C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those Who Have NON RunFlats ???

Old 05-14-2018, 04:24 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
Does Fix A Flat actually work ??? have you ever used it ????
Fingers crossed, haven't had a flat in 30 years.

Going off recommenations on the FAF.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:39 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by bibbster
Plug Kit
Air compressor
Scissor Jack
Breaker bar with socket

The first two items do you no good unless you can get full access to the tire, so a scissor jack and breaker bar with the appropriate socket for the lug nuts.

My insurance also has road hazard included should I need it.
Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Don't forget a pair of "dikes" or side cutters to extract the nail or whatever
NSF

All you need, no waiting for a wrecker, lack of cell service, or possibility of ruining the TPS with goop.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:46 PM
cessna10
cesssna10
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by c6crazy
AAA....
Old 05-14-2018, 05:14 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,749 Likes on 4,213 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

My last 5 vehicles didn’t come with spare tires nor run flat tires. I had a few nails over the years but nothing that caused immediate total loss of tire pressure. I have the Slime kit with compressor in the rear cubby & roadside assistance through insurance should I need it.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:38 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk0210
You may not need the jack (especially for a front tire), but it's not all that hard to jack the car and remove the wheel. It's better than laying under the car on the side of the road while trying to locate and pull the nail, ream the hole and insert the plug.
Well of course the find...pull...and plug aspect is gonna be easier when the tire is off....but guess one has to decide which is more of a PITA.....laying down and reaching a little bit to attack the problem, or pulling out the jack....being sure the jack is stable (which isn't always easy on the side of the road)....then jacking the car up. Then pulling out the breaker bar and dealing with the popping off of all the lugs (maybe a locking one or two), then repeating the process all over in reverse after you've gone through the find...pull...and plug routine. I dunno...since I would attack the rear tire from the rear (more clearance), I think it may wind up being less hassle leaving the jack in the trunk.....if you own a vert...LOL.....
Old 05-14-2018, 06:06 PM
Texan79423
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Fix a flat

What does fix a flat do to your TPMS?
Old 05-14-2018, 06:31 PM
mellojoe
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
I have AAA and a cell phone.
This really is the correct answer. I mean, even Chevy sedans are running without spare tires these days.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:11 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I've been on Non Runflats for 75K miles, many long road trips, and only once have I had any issues with the tires. I got the low tire pressure (rear tire) on one of our longer trips. At the next rest stop, I pumped up the tire higher than normal, kept an eye on the pressure and it stayed above 30 psi until we stopped for the day of driving at approx 5pm.
At the hotel parking lot, I found the culprit, a screw that I picked up somewhere enroute. I pumped up the pressure to approx 40 psi, used the side cutters to pull out the screw, and plugged it. It was almost in the middle of the thread pattern of the tire. Once the plug was in, I used the side cutters to cut the protruding plug even with the tire. I reduced the pressure back to 30 psi, left it overnight, and in the morning it was still at the same pressure. I ran that tire with plug the entire trip. I did change out all 4 tires during the winter hibernation.

The stuff I carry
12 v compressor
side cutter pliers
Plug kit
Can of Slime
A small blanket to lay or kneel on.
Some Nitrile gloves

I have roadside assistance on my insurance, and of course a cell phone. My GPS will give any coordinates needed.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 05-14-2018 at 07:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
h8snow (05-16-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 07:49 PM
Warden398
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Viair 77P Portable Compressor which comes in a small soft side case. A Dynaplug Ultralite Xtreme Tubeless Tire Repair Tool Kit, a pair of side cutters and gloves. Everything fits in the soft side compressor case in the rear compartment.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:06 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

I use a product called Stop-n-go tire repair plugs. They are mushroom shaped and work well on Run Flats, and seal the belts from water degradation , hence the warnings about repairing run flats. I also use a small compressor. All built for motorcycles so it doesn't take up much room in the storage compartments. I've had to use it a couple of times, so I know it works, and even have a few track sessions without problems.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:07 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

I use a product called Stop-n-go tire repair plugs. They are mushroom shaped and work well on Run Flats, and seal the belts from water degradation , hence the warnings about repairing run flats. I also use a small compressor. All built for motorcycles so it doesn't take up much room in the storage compartments. I've had to use it a couple of times, so I know it works, and even have a few track sessions without problems.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:13 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Plug Kit
Air compressor
Scissor Jack
Breaker bar with socket

The first two items do you no good unless you can get full access to the tire, so a scissor jack and breaker bar with the appropriate socket for the lug nuts.

My insurance also has road hazard included should I need it.
I would add a fix a flat kit though. There may be that time (and with Murphy's law) that you don't have time to screw around with a plug kit. Make sure you have a good compressor also. I use them in stages depending on severity of leak.

Air compressor for slow leaks.
Fix a flat for those times I mentioned above when you really don't have time or room to mess around.
Plug kit so when you do have time/room.
Hazard insurance for those times when you are screwed no matter what.

I still keep these items and I use run flats now mainly because the A/S 3+ was only available in run flats. In about 60k miles of driving C6s I never had to use any of it though. (knocking on wood).
The following users liked this post:
spawrtan (07-26-2020)
Old 05-14-2018, 08:35 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
I've been on Non Runflats for 75K miles, many long road trips, and only once have I had any issues with the tires. I got the low tire pressure (rear tire) on one of our longer trips. At the next rest stop, I pumped up the tire higher than normal, kept an eye on the pressure and it stayed above 30 psi until we stopped for the day of driving at approx 5pm.
At the hotel parking lot, I found the culprit, a screw that I picked up somewhere enroute. I pumped up the pressure to approx 40 psi, used the side cutters to pull out the screw, and plugged it. It was almost in the middle of the thread pattern of the tire. Once the plug was in, I used the side cutters to cut the protruding plug even with the tire. I reduced the pressure back to 30 psi, left it overnight, and in the morning it was still at the same pressure. I ran that tire with plug the entire trip. I did change out all 4 tires during the winter hibernation.

The stuff I carry
12 v compressor
side cutter pliers
Plug kit
Can of Slime
A small blanket to lay or kneel on.
Some Nitrile gloves

I have roadside assistance on my insurance, and of course a cell phone. My GPS will give any coordinates needed.
Good call on the gloves Paul Gonna go put some in right now
NSF
Old 05-14-2018, 09:12 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

Speaking as someone who has had a tire fail catastrophically - while driving to work there will be some tire failures that nothing short of a new tire is going to fix. So - part of the emergency plan has to involve getting the car towed. (I believe I ran over something that caused a bad tire leak as I drove in to work - the car seemed fine - then maybe 20 mils of highway driving later - I noticed the handling wasn't "right" - then I noticed that tire rubber smell - then seconds later - BANG !!!!) This was not in a Vette but on a FWD Daily Driver - let's just say the tire was trashed beyond any hope of salvage.

So - in addition to a AAA card, I have a relatively small air compressor, a couple of valve cores, a pair of nitrile gloves, a tire plug kit and a can of (supposedly) tire pressure sensor safe tire sealant in the car. In most cases - my belief is that if there is something in the tire - I'm going to try to make it to home or at least to work - where there is a safe place to park before trying to deal with it - even if that means I have to pull off and re-inflate the tire every 10 miles... The sealant is not something I intend to use - but I carry it just in case of emergency...

Yes, this all costs money, takes up space and adds weight. BUT - the money I saved by going for non-run flat tires more than paid for everything (with a lot left over). The stuff described above fits into one of the rear storage compartments, and while it does add weight - check the weight of a run-flat vs. a non run flat tire....

BTW - If you have a C6 - I also recommend that you carry a decent set of booster cables - or at least a Jump pack. If you read through C6 owner posts - it seems that C6's are notorious for battery failures. Guess that's why there are two storage compartments in the back...
Old 05-14-2018, 09:22 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Small compressor/AAA. So far, so good. I check tire pressures on a daily basis. Make sure the cell is charged.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:47 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,884 Likes on 792 Posts

Well, AAA, tire plug kit, and a reinflation kit from Griot's Garage. Has small air compressor with a built in line of slime type product that can be used with the air compressor or not. The kit is the same used by Porsche and Mercedes. The new non-run flat tires (Michelin Pilot Sports A/S3) are so smooth and quiet....what a difference versus factory issue.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:59 PM
FloridaC6
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have non-run flat Michelin’s and got a screw in my back tire. Took the tire off and couldn’t get the plug to go thru the tire. Very frustrating. Ended up bringing it to a tire shop so they could remove the tire and put a patch on it. Glad it has a patch instead of a plug.

Get notified of new replies

To Those Who Have NON RunFlats ???

Old 05-15-2018, 12:15 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by c6crazy
AAA....
So you carry a spare???
Old 05-15-2018, 12:30 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by windyC6
A couple things here. I use the plug kit philosophy also, but I don't carry a jack, or a torque wrench. Why can't you just let the car roll forward or backwards to locate nail--screw--or whatever caused leak ? And for goodness sakes, why would one worry about applying the exact torque needed to lug nuts under a road hazard condition? If you feel the need to remove the wheel then Just tighten the nuts nice and snug then worry about the proper torque when the time is more convenient?........
I've never used a torque tool in my many years on this planet and never lost a lug nut....
Old 05-15-2018, 12:40 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Remember though, you can typically only drive 50 miles on run flats and no more than 50mph in most cases.

And one other thing...you can't repair a run flat. They have to be replaced.
That is BS dude,I've had many RFs patched..Where did you get that info from.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Those Who Have NON RunFlats ???