C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those Who Have NON RunFlats ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 08:49 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Purple92
I changed to non-run flats because the worn OEM Goodyear Runflats on my GS handled like CRAP !!! A FWD Scion could corner harder than I could on my OEM Goodyears when they were down to 4/32 - 3/32 tread. Sorry - but no tire that's still got tread should handle that badly !!! The OEM run-flats had to be replaced in less than 14,000 miles - that's not exactly what I'd call great life. Went to new Ultra High Performance (summer only) Continentals - they were a tough more than Half the price of run flats, and they are lighter. The car now handles again !!!

As I said earlier - some tire problems are simply NOT fixable - irregardless if you have run-flats or conventional tires. There is no question the run flats will get you where you're going in SOME cases where conventional tires will not - but don't believe for a second that run flats will always get you 50 miles or so after something bad happens...
My experience tells otherwise.

I have driven over 50 miles on an inner sidewall blowout. It was on a Sunday, in the rain on a two lane road with no shoulder with a drop-off into the mud, in a cell phone dead spot. I don't have pics of that one, but...

I do have pics of a sidewall blowout with a two-inch chunk of the bead missing. This was driven over 30 miles, and probably could have been driven quite a bit farther:

They are significantly more sturdy than non-runflats, and are certainly capable of what the manufacturer claims.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:14 PM
Mr. Bear
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I personally know of an owner with a 3 series BMW who had a catastrophic tire failure on a run-flat in the midwest & had trouble locating a runflat in his size. Have also read a bunch of anecdotes where the proper size runflats couldn't be readily located.

Many drivers dislike the harsh ride generated by runflats & have been returning to non-runflats for better handling & longer treadwear.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:43 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mr. Bear
I personally know of an owner with a 3 series BMW who had a catastrophic tire failure on a run-flat in the midwest & had trouble locating a runflat in his size. Have also read a bunch of anecdotes where the proper size runflats couldn't be readily located.

Many drivers dislike the harsh ride generated by runflats & have been returning to non-runflats for better handling & longer treadwear.
I would like to put something out there since the "no RF tires are to be found" mantra has come up.

VERY FEW CARS have tires our size(s). Most of which are Corvettes. The vast majority of Corvette drivers use RFs because that is what the car came equipped with (most Corvette drivers don't frequent this forum), so why would they not use the OEM tires? The OEM GY tires are old tech and are crap tires, and good RFs with little or no performance degradation are readily available, now.

Sooo... reasoning stands that:

a: Very few stores will have our tires in stock, anyway.

b: Even fewer will stock non RFs in our size, because the majority use RFs, so that reasoning is faulty from the get-go.

c: Even if you are running RFs, and need to have a replacement, it doesn't have to be RFs. Replace at that point with whatever is available.

d: If you go on a road trip, be prepared to spend a day or a few for whatever reason. Tires aren't the only reason to possibly get stranded. If you aren't able or willing to do that, don't drive.
The following users liked this post:
marinablu67 (05-16-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 09:05 AM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
Read all the posts NOOB.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:41 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Now you're talking You need to get a clue I was being facetious to Corvette Ed because he is bragging about A base being 1/1000th sec faster than a GS.
Well at least you're finally admitting it "NOOB". Doesn't matter if the horse wins by 10 lengths or by a snout....it still wins..........
Old 05-17-2018, 10:41 AM
gmtech1234
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I’m replacing my Michelin runflats with another set of the same. I like the fact they can be driven on flat. The ride is great for my street driving.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:51 AM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Fixing a flat

What do you have to FIX a tire if you have a flat ???????????
I have a tire plug kit and an inexpensive air compressor that I carry in one of the rear storage wells.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:53 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Well at least you're finally admitting it "NOOB". Doesn't matter if the horse wins by 10 lengths or by a snout....it still wins..........
??????? only in your mind sorry noob try again

I didn't say he was correct I was just stating what the child said.Learn to read.

Last edited by GARYFINN; 05-17-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:56 AM
CJKC6
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I am on Hankook V12 non run flats -- were on the car when I bought at 53K and still on 10K later. They are 8 yrs old and I'm having blowout concerns. Moving to the Michelin Sport AS3 all season run flats - anyone have these and are you happy with them?
Old 05-17-2018, 02:58 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

??????? only in your mind sorry noob try again

I didn't say he was correct I was just stating what the child said.Learn to read.
NOPE...No cigar there Mr. NOOBY. Your post has all the earmarks of admitting that the base is faster. You didn't say..."He thinks a base is 1/1000 sec faster".....you stated "A base being 1/1000 sec faster". It's OK....don't be afraid to admit it again....even if it's only faster by 1/1000 of a second.....
Old 05-17-2018, 02:59 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
NOPE...No cigar there Mr. NOOBY. Your post has all the earmarks of admitting that the base is faster. You didn't say..."He thinks a base is 1/1000 sec faster".....you stated "A base being 1/1000 sec faster". It's OK....don't be afraid to admit it again....even if it's only faster by 1/1000 of a second.....
Go back to driving your Buick noob the adults are talking here.How can your base buick be faster with those little tires.

Last edited by GARYFINN; 05-17-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:16 PM
gmtech1234
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CJKC6
I am on Hankook V12 non run flats -- were on the car when I bought at 53K and still on 10K later. They are 8 yrs old and I'm having blowout concerns. Moving to the Michelin Sport AS3 all season run flats - anyone have these and are you happy with them?
Got 4 of them today, like them. I also had Discount tire replace the press. Sensors.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:22 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Go back to driving your Buick noob the adults are talking here.How can your base buick be faster with those little tires.
Well DUH !!!! Thats part of the reason they are faster.....the tires and wheels save about XXX amount of #'s.....
Old 05-17-2018, 05:37 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Plug kit, needle nose pliers and an air pump. I have actually plugged a tire on a car more than once.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:17 PM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Default sidewall failure

Originally Posted by owc6
My experience tells otherwise.

I have driven over 50 miles on an inner sidewall blowout. It was on a Sunday, in the rain on a two lane road with no shoulder with a drop-off into the mud, in a cell phone dead spot. I don't have pics of that one, but...

I do have pics of a sidewall blowout with a two-inch chunk of the bead missing. This was driven over 30 miles, and probably could have been driven quite a bit farther:

They are significantly more sturdy than non-runflats, and are certainly capable of what the manufacturer claims.

Never seen a sidewall blow out like that. Now I have and it was on a runflat.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:45 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 289 Likes on 270 Posts

I would like to put something out there since the "no RF tires are to be found" mantra has come up.

VERY FEW CARS have tires our size(s). Most of which are Corvettes. The vast majority of Corvette drivers use RFs because that is what the car came equipped with (most Corvette drivers don't frequent this forum), so why would they not use the OEM tires? The OEM GY tires are old tech and are crap tires, and good RFs with little or no performance degradation are readily available, now.

b: Even fewer will stock non RFs in our size, because the majority use RFs, so that reasoning is faulty from the get-go.

c: Even if you are running RFs, and need to have a replacement, it doesn't have to be RFs. Replace at that point with whatever is available.

d: If you go on a road trip, be prepared to spend a day or a few for whatever reason. Tires aren't the only reason to possibly get stranded. If you aren't able or willing to do that, don't drive.
1-Goodyears are not old tech Model T fords came with GYs..I had about 28000 miles on the F1 GYs on my 08/Z51 and they still had good tread on them.I would of put another set on until i checked the price for them,so I got Firestones RFs and they are a good tire also.A top tier tire shop will not replace "one" Non Runflat on a vehicle has three other Run flats unless they break their policy....Just saying...
Old 05-18-2018, 08:16 AM
Batman75
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

[QUOTE=Cherokee Nation;1597222394]1-Goodyears are not old tech Model T fords came with GYs..I had about 28000 miles on the F1 GYs on my 08/Z51 and they still had good tread on them.I would of put another set on until i checked the price for them,so I got Firestones RFs and they are a good tire also.

I agree. I have 4 new Goodyear run flats because I had to replace the rears when the fronts still had lots of tread. When the fronts needed to be replaced I also bought Goodyear run flats. I didn't want to mix brands either time.

There is no way this old man will install non run flats and risk having to crawl around on the side of the road in the dark trying to find and plug a leak.
I would guess the lemmings on the forum who claim it would be easy have never had to try it.

We have Michelins on my wife's Mercedes and I don't believe the Corvette would ride any better with Michelins than it does with Goodyear's.

Last edited by Batman75; 05-18-2018 at 08:17 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Those Who Have NON RunFlats ???

Old 05-18-2018, 09:17 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
1-Goodyears are not old tech Model T fords came with GYs..I had about 28000 miles on the F1 GYs on my 08/Z51 and they still had good tread on them.I would of put another set on until i checked the price for them,so I got Firestones RFs and they are a good tire also.A top tier tire shop will not replace "one" Non Runflat on a vehicle has three other Run flats unless they break their policy....Just saying...
Yes, I could have been a little more specific with replace with a pair," just as one would when replacing with any non-identical tire; RF or not, Summer or A/S. Even replacing a complete pair with an identical tire when significant tread is worn instead of just one.

That said, a little common sense goes a long way, and often when on the road, temporary repairs (of many sorts, not just tires) may have to be made to get you to where you need to go/or where permanent repairs can be done.

As for policies, they differ from brand to brand, and even more so from shop to shop. Some places are more willing and flexible in order to get a stranded motorist back on the road than others.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:19 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

I have to admit - that is pretty impressive that you were able to get that car 50 miles with no rim damage. Not sure that I would have even tried it... I'm not going to completely admit defeat - as I still believe that there are some tire damage scenarios that are even worse than what you show - but my opinion of what run-flats can do just improved....

And yes - friends who have run-flats on much more mainstream vehicles have reported that it can take days to get a set of replacement run-flat rubber.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:46 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 289 Likes on 270 Posts

[QUOTE=Batman75;1597223139]
Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
1-Goodyears are not old tech Model T fords came with GYs..I had about 28000 miles on the F1 GYs on my 08/Z51 and they still had good tread on them.I would of put another set on until i checked the price for them,so I got Firestones RFs and they are a good tire also.

I agree. I have 4 new Goodyear run flats because I had to replace the rears when the fronts still had lots of tread. When the fronts needed to be replaced I also bought Goodyear run flats. I didn't want to mix brands either time.

There is no way this old man will install non run flats and risk having to crawl around on the side of the road in the dark trying to find and plug a leak.
I would guess the lemmings on the forum who claim it would be easy have never had to try it.

We have Michelins on my wife's Mercedes and I don't believe the Corvette would ride any better with Michelins than it does with Goodyear's.
I liked the Goodyears.I've done a couple of high speed runs close to 180 mph on the GYs with no worry.I had never even heard of Michelins until i got a vette and joined this forum...This old man (74) is like you..No Plugging in the middle of nowhere!!

Quick Reply: Those Who Have NON RunFlats ???