C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People should really watch their mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 07:38 AM
iw172
Drifting

Location: Retired early,everyday is Saturday...Hocking Hills Ohio
Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

try the section of US1 from mainland Fla before Key Largo. 45 mph, only 2-3 passing zones. some crazy **** now...
Old 05-13-2018, 08:51 AM
Detroit1
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Default A HOLE Drivers Mecca

Originally Posted by speedy08
Was in my own lane minding my own business then this car beside me on her own lane then her lane ended and she just merged on to mine without looking and anything. I braked just in time but comon how reckless can people be
Don't know where you live. We are now living in Southeast Florida and this is by far the worst driving I have ever experienced.

Thinking about selling the Vette and buying a used police car . This way when they almost hit me I can turn into them rather than away!

I am buying a dash video cam. At least I can have evidence if the idiots have insurance.

Jim Ft Lauderdale
The following users liked this post:
iw172 (05-14-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 10:30 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by duckvett
No...most people on the road are dumbasses who can't pay attention and don't give a sh**. You are not as important as they are and they can't be bothered to think about someone other than themselves.

Does clear it up for you?

From your grumpy, old uncle.
....And very well said !! Quite a few years back we became a "ME ME ME" society and it's only getting worse.......
Old 05-13-2018, 10:36 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by airmed2
Also a motorcycle rider, survival is enhanced by driving defensively, riding as if you're invisible, and anticipating everyone else's movements. Situational awareness at its finest. The same approach should be applied when driving with four wheels, too...especially these days with all the distractions.
After almost 50 years of M/C riding and never (luckily) having gone down, I would say the best way to stay out of trouble on two wheels is to greatly re-search "Murphys Law" and then apply it to all of the possibilities one may come across out in the "Danger Zone" we call our public streets......

Last edited by windyC6; 05-13-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:06 AM
harleypower69
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default we are invisible to others

I too am a M/C rider and can echo most of the responses posted here. Those of us who chose to join here have that commonality of enjoying performance vehicles. We have at least a better clue than the average carbon based life form on how to drive. We understand the need for situational awareness while on the road or track. Having ridden motorcycles for 52 years of my life I have a firm grasp on the vulnerabilities we experience when on the road. I ride everything from BSA's, H-D's, BMW's, Ducati's, Honda's, Suzuki's to my current favorite a Triumph Speed Triple 1050. It is dangerous on the roads and we are invisible no matter what we choose to drive / ride. I ran headers and side pipes on my C3 and I do note that nobody drove next to me for very long on the highway. I plan to do the same on my GS once we move out of Maricopa County to an area that does not do emissions testing. I will note that I run performance exhausts on my bikes with either two into one or three into one collectors in the hopes of dissuading others from merging unaware through my lane.
I used to think the worst drivers in the US were from MA. Now living in AZ I can assure you that we have a firm lock on stupid drivers here.

Last edited by harleypower69; 05-13-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:18 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

its so bad lately,im about ready to let them hit me

the damned people getting on an entrance lane-just turn onto the lane if your there or not

''ITS YOUR JOB TO MERGE''-''NOT MINE TO CHANGE LANES SO YOU CAN GET ONTO A HWY''

read the ''rules of the road''
Old 05-13-2018, 03:22 PM
c6crazy
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by iw172
try the section of US1 from mainland Fla before Key Largo. 45 mph, only 2-3 passing zones. some crazy **** now...
What is it about Fla drivers coming off an on ramp? I have had someone twice tried to side swipe my car trying to merge into traffic, then looked at me and flipped me off when I wouldn't budge and we were less than 12" apart. I couldn't move over due to other lane occupied.
iw172 (05-14-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 03:37 PM
c6crazy
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
After almost 50 years of M/C riding and never (luckily) having gone down, I would say the best way to stay out of trouble on two wheels is to greatly re-search "Murphys Law" and then apply it all of the possibilities one may come across out in the "Danger Zone" we call our public streets......
Sometimes we not so lucky. As I'm a very defensive MC driver, I met my match 8 months ago. I was beside a lady who was too busy looking at her friend in passenger side and not hearing my horn, as she merged into my lane. I merge over into a left hand turn lane but ran out of road and hit a curb. $120,000 in medical bills, 15,000 in bike repair, broke neck, crushed hand, lacerated liver, other internal injuries and broken eye socket and was suppose to have died in ER. 8 weeks of having to be driven around, I saw how badly drivers are esp women on their cell phones. Spoke to many riders who have had their share of close calls. I love my bike and riding just don't know if its worth it . Thinking of trading my coupe for a GS Vert to get the experience of both.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:34 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

No...most people on the road are dumbasses who can't pay attention and don't give a sh**. You are not as important as they are and they can't be bothered to think about someone other than themselves.

but thats why States give Defensive driving courses. You must put yourself in the other drivers position and anticipate ******* moves. Otherwise there are 2 jerks on the road . You just have to be a bigger person and trust to karma

Clif
Old 05-13-2018, 08:13 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by speedy08
Was in my own lane minding my own business then this car beside me on her own lane then her lane ended and she just merged on to mine without looking and anything. I braked just in time but comon how reckless can people be
It's just a case of defensive driving. Expect others to do something stupid, and have a plan of escape...
iw172 (05-14-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 09:36 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by z06clif
but thats why States give Defensive driving courses. You must put yourself in the other drivers position and anticipate ******* moves. Otherwise there are 2 jerks on the road . You just have to be a bigger person and trust to karma

Clif
SOME jurisdictions allow going to school to get the ticket dismissed or reduced but not all.

In Md, they are all but non-existaant.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:43 PM
Jc11Z
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People these days have no concept of what merge means much less state law on merging. People think everyone else should just get out of there way. Entitlement.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:39 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jc11Z
People these days have no concept of what merge means much less state law on merging. People think everyone else should just get out of there way. Entitlement.
LOL....I know this is right. Just watch people these days using a highway entrance ramp. They just pull out into traffic without even looking assuming that everyone is gonna get out of their way. What ever happened to the correct way of entering the highway ??
Old 05-14-2018, 02:01 PM
BlackMamba89
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's a 2-lane highway and I am passing a merge lane onto the highway, I get in the left lane to allow those trying to merge the ability to merge. Particularly in the city I currently live in, calling it an on-ramp is an exaggeration in some spots as there is very little room whatsoever for people to merge. Then if they end up having to hit the brakes as nobody will allow them to get in, they'll be waiting for a while and back up traffic more due to not having enough room to get up to speed without cutting somebody off. Takes no effort on my part to just get in the left lane as I'm passing the on ramp to allow people to smoothly merge onto the highway. Now, if it's rush-hour traffic and you cannot get over, that's a different story.

If it's a 3-lane or greater highway, then people shouldn't be in the farthest right lane anyways, blocking people from getting on, then you're just an *******. Sure, there are times where it's an on-ramp/off-ramp situation, meaning the beginning of the lane is an on-ramp and the end of the lane turns into an off-ramp, which in my experience, people have generally worked well to have a 1 and 1 situation (one person merges on, one person merges off). Otherwise, should be riding in the middle lane, unless passing or exiting.

I definitely get annoyed at people who won't move over, when traffic is free flowing and both lanes are wide open, thus blocking mergers from getting on. It's inconsiderate from my point of view as you're just creating more inefficiencies/friction for nothing. Same thing with the douchebags who know that their lane is closed (due to several signs along the path) that drive all the way up to the front to cut off the line and then proceed to cut somebody off to slide into the lane. Then everybody has to hit their brakes, thereby slowing down traffic even further.

Instead of creating more chaos when driving, I go with the flow and path of least resistance. "Be water, my friend"

Last edited by BlackMamba89; 05-14-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Jstan2014 (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 02:22 PM
tealex
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

That's the real answer........I agree 100%
Old 05-14-2018, 03:00 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BlackMamba89
If it's a 2-lane highway and I am passing a merge lane onto the highway, I get in the left lane to allow those trying to merge the ability to merge. Particularly in the city I currently live in, calling it an on-ramp is an exaggeration in some spots as there is very little room whatsoever for people to merge. Then if they end up having to hit the brakes as nobody will allow them to get in, they'll be waiting for a while and back up traffic more due to not having enough room to get up to speed without cutting somebody off. Takes no effort on my part to just get in the left lane as I'm passing the on ramp to allow people to smoothly merge onto the highway. Now, if it's rush-hour traffic and you cannot get over, that's a different story.

If it's a 3-lane or greater highway, then people shouldn't be in the farthest right lane anyways, blocking people from getting on, then you're just an *******. Sure, there are times where it's an on-ramp/off-ramp situation, meaning the beginning of the lane is an on-ramp and the end of the lane turns into an off-ramp, which in my experience, people have generally worked well to have a 1 and 1 situation (one person merges on, one person merges off). Otherwise, should be riding in the middle lane, unless passing or exiting.

I definitely get annoyed at people who won't move over, when traffic is free flowing and both lanes are wide open, thus blocking mergers from getting on. It's inconsiderate from my point of view as you're just creating more inefficiencies/friction for nothing. Same thing with the douchebags who know that their lane is closed (due to several signs along the path) that drive all the way up to the front to cut off the line and then proceed to cut somebody off to slide into the lane. Then everybody has to hit their brakes, thereby slowing down traffic even further.

Instead of creating more chaos when driving, I go with the flow and path of least resistance. "Be water, my friend"
LOL.....You must be one of those people that don't know how to, or have never been taught how to enter a highway. First and foremost calling it an "On ramp" is spot on as it is used to "Get onto" the highway. I called it an entrance ramp. The "Correct" way to get onto a highway is to build or reduce speed so you can blend into the traffic lane. Of course sometimes you're gonna have to squeeze in to a spot, esp. during heavy traffic. Now if people in the right lane are kind enough to help people out by getting over to make room for someone entering the highway then thats good, but the person entering the highway should not rely on anyone getting out of their way....they should pay attention and begin watching the right lane flow of traffic long before they get to the end of the entrance ramp. Sometimes people in the right lane are so worried about being the "nice guy" that they will slow down or dis-rupt the entire highway just cause they want to get out of the right lane to let someone in, and thats just dangerous......
Old 05-14-2018, 03:41 PM
BlackMamba89
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
LOL.....You must be one of those people that don't know how to, or have never been taught how to enter a highway. First and foremost calling it an "On ramp" is spot on as it is used to "Get onto" the highway. I called it an entrance ramp. The "Correct" way to get onto a highway is to build or reduce speed so you can blend into the traffic lane. Of course sometimes you're gonna have to squeeze in to a spot, esp. during heavy traffic. Now if people in the right lane are kind enough to help people out by getting over to make room for someone entering the highway then thats good, but the person entering the highway should not rely on anyone getting out of their way....they should pay attention and begin watching the right lane flow of traffic long before they get to the end of the entrance ramp. Sometimes people in the right lane are so worried about being the "nice guy" that they will slow down or dis-rupt the entire highway just cause they want to get out of the right lane to let someone in, and thats just dangerous......
LOL...You must have read what you wanted to read instead of what I wrote. Also, you make quite an *** out of yourself assuming what I do when trying to merge (since I didn't describe what I do when on that side of the fence). I never said the person should rely on people being thoughtful and moving over, if they are able to. What I said is, I do that (that being a short change to the left lane before moving back over to the right) IF I AM ABLE TO, meaning not rush-hour traffic (which I noted in my post). It takes nothing for me to do and it helps reduce friction. I actually made zero comments as to how I enter a highway. I'm a highly-defensive driver; I assume everybody is distracted or a shitty driver. I'm always looking before I merge/as I merge. Yes, I definitely get annoyed when somebody could have easily gone into the left lane and then came back over (because that's what I personally do and I consider it to be the considerate thing to do). I didn't say they were breaking the law, that they had to- what I said was, it's the considerate thing to do and it helps reduce friction. Considerate =/= legal. The person traveling in the right lane doesn't have to slow down, doesn't have to do anything dangerous whatsoever. If the left lane is open and they themselves are not cutting anybody off by moving to the left, then they are simply being courteous towards the person trying to get in while of no cost to themselves. There are a lot of on-ramps here that, like I described in my prior post, are extremely short and are also uphill + walls; meaning that by the time you are at a level such that you can see the traffic you are supposed to be merging in to, you have an extremely short length of road to accomplish that. It's seemingly a really poor design choice in certain parts of the city I live in. In those cases, no the driver in the right lane does NOT have to move to the left lane, but it's the courteous thing to do and costs them nothing, assuming not rush-hour traffic (in which case, nobody is driving as blazing speeds anyways, so merging will be slow regardless).

So congrats on your condescending as **** post, which addressed comments I never made, but that you felt arrogant enough to place on to me.

Get notified of new replies

To People should really watch their mirrors

Old 05-14-2018, 04:49 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

In Texas and many other states, the left lane is for passing only, and all traffic is supposed to remain in the right lane. Even on multi-lane roads, the far right lane is for slower traffic. People "shouldn't" have to be in the middle lane if they are unable to keep up with traffic in that lane, or simply don't want to drive that fast. It's the responsibility of the person merging onto the freeway to find an open spot. It's NOT the responsibility of those already on the freeway to accommodate someone else.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 05-14-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:49 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

LOL...You must have read what you wanted to read instead of what I wrote. Also, you make quite an *** out of yourself assuming what I do when trying to merge (since I didn't describe what I do when on that side of the fence). I never said the person should rely on people being thoughtful and moving over, if they are able to. What I said is, I do that (that being a short change to the left lane before moving back over to the right) IF I AM ABLE TO, meaning not rush-hour traffic (which I noted in my post). It takes nothing for me to do and it helps reduce friction. I actually made zero comments as to how I enter a highway. I'm a highly-defensive driver; I assume everybody is distracted or a shitty driver. I'm always looking before I merge/as I merge. Yes, I definitely get annoyed when somebody could have easily gone into the left lane and then came back over (because that's what I personally do and I consider it to be the considerate thing to do). I didn't say they were breaking the law, that they had to- what I said was, it's the considerate thing to do and it helps reduce friction. Considerate =/= legal. The person traveling in the right lane doesn't have to slow down, doesn't have to do anything dangerous whatsoever. If the left lane is open and they themselves are not cutting anybody off by moving to the left, then they are simply being courteous towards the person trying to get in while of no cost to themselves. There are a lot of on-ramps here that, like I described in my prior post, are extremely short and are also uphill + walls; meaning that by the time you are at a level such that you can see the traffic you are supposed to be merging in to, you have an extremely short length of road to accomplish that. It's seemingly a really poor design choice in certain parts of the city I live in. In those cases, no the driver in the right lane does NOT have to move to the left lane, but it's the courteous thing to do and costs them nothing, assuming not rush-hour traffic (in which case, nobody is driving as blazing speeds anyways, so merging will be slow regardless).

So congrats on your condescending as **** post, which addressed comments I never made, but that you felt arrogant enough to place on to me.
Oh No !!...Nice try there uh Skippy. You stated that....QUOTE "I definitely get annoyed at people that won't move over when traffic is free-flowing and both lanes are wide open, thus blocking mergers from getting on"....END QUOTE. This simple fact that this "Annoys You", puts all this into perspective......
Old 05-14-2018, 07:17 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
It's every driver's responsibility to look out for every other driver on the road.

It's called defensive driving, and usually drivers who go long periods w/o connecting with others (or allowing them to connect with them) utilize this. Anticipate others' actions by paying attention.

Knowing you are in a car that is difficult to spot (low, little, faster than other's anticipate, etc.) makes this concept doubly important.
totally I always try to leave myself in a place where there is room to go if needed.
The worst I find is when passing in the left lane on a 3-4 lane highway and pulling back in, to watch for those that are passing from the right hand lanes and pulling in to the same lane as your going to.

Have to be watching those rear mirrors all the time to try to avoid trouble.

Quick Reply: People should really watch their mirrors