C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RED Calipers - Options

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 08:25 AM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 150 Posts

Painted mine with a can of Krylon caliper paint from AutoBone. Masked off real good and used those sponge paint brushes the wife had for crafts. Gave them 2 good coats and used a razor blade to scrape off the letters. Been nearly two years and still look good. Should have painted the brackets black and I will when I get ambitious. Only removed the wheels.
The following users liked this post:
Vette_Fan (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 08:36 AM
rmtt
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did mine with caliper paint as well. Since I was changing rotors and pads, I just cleaned them up and sprayed multiple coats of Duplicolor red followed by multiple coats of clear after addressing the letters while they were in place as I wasn't concerned with over-spray.

Name:  Z6ss5mt.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  121.4 KB
Old 07-07-2018, 02:43 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by rmtt
I did mine with caliper paint as well. Since I was changing rotors and pads, I just cleaned them up and sprayed multiple coats of Duplicolor red followed by multiple coats of clear after addressing the letters while they were in place as I wasn't concerned with over-spray.

Did you do the letters White? I have a White car, considering do letters White.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:42 PM
rmtt
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
Did you do the letters White? I have a White car, considering do letters White.
I actually went over them with a metallic silver paint pen. Camera flash and angle makes them look white.

But they make those paint pens in white as well. Seems to hold up really well.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:53 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

This thread is for Red Caliper options only.
Not sure what you mean here. You're implying I can't reply to your comment " Sounds good, but spending almost $300 for just Red shiny calipers is a little over-priced for me." which is about red calipers and how much you're willing to spend.

If so, that's not how conversations work.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:31 AM
bacord
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I painted mine with the duplicolor and used black fingernail polish to do the letters. I also did it on my c4 and 4 years later when I sold it they still looked great

Last edited by bacord; 07-08-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:42 PM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Hi guys,

I want Red calipers that would go really well with my Arctic White vert with Chrome wheels.

There's a seller on E-auction site who sells all 4 powder coated Red calipers for around $280-$300 (with OEM core). He begins with making it smooth (instead of OEM rough) surface. Then powder coats it Red, giving a shiny/smooth look, with Corvette letter machine polished (Silver). Sounds good, but spending almost $300 for just Red shiny calipers is a little over-priced for me.

I don't want hack job looking cheapo by spray painting them Red either. I want them to look nice So what options do you recommend?

Thanks!
I painted mine with G2 caliper paint and I was aware that the texture of the casting is a little rough. Took my time and applied 3 coats and this brand of paint flowed out nicely and came out smooth and shiny and covered the roughness of the casting quite well. Actually, my calipers were not that dirty so I just used a brass wire brush. After 3 months they're still the same. I did use gloss black on mine (just my personal preference), so don't know if more conspicuous colors will do as well. I also used it to paint the vanes and the hat area of the rotors after wire-brushing and both of these areas are doing very well also. I was concerned about the heat generated in the rotor but so far the paint is holding up very well.

Quick Reply: RED Calipers - Options