C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those Who Have NON RunFlats ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 01:33 AM
corvette312
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Why buy a jack, fix a flat kit, etc, etc and have more junk in the trunk of the car while it is cheaper and simpler just to get a run flat tire and be over with. I had the bad experience to get a flat on my Vette in the middle of the woods and my run flats took me home (62 miles) with no issues whatsoever. I stayed in my car and drove home with the flat. Thank heavens for RF !!!
Old 05-16-2018, 06:56 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette312
Why buy a jack, fix a flat kit, etc, etc and have more junk in the trunk of the car while it is cheaper and simpler just to get a run flat tire and be over with. I had the bad experience to get a flat on my Vette in the middle of the woods and my run flats took me home (62 miles) with no issues whatsoever. I stayed in my car and drove home with the flat. Thank heavens for RF !!!
Looks like I will be getting some Bridgestone RF's.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:18 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Personal preference. I hate the way run flats ride.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:46 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Personal preference. I hate the way run flats ride.
Buy a Lexus
Old 05-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
Buy a Lexus
Buy a can of fix-a-flat
The following users liked this post:
Corvette_Ed (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 01:11 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane
Buy a can of fix-a-flat
buy some runflats then there is no need for all that power robbing equipment you have to keep in the car
Old 05-16-2018, 01:25 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

buy some runflats then there is no need for all that power robbing equipment you have to keep in the car
If a 16oz can of fix a flat and an AAA card is too much weight then you're in for a big surprise when you mount run flats.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:24 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

I bought two C6 Grand Sports -- I put Bridgestone Run Flats on one of them and Michelin Non Run Flats on the other. So I use the Bridgestone C6 for trips and the Michelin C6 in town -- problem fixed. Both carry a small Compressor in trunk well,,,
Old 05-16-2018, 02:45 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

If a 16oz can of fix a flat and an AAA card is too much weight then you're in for a big surprise when you mount run flats.
So does a 16oz can of fix-flat weigh 16 oz's....

Last edited by windyC6; 05-16-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:51 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Sorry noob people have more than that but nice try.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:07 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Sorry noob people have more than that but nice try.
Hardly a noob, I can guarantee I've built more cars than you. A runflat does not mean you don't need to carry that other stuff either, you won't be driving hundreds of miles on a run flat. You really have nothing else in your car for convenience? I probably have more weight in microfiber towels, quick detailer, and a gym bag than the weight of a can of fix a flat. That one little can has saved me probably a half dozen times.

Why stop there? Drive bare foot, wear only boxers, get below 7% body fat, take out the passenger seat and run 15" wheels and tires, that's all un needed weight too.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:12 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Hardly a noob, I can guarantee I've built more cars than you. A runflat does not mean you don't need to carry that other stuff either, you won't be driving hundreds of miles on a run flat. You really have nothing else in your car for convenience? I probably have more weight in microfiber towels, quick detailer, and a gym bag than the weight of a can of fix a flat. That one little can has saved me probably a half dozen times.

Why stop there? Drive bare foot, wear only boxers, get below 7% body fat, take out the passenger seat and run 15" wheels and tires, that's all un needed weight too.
Now you're talking You need to get a clue I was being facetious to Corvette Ed because he is bragging about A base being 1/1000th sec faster than a GS.

Last edited by GARYFINN; 05-16-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:17 PM
89Roadster
Race Director

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Run-flats cost more, don't last as long and don't ride/handle as well.....

http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...sfaction-study
Old 05-16-2018, 03:18 PM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

Runflats are also heavier than non-runflats. It's unsprung weight too.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:31 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dmk0210
Runflats are also heavier than non-runflats. It's unsprung weight too.
Read all the posts NOOB.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:53 PM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

No thanks to runflats. If its a slow leak I'll fill it up with my mini 12v compressor and drive it home. If its a large leak, Id plug it and drive it home.

Only time you can't "fill" a leaky tire and have it hold air briefly is if it blows out on you. A runflat won't fix that at all.

I dont think its worth the performance loss, weight, and price. I'm relatively conscious of my vehicle and any road noise due to nails in the tires I will pick up quickly. I've patched multiple car tires with zero issues.

While RF tech has improved significantly (From the crap that was on my car originally!) its still far less forgiving in terms of ride comfort and performance.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:48 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

I changed to non-run flats because the worn OEM Goodyear Runflats on my GS handled like CRAP !!! A FWD Scion could corner harder than I could on my OEM Goodyears when they were down to 4/32 - 3/32 tread. Sorry - but no tire that's still got tread should handle that badly !!! The OEM run-flats had to be replaced in less than 14,000 miles - that's not exactly what I'd call great life. Went to new Ultra High Performance (summer only) Continentals - they were a tough more than Half the price of run flats, and they are lighter. The car now handles again !!!

As I said earlier - some tire problems are simply NOT fixable - irregardless if you have run-flats or conventional tires. There is no question the run flats will get you where you're going in SOME cases where conventional tires will not - but don't believe for a second that run flats will always get you 50 miles or so after something bad happens...

Get notified of new replies

To Those Who Have NON RunFlats ???

Old 05-16-2018, 07:22 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Purple92
I changed to non-run flats because the worn OEM Goodyear Runflats on my GS handled like CRAP !!! A FWD Scion could corner harder than I could on my OEM Goodyears when they were down to 4/32 - 3/32 tread. Sorry - but no tire that's still got tread should handle that badly !!! The OEM run-flats had to be replaced in less than 14,000 miles - that's not exactly what I'd call great life. Went to new Ultra High Performance (summer only) Continentals - they were a tough more than Half the price of run flats, and they are lighter. The car now handles again !!!

As I said earlier - some tire problems are simply NOT fixable - irregardless if you have run-flats or conventional tires. There is no question the run flats will get you where you're going in SOME cases where conventional tires will not - but don't believe for a second that run flats will always get you 50 miles or so after something bad happens...
Run Flats and Non Run Flats are a bit like using the word "Irregardless" and "Regardless".. some use one and some use the other ...

Irregardless is a word sometimes used in place of regardless or irrespective which has caused controversy since the early twentieth century, though the word appeared in print as early as 1795.[1] Most dictionaries list it as nonstandard or incorrect usage, and recommend that "regardless" be used instead

Old 05-16-2018, 08:04 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

No on on the slime or fix a flat in the bottle.

You do this, and not only will it take out the TPMS in the wheel, but the guy that has to pull the tire to patch the tire correctly from the inside, is going to be pissed. Note only this, but slime will eat away at aluminum rims.

Hence all this has to be removed from the tire and rim (scrapped away in some cases) so the tire can be patched, the re-balanced, and when it dries in the TPMS air passage of the sensor, kill the sensor as well.

Attachment 48352617

So compressor and patch cord kit, but still carry a AAA card for the cases where you can't safely patch the tire on the side of the road, and need to be flat bedded to the tire repair shop to deal with the flat tire isntead.

Last edited by Dano523; 05-16-2018 at 08:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
marinablu67 (05-17-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 08:44 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

I'll make sure to strand myself or risk damage on a tow truck so the dude I pay to fix my flat doesn't have sticky stuff to deal with. Or just fill it and replace the $30 sensor, just me though, not all of them are corrosive.

Quick Reply: Those Who Have NON RunFlats ???