C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those Who Have NON RunFlats ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 11:49 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Yes, I could have been a little more specific with replace with a pair," just as one would when replacing with any non-identical tire; RF or not, Summer or A/S. Even replacing a complete pair with an identical tire when significant tread is worn instead of just one.

That said, a little common sense goes a long way, and often when on the road, temporary repairs (of many sorts, not just tires) may have to be made to get you to where you need to go/or where permanent repairs can be done.

As for policies, they differ from brand to brand, and even more so from shop to shop. Some places are more willing and flexible in order to get a stranded motorist back on the road than others.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:19 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Well DUH !!!! Thats part of the reason they are faster.....the tires and wheels save about XXX amount of #'s.....
The adults are talking here move on.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:37 AM
mike3LT
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

After reading various opinions on runflat vs non-runflat prior to this thread, I am 99% sure I will be getting non-runflats (Michelin Pilot 4S) when it's time. I like the concept of runflats, and I am not bothered nor have I noticed any handling or noise issues, but for how I use the car I feel I can safely forego them.

As someone with an economic background who specializes in risk management (not risk elimination), for me it comes down to the expected value of a flat, which considers the likelihood of a flat occurring and the dollar cost associated with remedying said flat for each non-runflat and runflat option.

My background situation/logic:

1. 80% of my driving occurs in a 30 mile radius in a major city. Car is only driven 7 months/year.

2. Car is driven on a 3 hour trip to visit parents every six weeks or so. Major highways, never after dusk.

3. The risk of a flat is relatively low, runflats do cost more from what I've seen, and despite recent advances, 9/10 doctors agree that non-runflats have better handling and ride quality.

4. In the event I do get a flat, I'm carrying slime/fix-a-flat (more research needed here) and a small portable compressor. Possibly a plug kit as well.

5. There appears to be a difference of opinion on patching runflats, but it seems likely I would have to replace the damaged tire and its counterpart in the event of a flat. This reduces a lot of value, to me.

In the end, it's a decision to simply insure something you fear strongly enough. It's similar to the reason I'll but the retailer's extra warranty on the 60k mile tires on my sedan but pass on them for the Vette. In the case of each, I'm basically paying for a 5th tire upfront that I may never use, but the likelihood I'll need it is higher for 60k miles than 15k-20k.

Maybe I'm wrong - only one way to find out. But nothing wrong with going the runflat option like I said, and welcome any counter-opinions that would change my mind.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:02 AM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

my suggestion is this... lets stop this thread right here. No more posting needed. We wait till the next thread on Run Flats start - which will be approx 1-2 weeks is my guess.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:11 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,752 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by madsonp; 05-19-2018 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Deleted
Old 05-19-2018, 04:34 PM
Batman75
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

[QUOTE=Cherokee Nation;1597229751]
Originally Posted by Batman75
I liked the Goodyears.I've done a couple of high speed runs close to 180 mph on the GYs with no worry.I had never even heard of Michelins until i got a vette and joined this forum...This old man (74) is like you..No Plugging in the middle of nowhere!!
I can't figure out why anyone would go to such extremes trying to make a Corvette ride like a Cadillac.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:04 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Batman75

I can't figure out why anyone would go to such extremes trying to make a Corvette ride like a Cadillac.
For me it's not about making my car ride like a Caddy, it's all about better performance. You won't find run flats on any race track.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:21 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 182 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
For me it's not about making my car ride like a Caddy, it's all about better performance. You won't find run flats on any race track.
That statement isn't accurate Ed. I have run the GY Supercar tires as OEM on the Z-51 optioned cars, Same tire but larger size on the GS, Michelin RF's and Michelin Pilot SS Non-RF's and I run with the advanced Intermediate groups. No problems keeping up. I chose not to push the car any harder and going to R-Comp tires with all of the associated issues that go along with that level. The GY Supercar tires work pretty good on a track. The Michelins work well to, perhaps a bit better but not by leaps and bounds as some would have you believe. They Michelins are not any quieter either, RF or nonRF
The caveat is the GY's that come on the base model. I have never owned a base model, but a friend of mine does and he says the base model tires are not as good as the Supercar tires that came on the Z-06, GS, and Z-51 optioned cars. So one must compare apples-to-apples and I don't see that happen very often on the forum. Keeping in the same comparisons mode, Comparing hard 5 year old tires to new isn't correct either, yet there are plenty of threads that do so.

So comparing RF's to nonRF's for a daily driver, for me the answer depends. If I lived in a rural area or where getting a flat can be a tough situation, I would go with RF's especially if in a desert area. RF's or not, I carry a complete tire repair kit, and no slime. I can quickly plug a tire and re-inflate in less time than it takes to change it.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:09 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=Batman75;1597233143]
Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation

No ****....

Last edited by Cherokee Nation; 05-19-2018 at 11:17 PM. Reason: add
Old 05-19-2018, 11:13 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

For me it's not about making my car ride like a Caddy, it's all about better performance. You won't find run flats on [B]any[/B] race track.
You are so wrong Ed.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:22 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C6 Snowboarder
my suggestion is this... lets stop this thread right here. No more posting needed. We wait till the next thread on Run Flats start - which will be approx 1-2 weeks is my guess.
BUT: I'm staying with Run-Flats!!!
The following users liked this post:
GARYFINN (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 08:00 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Why would you need them there ???
Old 05-22-2018, 04:19 PM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I just received my ContiComfortKit today. These are from Tirerack and are now on clearance. I had one in my 2002 vert. My 2008 vert already had new non-runflats on it when I purchased it in March.

I'll keep this kit and my AAA card until later this year and then I'm putting Firestone Firehawks on it as a Christmas present for myself.
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2018, 06:16 PM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
Plug kit, needle nose pliers and an air pump. I have actually plugged a tire on a car more than once.
Yup, its not as hard as it sounds. Plus, if youre near home - just fill up the tire, leave the nail/??/?? in it and drive home to do the flat repair.

I have yet to have a tire bleed air so quickly that I couldn't get home after a single fill up.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:54 PM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
In understand the FIX A FLAT ruins your Rim and Tire Is that True ??
The current recipe is water based and cleans up easily. Unlike the original formulation which was a bitch to remove. Many shops would not touch such a tire.

Last edited by Larry Myers; 05-22-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:21 PM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by bibbster
Remember though, you can typically only drive 50 miles on run flats and no more than 50mph in most cases.

And one other thing...you can't repair a run flat in certain situations. They have to be replaced.
The 50 mile limit is an effort to ensure the tire is still repairable.

When run flat tires became available in the mid 90s the limit was 200 miles. Soon it became apparent this distance was too great and the limit was lowered to where it is today.

If more than 50 miles from help, at the risk of sacrificing a tire, am certainly not going to simply stop. The tire does not disintegrate at 50 miles.

Damage that may render a run flat unrepairable also apply to a conventional tire.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:33 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Larry Myers
The 50 mile limit is an effort to ensure the tire is still repairable.

When run flat tires became available in the mid 90s the limit was 200 miles. Soon it became apparent this distance was too great and the limit was lowered to where it is today.

If more than 50 miles from help, at the risk of sacrificing a tire, am certainly not going to simply stop. The tire does not disintegrate at 50 miles.

Damage that may render a run flat unrepairable also apply to a conventional tire.
You will ruin a Non-Runflat in a couple of blocks of driving and possible your rim also.

Get notified of new replies

To Those Who Have NON RunFlats ???

Old 05-23-2018, 10:32 PM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Flat tire?

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
That statement isn't accurate Ed. I have run the GY Supercar tires as OEM on the Z-51 optioned cars, Same tire but larger size on the GS, Michelin RF's and Michelin Pilot SS Non-RF's and I run with the advanced Intermediate groups. No problems keeping up. I chose not to push the car any harder and going to R-Comp tires with all of the associated issues that go along with that level. The GY Supercar tires work pretty good on a track. The Michelins work well to, perhaps a bit better but not by leaps and bounds as some would have you believe. They Michelins are not any quieter either, RF or nonRF
The caveat is the GY's that come on the base model. I have never owned a base model, but a friend of mine does and he says the base model tires are not as good as the Supercar tires that came on the Z-06, GS, and Z-51 optioned cars. So one must compare apples-to-apples and I don't see that happen very often on the forum. Keeping in the same comparisons mode, Comparing hard 5 year old tires to new isn't correct either, yet there are plenty of threads that do so.

So comparing RF's to nonRF's for a daily driver, for me the answer depends. If I lived in a rural area or where getting a flat can be a tough situation, I would go with RF's especially if in a desert area. RF's or not, I carry a complete tire repair kit, and no slime. I can quickly plug a tire and re-inflate in less time than it takes to change it.
yeah. Since tire changers don't like that slime to deal with I'm carrying tire plugs and a portable compressor. It was the first thing I got almost five years ago. But, I've never had to use it; never had a flat (knock on wood).
Old 05-24-2018, 12:17 AM
gmtech1234
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

As far as plugs, I pluged a tire on my Silverado as it was sunday. Discount Tire said they couldn’t patch the tire because
I used the plug.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:24 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by gmtech1234
As far as plugs, I pluged a tire on my Silverado as it was sunday. Discount Tire said they couldn’t patch the tire because
I used the plug.
That makes no sense to me.

I think I'd want a bit more clarification.

Take it to a different shop.

Quick Reply: Those Who Have NON RunFlats ???