C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious Question Regarding Parking Space

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 08:35 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts
Default Serious Question Regarding Parking Space

A person could have worse troubles in life. I certainly realize that. With that said, here is my problem. My loving wife has granted me permission to buy another Corvette. Her words were, “I really think you should buy it”. I have my eye on a C3, but we don’t have garage space for another car. Currently we have a two car garage. My (our) C6 and her Jeep are in the garage. Our 41 year old Z/28, that’s been in my family since it was new, is kept in a nearby storage unit and driven once a month or more to keep it running well. (This unit is totally shaded by mature oaks which keeps the inside cool even in the Texas heat). My stepson’s car is parked in the driveway (or street) and he’s rarely home except at night. So, we have room in the driveway, but I hate to park outside in the elements especially in the summer when the temperature tops 100 degrees F all summer long and thunderstorms (with hail) roll thru on occasion.

Car and Driver released a list recently of the top things to do to keep your cars in top shape. Routine maintenance including regular oil changes, regular cleaning and washing, and parking indoors were the top three! I’m a firm believer in all three of those.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? Note: kicking her Jeep out of the garage is not an option. Doubling our monthly storage bill is not practical. I’ve heard of websites where people lease out their unused garage spaces but I haven’t seen this in our part of Texas. We already have car covers. I use one indoors on the C6 and the Z/28 is covered while in the storage unit. Maybe we could have a carport built? Has anyone here used a “car umbrella”? That is a real thing. Would a top-of-the-line cover be good enough to protect the car from the elements in the driveway? For what it’s worth, our driveway is 1/2 tree covered and shaded about 50% of the day. Like I said, as far as problems go, it could be worse. I’d love to ad a C3 to the stable, but the barn isn’t big enough!

What would you do ?
The following users liked this post:
98Gambler (05-17-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 08:56 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Metal carport.

https://www.alansfactoryoutlet.com/carports

I've got one. Used it for each of my C6s. Now using it for my 2018 Equinox.

Note, link provided just so you can get an idea what they look like. I bought mine locally.

Really comes in handy for the rare, but deadly hailstorms.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vette_DD:
Don-Vette (05-11-2018), Jstan2014 (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 08:57 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17, '19
Default Oh puleeezzzeeee!

It's so obvious...

You get the 2nd Vette... and you both get the new house with the multi-space (e.g, 4-6) garage/shop!

I know you said... "serious" -- but it's almost Friday... couldn't help it!

Last edited by OlyC6; 05-10-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Jstan2014 (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 09:02 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Originally Posted by OlyC6
It's so obvious...

You get the 2nd Vette... and you both get the new house with the multi-space (e.g, 4-6) garage/shop!

I know you said... "serious" -- but it's almost Friday... couldn't help it!
Ha! I should’ve added “new house with multi car garage “ also not an option.

But, you’re right. It’s almost Friday!
Old 05-10-2018, 09:03 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
Metal carport.

https://www.alansfactoryoutlet.com/carports

I've got one. Used it for each of my C6s. Now using it for my 2018 Equinox.

Note, link provided just so you can get an idea what they look like. I bought mine locally.

Really comes in handy for the rare, but deadly hailstorms.
Thanks! I’ll check these out.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:10 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Buy the c3, put the c6 outside, bitch and moan until she lets you keep the jeep outside. That's your best option unless you want to take your manhood back and TELL HER you'e buying a c3 and putting the vetted in the garage. Please note, I'm not married, so take my advice with that in mind. But my two vettes are in the garage and my girlfriends car stays outside with my truck.
Jstan2014 (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 09:26 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Buy the c3, put the c6 outside, bitch and moan until she lets you keep the jeep outside. That's your best option unless you want to take your manhood back and TELL HER you'e buying a c3 and putting the vetted in the garage. Please note, I'm not married, so take my advice with that in mind. But my two vettes are in the garage and my girlfriends car stays outside with my truck.
Manhood? I stopped wearing the pants around here a long time ago! She just lets me think I have a say in matters. (once I get the C3, she wants a 1970 El Camino). Happy wife, happy life.
The following 4 users liked this post by Jstan2014:
bikingles (05-11-2018), mkitt27 (05-11-2018), OlyC6 (05-11-2018), SLOjoe (05-18-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 09:54 PM
Todds427
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I have an option, same thing I did with my two car garage, buy a four post lift!!! Easy setup and cheap, now you have a three car garage!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Todds427:
Jstan2014 (05-10-2018), mellojoe (05-16-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 09:57 PM
Elijah71
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

Seriously?
It sounds like you have achieved a good place in life but have lost perspective of things.
Take a trip with the lovely wife to a less fortunate place in this world to put things back into perspective.
Come back and keep what you have and appreciate all that you have accomplished more.
The following 3 users liked this post by Elijah71:
airmed2 (05-13-2018), Jstan2014 (05-10-2018), koreanbeefcake (05-16-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 10:24 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Todds427
I have an option, same thing I did with my two car garage, buy a four post lift!!! Easy setup and cheap, now you have a three car garage!!
Excellent idea. I had not thought of that. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2018, 11:22 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

This is genius. Especially if you'e got nice tall ceilings.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:37 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Jstan2014
Manhood? I stopped wearing the pants around here a long time ago! She just lets me think I have a say in matters. (once I get the C3, she wants a 1970 El Camino). Happy wife, happy life.
You just answered your own question. Obviously the El Camino should not stay outside, so you definately need to build a bigger garage.
Jstan2014 (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 12:18 AM
Chris J
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

I have one and they are great
Jstan2014 (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 12:33 AM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Elijah71
Seriously?
It sounds like you have achieved a good place in life but have lost perspective of things.
Take a trip with the lovely wife to a less fortunate place in this world to put things back into perspective.
Come back and keep what you have and appreciate all that you have accomplished more.
Yes, seriously.

As I stated in post #1, I realize that people have problems more serious than I. Asking for suggestions regarding a parking situation clearly is not a serious problem. As far as having lost perspective of things, I certainly have not. I was attacked in 1991 at work by a man high on drugs laced with embalming fluid. They called it “smoking wet” at the time. I suffered a spinal cord injury along with two torn discs and three herniated discs in my lower back. I’ve had multiple surgeries including a double lumbar fusion, spinal decompressions, discectomies, epidural injections and other procedures to help repair the damage and ease the pain. My back still hurts every day of the week, yet I have not lost perspective, and I realize that it could be worse. One neurosurgeon commented that I was lucky not to be confined to a wheelchair in light of the spinal cord compression injury that I had. I continued to work and was able to retire 21 years later.

I’ve travelled to numerous countries and witnessed first hand the poverty and unthinkable conditions that millions of people live in around the world. I appreciate all that I have been able to achieve in life and I take none of it for granted. I was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma in 2016. Though not the deadliest of all cancers, deadly if not caught early and properly treated. I stopped counting the numerous biopsies, shavings, and surgical procedures I’ve had after fifty. I know it could be worse. I could be dead today. I haven’t lost perspective. I’ve gained a much better perspective of life in general. I realize that things could always be worse and that I’m still alive today. I fought back against a man who I have no doubt would’ve killed me if I let him, and I’m still fighting today. Please don’t misunderstand me. I realize that deciding whether I should buy another Corvette or not because I’m not sure where I’d park it is a wonderful problem to have. I think your intentions were good, but I assure you I have a very clear perspective of life and a true appreciation for it.

Best Regards,
Joe

Last edited by Jstan2014; 05-12-2018 at 11:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jstan2014:
BlackMamba89 (05-14-2018), Don-Vette (05-16-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 07:01 AM
Elijah71
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Jstan2014
Yes, seriously.

As I stated in post #1, I realize that people have problems more serious than I. Asking for suggestions regarding a parking situation clearly is not a serious problem. As far as having lost perspective of things, I certainly have not. I was attacked in 1991 at work by a man high on drugs laced with embalming fluid. They called it “smoking wet” at the time. I suffered a spinal chord injury along with two torn discs and three herniated discs in my lower back. I’ve had multiple surgeries including a double lumbar fusion, spinal decompressions, discectomies, epidural injections and other procedures to help repair the damage and ease the pain. My back still hurts every day of the week, yet I have not lost perspective, and I realize that it could be worse. One neurosurgeon commented that I was lucky not to be confined to a wheelchair in light of the spinal chord compression injury that I had. I continued to work and was able to retire 21 years later.

I’ve travelled to numerous countries and witnessed first hand the poverty and unthinkable conditions that millions of people live in around the world. I appreciate all that I have been able to achieve in life and I take non of it for granted. I was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma in 2016. Though not the deadliest of all cancers, deadly if not caught early and properly treated. I stopped counting the numerous biopsies, shavings, and surgical procedures I’ve had after fifty. I know it could be worse. I could be dead today. I haven’t lost perspective. I’ve gained a much better perspective of life in general. I realize that things could always be worse and that I’m still alive today. I fought back against a man who I have no doubt would’ve killed me if I let him, and I’m still fighting today. Please don’t misunderstand me. I realize that deciding whether I should buy another Corvette or not because I’m not sure where I’d park it is a wonderful problem to have. I think your intentions were good, but I assure you I have a very clear perspective of life and a true appreciation for it.

Best Regards,
Joe
Joe,
I stand corrected. You sir are absolutely right. I'm just so use to people being clueless about things and making issues out of the smallest things with no appreciation of what they have. No I'll will was meant.

I appreciate the small glimpse into your life.

As for parking do two of the suggestions above. Get 1 4 post lift and a car port. The Mrs. can decide if she wants her Jeep or El Camino i'n the car port. If the barn can be modified to fit 2of the cars then do that instead of a car port and lift.
Jstan2014 (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 07:22 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

I have the 4 post lift and it created a 7th spot in my 6 car garage, so good suggestion IF you have the ceiling space. I have 12' ceilings and any lower, I don't think it'll work unless you have a vert on or under the lift.

Another suggestion - If you have any single or retired person(s) in your neighborhood and they only have one car, consider offering to rent the other space. It puts your car right in the neighborhood and might be reasonable in terms of cost. If I were that person, I'd consider renting an extra space I had.
Jstan2014 (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 07:27 AM
huntfarm
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Google "car capsule" as long term storage. Life is just a bowl of cherries. Has been since "Tet" of '68. Enjoy
Jstan2014 (05-11-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Serious Question Regarding Parking Space

Old 05-11-2018, 07:39 AM
jshot00
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Adding a car port may not be an option as many cities have ordinances against it.
Jstan2014 (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 07:57 AM
RogerRamjet21
Pro

Received 217 Likes on 148 Posts

You can always cover it until you decide on a long term solution.
Attached Images  
Jstan2014 (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 08:09 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
I have the 4 post lift and it created a 7th spot in my 6 car garage, so good suggestion IF you have the ceiling space. I have 12' ceilings and any lower, I don't think it'll work unless you have a vert on or under the lift.

Another suggestion - If you have any single or retired person(s) in your neighborhood and they only have one car, consider offering to rent the other space. It puts your car right in the neighborhood and might be reasonable in terms of cost. If I were that person, I'd consider renting an extra space I had.
I had a 9 foot ceiling and I could park two C3s. I did have to add a garage panel door and raise the garage door opener. I don’t know how tall a C6 is though. There are garage door openers that connect to the garage door opener shaft.
Don’t by any means let anyone put a guilt trip on you for your successes. Consider how many people you fed, families you housed and kept safe in your rise to be a successful person. Congratulations!
Jstan2014 (05-11-2018)

Quick Reply: Serious Question Regarding Parking Space