C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Michelin PS4S or Nitto NT-01 for HPDE & Street Use

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 01:05 PM
anth115
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Help: Michelin PS4S or Nitto NT-01 for HPDE & Street Use

** Crossposted from the autocrossing subforum for more visibility.

Hey everyone,

It's that time of year again and I think my 2006 Z06 deserves some fresh rubber. My questions and some background info are below. Please share your feedback!

Background info:
- I drive 3-5k km per year (2-3k miles) which includes 4-8 HPDE days at Mosport (and hopefully Watkins Glen this year!). The street mileage includes everything from twisty backroads to 1hr highway drives to the beach. I want to keep my yearly mileage up to feel I'm getting good use out of owning this car.
- I'm currently on oem sized PSS made in 2013. I've done ~6 trackdays on these tires last year (total of ~10-12 days between this car and my M3). They have tons of tread left but they feel hardened and lack grip, so I want to upgrade my tires and need your help to make the best choice.
- I realize this is a situation of compromise, so to help understand my priorities, I'd say durability/cost effectiveness is more important than the absolute lowest laptime. There is a lot to learn with this car and I want my next tire to help facilitate that over the next few summers.

Questions:
1. Based on my usage above, do you think the PS4S or NT01 will be better suited for me? I don't drive this car in the rain.
2. Do you think the PS4S will get killed on the track/the NT01 will get killed on the street? I've only clocked a ~1.37 at Mosport on these current PSS to provide context.
3. The NT01 has been around forever while the PS4S uses newer technology. Do you think this narrows the gap that usually exists between these classes, or not really? The Michelins will cost me $200 CAD more than the Nittos.

Thanks in advance!
Anthony
Old 05-10-2018, 02:46 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Hoosier A7's on separate rims and change the tires out when you get to the track.

Hence the glitch with any tire for autocross, is you don't run the tires long enough to get them up to heat on a single lap run, so the A7's are super sticky from the start, and do not need to be run to bring them up to heat for full stick instead.
Note, don't use for the A7's for high speed road course work, where you are going to heat the tires up before the actual run, since they will wear out too fast when they are road coarse hot instead. For such use, then you would use the R7's instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 05-10-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:12 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,794 Posts

I would go with NT05s. They'e right in the middle of the two you mentioned, more aggressive than a Michelin but not as hardcore as the nt01.That said, of the two I would go with the nt01s. History shows you don' wear tires out with mileage, you will replace them from age way sooner than that. I also think your PSS have a lot more life left being from 2013, but that' your call.

Get notified of new replies

To Help: Michelin PS4S or Nitto NT-01 for HPDE & Street Use

Quick Reply: Help: Michelin PS4S or Nitto NT-01 for HPDE & Street Use