C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wireless cams to aftermarket Nav unit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 02:22 AM
Canuckster
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default wireless cams to aftermarket Nav unit?

I want to install wireless cameras, front and back, to a Pioneer or Kenwood head unit w/nav that has 2 camera inputs.
I asked Crutchfield and they said: "There are no wireless cameras out there yet that will hook up with a receiver, only to your phone or a separate display"
Can this be right?
I was also hoping to use the smallest wired cameras and convert them to wireless with the inexpensive converters I see online.
Thanks to you experts out there. Michael
Old 05-16-2018, 09:47 AM
2kredsilverado
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a pioneer head unit on my car and I installed a backup camera along with one of those wireless transmitters from amazon that are like 8 bucks. It works fine and I didn't have to worry about running wires all thru the car.

They are correct in that there are no wireless cameras that will hook up to a receiver as far as I know but you CAN use a wireless video transmitter and make any camera wireless.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:33 AM
Canuckster
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2kredsilverado
I have a pioneer head unit on my car and I installed a backup camera along with one of those wireless transmitters from amazon that are like 8 bucks. It works fine and I didn't have to worry about running wires all thru the car.

They are correct in that there are no wireless cameras that will hook up to a receiver as far as I know but you CAN use a wireless video transmitter and make any camera wireless.
So just to be clear: I can use the wireless transmitters to connect a wired camera to the back up camera input on the Pioneer HU?

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2018, 12:25 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Canuckster
So just to be clear: I can use the wireless transmitters to connect a wired camera to the back up camera input on the Pioneer HU?

Thanks!

This is what you need:
Amazon Amazon

You need the wireless transmitter to connect and power the camera, and the wireless receiver that will plug into your HU.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:32 PM
3rdlight
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kredsilverado

Great idea, thank you for this. I am about to do the same on mine but I am hoping to have wireless front and back cameras. Does your wireless unit have an A-B switch so they do not cross talk, or would two of these be on the same frequency? Which one did you buy? Thanks
Old 08-01-2018, 03:08 PM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

ANYBODY reading this, that has installed a front camera on/behind a C6 Grill along with the Wireless Transmitter.....

Can you SHOW PICS or Write about the install and ho to access this and that ???

I have a 2012 C6/GS with a Kenwood deck.unit currently with Rear Camera and told I can add front.

Thanks

Last edited by CamarosRus; 08-01-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:35 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 122 Posts

Any particular reason for the wireless cam? If it's for ease of installation I'm not really sure it's worth it. It was pretty easy to run wires in the Vette and you'll need to run power anyway. I know this didn't answer your question, but just trying to offer some encouragement.

Last edited by CrystalRedTed; 08-01-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:46 AM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Crystal Red, I have KENWOOD "unit" (do you need model # with a BOYO rear camera....\

Dealer Car Toyz (seattle area) confirmed I could install front camera. As I'm somewhat capable
and otherwise frugal, I'd like to mount front cam and run wires myself.

How/where can I learn to do this using what choices of camera mounted on or around front grill........
What do I need to remove and how/where to route wire into pass compartement, etc etc

Thanks, Chuck
Old 08-02-2018, 10:18 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by CamarosRus
Crystal Red, I have KENWOOD "unit" (do you need model # with a BOYO rear camera....\

Dealer Car Toyz (seattle area) confirmed I could install front camera. As I'm somewhat capable
and otherwise frugal, I'd like to mount front cam and run wires myself.

How/where can I learn to do this using what choices of camera mounted on or around front grill........
What do I need to remove and how/where to route wire into pass compartement, etc etc

Thanks, Chuck
I went with the Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX package and then added a second Pioneer ND-BC8 camera. The camera just uses a standard composite video connector so other camera choices can easily be used. I'd imagine that Kenwood also uses standard composite video.

To run the wire to/from the rear camera I removed the right inner taillight (I think it was one screw). I just drilled a small hole through the body of the car behind that being careful to pick a spot that was clear on both sides. This is composite (not metal) and drills easy. The camera is mounted above the license plate and the wire runs over to that hole and into the interior. I sealed the hole with some silicone after that. Once inside the car it is very easy to run the wire under the carpet and behind trim pieces to the front of the car by the fuse box.

My front camera is mounted to the right (passenger side) of the front license plate under the bumper. The wire runs through the grill and up through an opening into the engine compartment. From there I ran it along the body on the passenger side and past the battery. I made sure to secure it with zip ties and those 3M wire mounts to keep it out of harms way. Once past the battery I ran the wire under the plastic cowling trim and into the car under the door deal and then down into the passenger footwell. There's a 6" long trim piece between the dash and the door that you need to remove. It is spring clipped. Some people like to run the wire through the firewall instead, but this seemed to work well enough. Both cameras pick up power from the passenger footwell fuse box using an "add-a-fuse". The camera outputs just run up behind the head unit.

It is one cable to run that carries both power and camera signal so I didn't really think going with wired cameras was all that bad.

Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited by CrystalRedTed; 08-02-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To wireless cams to aftermarket Nav unit?

Quick Reply: wireless cams to aftermarket Nav unit?