C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wanted to switch lanes and lost control a bit

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 01:58 PM
Pylons
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Check out the ANSI site. It's not a commercial Web site; it's a real engineering database.
a. the article I linked references SAE documentation and a P.E. from SAE...if that's not real engineering...for automobiles, I'm not sure what is. But feel free to educate...I certainly don't mind being wrong and getting smarter from it

b. I don't care enough to research this any further. But feel free to educate...I certainly don't mind being wrong and getting smarter from it

c. regardless of which is semantically correct, everyone and their brother knew what the hell I was talking about

Last edited by Pylons; 05-12-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:32 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,148 Posts

Originally Posted by speedy08
it could be, im not sure but i have michelin pilot super sport. it drives beautifully if i drive normally. but if i wana have fun, sometimes traction control message comes upp. should i just drive easy until i get new tires next spring
Respectfully, you really need to get used to how the car behaves before you 'have fun'. This is particularly true for a relatively high horsepower RWD car, and especially on acceleration though turns. I don't know what your total driving experience is, but if it's mostly on FWD cars, then they behave very differently in certain circumstances, especially on tight turns. Kind of hard to get them to swap ends with too much throttle, but on the vette, not so much. If you can find a big vacant paved lot (with no parking curbs), that's a good place to figure out how much throttle you can give in making a turn 'coming off the line'. Your tires may not be the problem.

If they are part of the problem, it's spring now, so when you say 'next spring', do you mean a year from now? If your tires need to be replaced because they are old and 'have lost their grip', I wouldn't wait a year to replace them. You might plan to drive easy, but with the clowns out there driving around, you never know when you're going to need to pile on the brakes.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:57 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

next spring? like 2019? yes, drive conservatively and don't worry about handling in an emergency situation, when you need your tires to be top notch. they won't be.

if you think I'm wrong about my un-optimistic analysis, reread Icecap's post. my guess: he needed great tires and great active handling, abs, traction control, etc. to make it out of that one ALIVE.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:06 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

[QUOTE=slowstang305;1597180813]This is 100% true. Drive carefully, slow down and take it easy in adverse conditions. The car did what it

It was 56 degrees. You are absolutely right about "slow down" etc., but the conditions were not adverse, unless the OP left something out other than temp.

I just hope the OP does not press that little button, because he may not be ready for it....
Old 05-14-2018, 08:07 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
Treat the accelerator as a dimmer switch and not an on/off switch and you will be just fine.
Well put.......

Clif
Old 05-14-2018, 12:39 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by z06clif
Well put.......

Clif
I doubt the OP has the slightest idea what a dimmer switch is.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:10 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

it could be, im not sure but i have michelin pilot super sport. it drives beautifully if i drive normally. but if i wana have fun, sometimes traction control message comes upp. should i just drive easy until i get new tires next spring
You have good tires, assuming they aren't too old. If you want to play, put it in competitive driving mode and have fun.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:08 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
I doubt the OP has the slightest idea what a dimmer switch is.
Good thing I didn't say rheostat instead........
Old 05-25-2018, 11:51 AM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
It's ft-lbs...
I do not think Engineers will use the term "ft-lbs" anywhere because it would be extremely confusing, the letter "s" means seconds and the unit of power using ft and lb looks like this: ft-lbf/s notice that it is divided by seconds to get power.

1 Horsepower is 550 ft-lbf/s which is 746 Watts.

I can appreciate what you are trying to do just not how you are doing it (no explanation and seems motherly)

First, In fluid mechanics there is an immediate distinction between lbf and lbm, that is, pound force, and pound mass.
If you wanted to, you could say ft-lbf, "the fundamental unit of work in traditional system is the foot-pound" -page 11, eight edition, fluid mech.

Second, in other fields of engineering, they sometimes write a ft-lbf term as this: lbft or lb*ft, it means the same thing. pounds is being multiplied to feet, and both are over 1. And because multiplication, we can also say ft*lb or ftlb to the same result. It would be acceptable that way depending on the field.

Finally, IMO I dislike the use of "-" between ft and lbf because that makes it look like a minus sign is being used. When solving for solutions you wouldn't want the minus sign hanging around. Just be aware ft-lbf and ft-lbf/s is actually [(ft*lbf) / seconds] or feet times pound force all over seconds.

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 05-25-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:39 PM
hotrod03
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by C6KWJ
Please sell your car immediately....before you hurt yourself or someone else. I am sorry but you have no business owning a fast car if you don’t know what traction control or how to turn on off, etc.

I agree!! Am I we being punked?!
Old 05-25-2018, 12:49 PM
hotrod03
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

WTF??!!

Quick Reply: wanted to switch lanes and lost control a bit