C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can these be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 07:04 PM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Can these be fixed?

Took the car out for a drive today and went through a mini dust storm. When I got back to the house I was looking for rock chips on the front of the car with my flashlight and noticed there is spider webbing on the front bumper that I never noticed before. I imagine it has been there since I bought the car but I've never taken a flash light to the car so I probably didn't see it until now.

You can see from the picture with the flashlight on the spider webbing shows, but with no flash or anything you can hardly, if at all, see any spider webbing.

What causes this? Is there any way to fix this? Will it worsen if left untreated?

Old 05-15-2018, 07:20 PM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

That looks to me like the front bumper had some sort of impact at one point. If it's the actual clear cracking then I don't see how it can easily be fixed.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:05 PM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Could be...the car had 24,500 miles when I bought it. No accident damage reported, though it doesn't mean it wasn't hit by a flying piece of something on the highway one day. What else could cause this? For example, if you dropped a tool onto the nose could that potentially cause this too? It's got the spider webbing right on the point of the nose and then on the front right edge and front left edge of the bumper too. You can't really see them unless you're shining a light on them. If they won't get worse over time then I'm okay leaving them. But if they can't be fixed and they will get worse I guess I'll be buying a replacement bumper down the road
Old 05-15-2018, 09:12 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by DanMan35
Could be...the car had 24,500 miles when I bought it. No accident damage reported, though it doesn't mean it wasn't hit by a flying piece of something on the highway one day. What else could cause this? For example, if you dropped a tool onto the nose could that potentially cause this too? It's got the spider webbing right on the point of the nose and then on the front right edge and front left edge of the bumper too. You can't really see them unless you're shining a light on them. If they won't get worse over time then I'm okay leaving them. But if they can't be fixed and they will get worse I guess I'll be buying a replacement bumper down the road
That's in the clear coat, and possibly in the paint. It will require a re-paint to fix.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:23 PM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by DanMan35
Wouldn't take a huge impact to cause that kind of damage. Someone backing into it, even lightly, while parallel parking for example can cause that damage. I don't see how a tool would cause that kind of damage. It's from compressing the bumper such as caused by hitting another car. Since it's on the bumper I doubt it will get worse. At this point I wouldn't bother with a repaint unless you have a lot of other chips caused by small rocks or other road debris.

Last edited by MYCoupe; 05-15-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:24 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

It bumped something for sure, My buddy has it only on the rear facia, very hard to see it
NSF
Old 05-16-2018, 12:43 AM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

shouldn't be too expensive to have it re-clear coated.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:04 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

I agree. Had to be a slight bump. Could have been tapped in a parking lot. Maybe a tall 4x4 hit it, square on. The bumper will deflect quite a bit and return to original shape, but the paint, even though flexible, will only go so far undamaged.

Spider webbing like that is usually the entire thickness of the clear. Hopefully not the base coat, but you won't know until all the webbing is wet sanded out. If just the clear coat and the base is OK, it might not be that big a job.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:12 PM
Aggie76
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I had similar spider-webbing after a whitetail doe impact my bumper a few years ago. Hard to see but I saw it every single time and couldn't leave it that way. Had an expert body shop/paint guy take care of it and so glad I did.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:29 PM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Looks like stress fractures from some sort of impact.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:05 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,349 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LowRyter
shouldn't be too expensive to have it re-clear coated.
I agree...sand and clear coat. Done.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:16 PM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

You will likely be making a claim, my guess is $4500 for that repair.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:48 PM
GREENKAR
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by tfi racing
You will likely be making a claim, my guess is $4500 for that repair.
It would probably less back in 2018, when this thread was posted.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:14 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Looks like the car tapped another car just a bit too hard.

Get notified of new replies

To Can these be fixed?

Quick Reply: Can these be fixed?