C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 no start after replacing crankshaft position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 09:22 PM
vettelover8306
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default C6 no start after replacing crankshaft position sensor

Hi there fellas tittle says everything...now car doesn't after replacing crankshaft position sensor what can be wrong ?
Another question and I know this has happened to many Vette owners... P0300 can be ...bad coil...spark plugs or wires ... Lose connection?

Last edited by vettelover8306; 10-19-2021 at 12:46 AM.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:15 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,672 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Probably need to do a crank relearn.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:16 PM
vettelover8306
Racer

Originally Posted by BadAV
Hey thanks a lot for responding ... Sorry my ignorance but I didn't know I have to relearn the crankshaft position sensor... Is it possible to do it with a regular obd 2 scanner ? Or has to be done with a gm tech 2 ?
Old 10-15-2021, 10:21 PM
vettelover8306
Racer

Originally Posted by BadAV
Hey thanks a lot for responding ... Sorry my ignorance but I didn't know I have to relearn the crankshaft position sensor... Is it possible to do it with a regular obd 2 scanner ? Or has to be done with a gm tech 2 ?
Old 10-15-2021, 11:46 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by vettelover8306
Hi there fellas tittle says everything...now car doesn't after replacing crankshaft position sensor what can be wrong ?
You sure you bought the right one? They are interchangeable for 2006-2013 but the one for a 2005 will only work on a 2005.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:52 PM
vettelover8306
Racer

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
You sure you bought the right one? They are interchangeable for 2006-2013 but the one for a 2005 will only work on a 2005.
Yes I have the right one
Old 10-16-2021, 09:48 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn
1. Install a scan tool.
2. Monitor the engine control module (ECM) for DTCs with a scan tool. If other DTCs are set, except DTC P0315, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle for the applicable DTC that set.
3. Select the crankshaft position (CKP) variation learn procedure with a scan tool.
4. The scan tool instructs you to perform the following:
4.1. Accelerate to wide open throttle (WOT).

4.2. Release throttle when fuel cut-off occurs.

4.3. Observe fuel cut-off for applicable engine.

4.4. Engine should not accelerate beyond calibrated RPM value.

4.5. Release throttle immediately if value is exceeded.

4.6. Block drive wheels.

4.7. Set parking brake.

4.8. DO NOT apply brake pedal.

4.9. Cycle ignition from OFF to ON.

4.10. Apply and hold brake pedal.

4.11. Start and idle engine.

4.12. Turn A/C OFF.

4.13. Vehicle must remain in Park or Neutral.

4.14. The scan tool monitors certain component signals to determine if all the conditions are met to continue with the procedure. The scan tool only displays the condition that inhibits the procedure. The scan tool monitors the following components:

• CKP sensors activity--If there is a CKP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.

• Camshaft position (CMP) sensor activity--If there is a CMP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.

• Engine coolant temperature (ECT)--If the ECT is not warm enough, idle the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches the correct temperature.

5. Enable the CKP system variation learn procedure with a scan tool.
Important: While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator and the engine responds to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.

6. Accelerate to WOT.
7. Release when the fuel cut-off occurs.
8. Test in progress
9. The scan tool displays Learn Status: Learned this ignition. If the scan tool indicates that DTC P0315 ran and passed, the CKP variation learn procedure is complete. If the scan tool indicates DTC P0315 failed or did not run, refer to DTC P0315 . If any other DTCs set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle for the applicable DTC that set.
10. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the learn procedure is completed successfully.
11. The CKP system variation learn procedure is also required when the following service procedures have been performed, regardless of whether DTC P0315 is set:
• A CKP sensor replacement

• An engine replacement

• A ECM replacement

• A harmonic balancer replacement

• A crankshaft replacement

• Any engine repairs which disturb the CKP sensor relationship
Old 10-16-2021, 11:44 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Kind of hard to accelerate to WOT or do any of the learn procedure if the car won't start, or am I missing something here?
Old 10-16-2021, 01:13 PM
vettelover8306
Racer

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn
1. Install a scan tool.
2. Monitor the engine control module (ECM) for DTCs with a scan tool. If other DTCs are set, except DTC P0315, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle for the applicable DTC that set.
3. Select the crankshaft position (CKP) variation learn procedure with a scan tool.
4. The scan tool instructs you to perform the following:
4.1. Accelerate to wide open throttle (WOT).

4.2. Release throttle when fuel cut-off occurs.

4.3. Observe fuel cut-off for applicable engine.

4.4. Engine should not accelerate beyond calibrated RPM value.

4.5. Release throttle immediately if value is exceeded.

4.6. Block drive wheels.

4.7. Set parking brake.

4.8. DO NOT apply brake pedal.

4.9. Cycle ignition from OFF to ON.

4.10. Apply and hold brake pedal.

4.11. Start and idle engine.

4.12. Turn A/C OFF.

4.13. Vehicle must remain in Park or Neutral.

4.14. The scan tool monitors certain component signals to determine if all the conditions are met to continue with the procedure. The scan tool only displays the condition that inhibits the procedure. The scan tool monitors the following components:

• CKP sensors activity--If there is a CKP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.

• Camshaft position (CMP) sensor activity--If there is a CMP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.

• Engine coolant temperature (ECT)--If the ECT is not warm enough, idle the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches the correct temperature.

5. Enable the CKP system variation learn procedure with a scan tool.
Important: While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator and the engine responds to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.

6. Accelerate to WOT.
7. Release when the fuel cut-off occurs.
8. Test in progress
9. The scan tool displays Learn Status: Learned this ignition. If the scan tool indicates that DTC P0315 ran and passed, the CKP variation learn procedure is complete. If the scan tool indicates DTC P0315 failed or did not run, refer to DTC P0315 . If any other DTCs set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle for the applicable DTC that set.
10. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the learn procedure is completed successfully.
11. The CKP system variation learn procedure is also required when the following service procedures have been performed, regardless of whether DTC P0315 is set:
• A CKP sensor replacement

• An engine replacement

• A ECM replacement

• A harmonic balancer replacement

• A crankshaft replacement

• Any engine repairs which disturb the CKP sensor relationship
How can I accelerate if car doesn't start? Lol
Old 10-16-2021, 03:26 PM
vettelover8306
Racer

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
Kind of hard to accelerate to WOT or do any of the learn procedure if the car won't start, or am I missing something here?
Exactly my thoughts lol car cranks but won't start ...
Old 10-16-2021, 03:27 PM
vettelover8306
Racer

I just called an auto parts near home to try another one ...maybe I bought the wrong one it was online purchase
Old 10-16-2021, 08:08 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

I just called an auto parts near home to try another one ...maybe I bought the wrong one it was online purchase
What color is it? The one for a 2005 is typically black and the later years are grey.

What prompted you to replace it in the first place? They rarely ever fail so if you had a slow starting situation which ended up throwing a crank sensor CEL it's usually the manifestation of a different problem altogether, not from a bad sensor.

This kind of thing happens frequently from a broken post on the starter solenoid or a very weak battery. What'll happen is that the motor turns over very slowly and when the PCM detects this it will trigger the CEL. In more extreme cases (but hopefully not in yours) if an engine turns over slowly when it's hot that could be a sign the motor is about to spin a bearing and eventually seize up.

Good luck with it either way.

Last edited by subfloor@centurytrans; 10-16-2021 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:36 PM
vettelover8306
Racer

What color is it? The one for a 2005 is typically black and the later years are grey.

What prompted you to replace it in the first place? They rarely ever fail so if you had a slow starting situation which ended up throwing a crank sensor CEL it's usually the manifestation of a different problem altogether, not from a bad sensor.

This kind of thing happens frequently from a broken post on the starter solenoid or a very weak battery. What'll happen is that the motor turns over very slowly and when the PCM detects this it will trigger the CEL. In more extreme cases (but hopefully not in yours) if an engine turns over slowly when it's hot that could be a sign the motor is about to spin a bearing and eventually seize up.

Good luck with it either way.
it is black with the rubber ring in brown ...
Old 10-16-2021, 08:39 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

it is black with the rubber ring in brown ...
Year of the car?
Old 10-16-2021, 08:45 PM
vettelover8306
Racer

year of the car?
Old 10-16-2021, 09:06 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

And what happened to make you change it?
Old 10-16-2021, 09:09 PM
vettelover8306
Racer

And what happened to make you change it?
Reduced engine power while driving and sometimes when get a bump ... service traction control (least common than reduce engine power message ) p0336 code ... Rough starts ... sometimes steering wheel hard to operate
Battery is brand new even with a tough jumper impossible to start the car ...it cranks but won't start and I smell gas everytime I try to start it

Last edited by vettelover8306; 10-16-2021 at 09:10 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 no start after replacing crankshaft position sensor

Old 10-19-2021, 12:34 AM
vettelover8306
Racer

Hey I have to hands down to you...it was a wrong crankshaft sensor i just installed the right one today ...car starts perfect but got now a p0300 code which is misfire ... question is ...can be a bad coil ? Bad spark plugs? Wires? Or even crankshaft sensor need a relearn ? Cause sometimes car starts and idles roughly but when I press gas and start to move it runs smooth ... Also can be a lose spark cable or poorly connected to the coil ?
Old 10-19-2021, 12:00 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Hey I have to hands down to you...it was a wrong crankshaft sensor i just installed the right one today ...car starts perfect but got now a p0300 code which is misfire ... question is ...can be a bad coil ? Bad spark plugs? Wires? Or even crankshaft sensor need a relearn ? Cause sometimes car starts and idles roughly but when I press gas and start to move it runs smooth ... Also can be a lose spark cable or poorly connected to the coil ?
Glad I could help.

I've swapped engines more times than I care to remember so I don't think a crank relearn is necessary.

It definitely wouldn't hurt to examine all the plugs and make sure the wires are on securely, both on the plugs and coils.

If you're able to isolate the misfire to one side or the other then I'd suggest swapping the entire bank of coils to see if the problem moves. If it does then you might have a bad coil, if not then it could be something else that's going on.

Additionally, check the pins on the coil harness connector. I once had a misfire I couldn't track down which ended up being from one of the small pins in the connector. It had gotten pushed pushed down just enough to cause an intermittent problem.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:12 PM
vettelover8306
Racer

Glad I could help.

I've swapped engines more times than I care to remember so I don't think a crank relearn is necessary.

It definitely wouldn't hurt to examine all the plugs and make sure the wires are on securely, both on the plugs and coils.

If you're able to isolate the misfire to one side or the other then I'd suggest swapping the entire bank of coils to see if the problem moves. If it does then you might have a bad coil, if not then it could be something else that's going on.

Additionally, check the pins on the coil harness connector. I once had a misfire I couldn't track down which ended up being from one of the small pins in the connector. It had gotten pushed pushed down just enough to cause an intermittent problem.
Thanks a lot brother I really appreciate all your help I will check it out and do it as you say thanks one more time have a great day

Quick Reply: C6 no start after replacing crankshaft position sensor