C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P2068 vs p2066

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 11:00 AM
UROB1
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P2068 vs p2066

Hi all, I have a 2007 corvette C6 that was receiving a P2068 code. I've watch many videos regarding replacing the sending unit in the passenger tank from YouTube. After building up the confidence I decided to do the work myself after the $1700.00 quote I received from the dealership. The question I have is I replaced the passenger sending unit, but now after driving the car I now receive a P2066 code. Has anyone heard of this? Do I need to go back and replace the driver side sending unit as well? I ask this because the original code that I received was P2068. For those who are thinking about this work on their can I can lend some advice as I think I'm going back under my car for seconds.
Thanks
RH

Last edited by UROB1; 05-16-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:24 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

[QUOTE=UROB1;1597210246]The question I have is I replaced the passenger sending unit, but now after driving the car I now receive a P2066 code. Has anyone heard of this?

Yes.
It's happened/been reported over the years.
No disrespect but it' a rooky mistake made once, if unlucky.

Old timers learned long ago w/ C6 when doing one do the other.
Heck rear end's already out, how many times does one want to go through that baloney?
Some members --FWIW-- actually do clutch at same time.
Big labor $ just dropping rear, forget parts.

Do I need to go back and replace the driver side sending unit as well?
Yes.
Don't shoot the messenger.
I pray it's something stupid like pinched wire/loose connector.
Unfortunately whatever it is has to be visible/traceable to be rectified.
And for some weird reason #1 fails after #2's replaced, or vice-versa.

I get the clutch thing, rear tranny has to come out.
But GM's design 'team' responsible for C6 sender placement need to be horsewhipped. Barred from auto design studios, forevermore.
The following users liked this post:
UROB1 (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 03:44 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

i got the 2066 code
bought a code reader, couldnt decide what to do first so i just went to the dealer and bought a new cap..fixed the problem and hasnt thrown a code since (2months)

but tech at dealer told me if the gauge is dead, you reset the engine light and the gauge immediatly drops to E again, then you need to get in the tanks due to the contacts being corroded for the sending unit

there is a guy on youtube doing c6 fuel pumps without dropping the tanks, but he must have UBER patience to accomplish
UROB1 (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 04:04 PM
UROB1
Cruising

[QUOTE=Landru;1597212064]
Originally Posted by UROB1
The question I have is I replaced the passenger sending unit, but now after driving the car I now receive a P2066 code. Has anyone heard of this?

Yes.
It's happened/been reported over the years.
No disrespect but it' a rooky mistake made once, if unlucky.

Old timers learned long ago w/ C6 when doing one do the other.
Heck rear end's already out, how many times does one want to go through that baloney?
Some members --FWIW-- actually do clutch at same time.
Big labor $ just dropping rear, forget parts.

Yes.
Don't shoot the messenger.
I pray it's something stupid like pinched wire/loose connector.
Unfortunately whatever it is has to be visible/traceable to be rectified.
And for some weird reason #1 fails after #2's replaced, or vice-versa.

I get the clutch thing, rear tranny has to come out.
But GM's design 'team' responsible for C6 sender placement need to be horsewhipped. Barred from auto design studios, forevermore.
I was able to replace the passenger sending unit with out dropping the rear end from the car. I will look into working on the driver side as soon as my part comes in. Thanks
Landru (05-17-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 04:12 PM
UROB1
Cruising

Originally Posted by ~STOLEN~
i got the 2066 code
bought a code reader, couldnt decide what to do first so i just went to the dealer and bought a new cap..fixed the problem and hasnt thrown a code since (2months)

but tech at dealer told me if the gauge is dead, you reset the engine light and the gauge immediatly drops to E again, then you need to get in the tanks due to the contacts being corroded for the sending unit

there is a guy on youtube doing c6 fuel pumps without dropping the tanks, but he must have UBER patience to accomplish
If i'm not mistaken your saying I might need a new cap to the tank? I did have to knock on quite a bit to get it loosened . What about the driver side sending unit? what are your thoughts about that? so far just the passenger side was replaced
Old 05-16-2018, 05:08 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,110 Likes on 691 Posts

Don't think P2066 has anything to do with fuel cap. I believe caps are relative to evaporative/emission problems.

P2068 is for a bad passenger tank sender.

P2066 is this:
Conditions for Setting the DTC P2066
• The secondary fuel tank is equal to or greater than 3.3 L (.87 gal) and the ECM does not detect a change in the secondary fuel level of at least 3 L (0.79 gal) over a distance of 100 km (62 mi).

in other words: fuel in passenger tank and you drive 60 miles and gauge level does not drop

• The ECM detects that the primary fuel tank is less than 28.5 L (7.5 gal) and the secondary fuel tank is more than 3.3 L (.87 gal) and the condition is present for 30 minutes.

in other words: senders show passenger tank still has gas and the driver tank is less than full. Should stay full until passenger tank empties.

• The ECM detects that the primary fuel tank is greater than 28.5 L (7.5 gal) and the secondary fuel tank is less than 3.3 L (.87 gal) over a distance of 200 km (124.2 mi).

in other words: senders show passenger tank is empty and the driver fuel level is not dropping over 120 miles.

It has to do with the 2 tank senders communicating with each other. If you drive and the senders are not doing what the computers state they should be doing, then you will get a DTC.

See above...Since the right tank empties first before the left tank, the left tank sender should not move until the right tank is empty. And then the right tank sender should stop moving and then the left tank sender starts to drop. It that doesn't happen, you get a P2066.

Not necessarily the driver tank sending unit. Suggest you clear the codes and drive a tank of gas to see what the needle is up to.
The following 2 users liked this post by C6ToGo:
12vette34 (02-27-2021), DTOM (07-20-2023)
Old 05-17-2018, 11:32 AM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by UROB1
If i'm not mistaken your saying I might need a new cap to the tank? I did have to knock on quite a bit to get it loosened . What about the driver side sending unit? what are your thoughts about that? so far just the passenger side was replaced
i cant be for sure that it is the ONLY problem your facing....but sure is the cheapest place to start LOL

i dredd pulling the tanks for a problem....for a better fuel system on my own terms id be a lot happier about doing the job LOL
Old 11-17-2018, 05:56 PM
gregrtaylor
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm experiencing a nightmare with my 2015 C7 Stingray. Had a P2068 code, dealer replaced sensor in drivers side tank (doesn't P2068 tell you to replace passenger side?). The sensor replacement didn't solve the problem so they kept looking and found a rodent had chewed through the passenger side rear wheel well and chewed some wires off. They replaced the wire harness and well cover.

Now within a week the gauge stopped working again. This time I pulled a P2066 code. Dealer says now they have to replace sensor in passenger side tank which requires dropping the axle etc.

In this case above does a P2068 relate to passenger side and P2066 relate to driver side?

Any ideas, suggestions are appreciated.....GT in AZ
Old 02-27-2021, 06:44 PM
12vette34
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great workup explaining P2068 code.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:03 PM
2StrikeHtr
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

12vette34, I agree - it is a good explanation. Ha, ha, I have to thank you for resurrecting a thread from 2018 or I wouldn't have seen it ! Hope you're not having fuel tank problems ... Tom

Get notified of new replies

To P2068 vs p2066

Quick Reply: P2068 vs p2066