C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vitesse for drag racing? Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 07:23 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by rajahhindi
I assume you have heard of "Scaling" in logic?
Dude I am not here to debate how it works or your intelligence in the matter , what I am here to debate is that it works when used to help with launching the car when traction conditions are not optimal as the OP asked ....

And I also subscribe to the KISS Principle...if you are an engineer then you would be smart enough to just pop off the intake hose and see what it does instead of trying to impress everybody with your intelligence

It's open at 100% WOT no matter what the setting, it's just slows the ramp down in economy settings . Take a look for yourself .....

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 05-20-2018 at 07:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
HOXXOH (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 07:27 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

0 is not negative? And I know how the Vitesse works. I have had one for over 2 years and like it
Wow , I love INTERNET MECHANICS I never said ZERO was negative , what I said was that was the setting I chose for the traction conditions that day

I appreciate that you know and love the Vitesse

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 05-20-2018 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:58 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Ed what tires you running , my buddy runs a stick car and the only way he got it to hook was with a pair of Mickey Thompson DR ...
Dave
I'm running Michelin PSS. I'm trying to avoid having to buy a second set of tires until I get out to Arizona just so I have less to move.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:00 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I assume you're familiar with acceleration/deceleration ramps used on stepper motors for CNC machinery. In this case, it's a rate change between the ramps that is being controlled, therefore the full range is maintained and WOT always exists. The eco mode merely flattens the angle or stretches the rate to create the same effect as rolling into the throttle or slipping the clutch. It controls the rate far more smoothly than a human.
What would your recommendation be? It sounds like you're in favor of it.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:14 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I'm running Michelin PSS. I'm trying to avoid having to buy a second set of tires until I get out to Arizona just so I have less to move.
Ed , our Friday night test and tunes are also "no track" prep so its tricky, some nights I could do no wrong and other nights I would get crappy 60ft times no matter what I did

I run the same tires in ZP version on both my C6 and C7 , get them hot but don't do a funny car burnout otherwise they get greasy . I go around the water box and do a quick 2,000 RPM burnout to get them hot

In the C6 , I left the nannies on , I would set the Vitesse to 0 to 3 depending on grip brake torque it to 1200 RPM just to preload , on the last yellow I would walk the throttle to the floor . If I did not walk the throttle my tires would instantly go up in smoke . It took me a while to learn

I only ran my C7 3 times so far this year and used Launch control and completive mode all three times , first time , no burnout , just pull up to the line , set launch control and bam out of the box I got a 1.7 60 ft time . I messed with other techniques like heating the tires and was rewarded with 2.0 60 ft times lol lol

Everybody is telling me that a C7 is faster not using launch control so that will be my next experiment

With yours it will be a combination of leaving the nannies on till you get better at launching , walking the throttle and riding the clutch , it takes practice that's for sure

here is one of those nights where i could do no wrong ( THANKS HOXXOH … ) I was smoke everybody off the line ….

Dave
Old 05-20-2018, 04:49 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Ed , our Friday night test and tunes are also "no track" prep so its tricky, some nights I could do no wrong and other nights I would get crappy 60ft times no matter what I did

I run the same tires in ZP version on both my C6 and C7 , get them hot but don't do a funny car burnout otherwise they get greasy . I go around the water box and do a quick 2,000 RPM burnout to get them hot

In the C6 , I left the nannies on , I would set the Vitesse to 0 to 3 depending on grip brake torque it to 1200 RPM just to preload , on the last yellow I would walk the throttle to the floor . If I did not walk the throttle my tires would instantly go up in smoke . It took me a while to learn

I only ran my C7 3 times so far this year and used Launch control and completive mode all three times , first time , no burnout , just pull up to the line , set launch control and bam out of the box I got a 1.7 60 ft time . I messed with other techniques like heating the tires and was rewarded with 2.0 60 ft times lol lol

Everybody is telling me that a C7 is faster not using launch control so that will be my next experiment

With yours it will be a combination of leaving the nannies on till you get better at launching , walking the throttle and riding the clutch , it takes practice that's for sure

here is one of those nights where i could do no wrong ( THANKS HOXXOH … ) I was smoke everybody off the line ….

Dave
I tried running with traction control on the first time I was out, and I ran crap times all night long because I kept spinning the tires in first and second, the traction control kicked in, and the engine bogged down. Last time I was out I ran with it off and was able to get into the high 12's. My problem is I'm losing about a half second or so from spinning at the launch. I was hoping the Vitesse would help with the wheel spin at launch. If I can nail that I'll easily be in the low 12's on street tires.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:23 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

I tried running with traction control on the first time I was out, and I ran crap times all night long because I kept spinning the tires in first and second, the traction control kicked in, and the engine bogged down. Last time I was out I ran with it off and was able to get into the high 12's. My problem is I'm losing about a half second or so from spinning at the launch. I was hoping the Vitesse would help with the wheel spin at launch. If I can nail that I'll easily be in the low 12's on street tires.
Ed without a doubt you will be in the low 12's , even with bad DA and crappy 60ft times I would crank out 12.3's all day but you need to modulate the gas pedal and ride the clutch , you cant plant it to the floor out of the gate . even with the Vitesse set to zero or lower , if you plant it to the floor you will still be at 100% throttle. On the last yellow I slowly push the pedal down listening for the slightest bit of wheelspin once I got the car rolling then its to the floor …….., If I jam it to the floor I will instantly blow the tires off of it

again , it takes a lot of practice but once you get it

Dave

Dave
Sledge Hammer (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 08:17 PM
rajahhindi
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Dude I am not here to debate how it works or your intelligence in the matter , what I am here to debate is that it works when used to help with launching the car when traction conditions are not optimal as the OP asked ....

And I also subscribe to the KISS Principle...if you are an engineer then you would be smart enough to just pop off the intake hose and see what it does instead of trying to impress everybody with your intelligence

It's open at 100% WOT no matter what the setting, it's just slows the ramp down in economy settings . Take a look for yourself .....

Dave
Mate, i'm not trying to be smart as I said in a previous post. I want the answer myself. Sure. I could just test the inputs to outputs in the different settings, but i'de rather just e-mail Vitesse for the answer.
What I do not adhere to, is people giving it definitely works like this without quaranteed proof! As for you and Tom, you are a wealth of
knowledge on here and I always appreciate your input, especially on drag racing. Sorry if I upset anyone.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:28 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Mate, i'm not trying to be smart as I said in a previous post. I want the answer myself. Sure. I could just test the inputs to outputs in the different settings, but i'de rather just e-mail Vitesse for the answer.
What I do not adhere to, is people giving it definitely works like this without quaranteed proof! As for you and Tom, you are a wealth of
knowledge on here and I always appreciate your input, especially on drag racing. Sorry if I upset anyone.
No problem Rajahhindi ….. so going back to the question , in ECO mode it does open 100% , , when you first calibrated the Vitesse , you saw a number , this is a voltage reading and represented the HIGH and Low . you can see these readings as you press the pedal down

Dave
Old 05-21-2018, 01:05 AM
rajahhindi
Racer

Dave
******, Just one thing. I Don't like being called DUDE or INTERNET MECHANIC . I am none of them. It is obvious you did not read my earlier post here, as you are TOO wrapped up in your own self worth to read that I was an industrial electrician. From what I have read from your posts, you are the epitome of a INTERNET MECHANIC!.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:06 AM
rajahhindi
Racer

Dave

Oh, My name is Brian which you could of found in my profile instead of insulting me calling me DUDE.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:41 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

What would your recommendation be? It sounds like you're in favor of it.
For an A6, used properly, it'd help on a poorly prepped track. IMHO for a M6, it's not for the casual or occasional drag racer. It's not going to help your clutch/throttle foot work until you have that part mastered and by then you'll feel you won't need it.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:28 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Oh, My name is Brian which you could of found in my profile instead of insulting me calling me DUDE.
Calling someone "dude" in the US isn't considered an insult. Unless, of course you happen to be a lass....
Dcasole (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 08:05 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
For an A6, used properly, it'd help on a poorly prepped track. IMHO for a M6, it's not for the casual or occasional drag racer. It's not going to help your clutch/throttle foot work until you have that part mastered and by then you'll feel you won't need it.
More seat time it is then.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:50 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Calling someone "dude" in the US isn't considered an insult. Unless, of course you happen to be a lass....
Thanks Ed.

Keep us posted on your progress , post some video of u can

Good Luck

Dave
Old 05-21-2018, 10:00 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Thanks Ed.

Keep us posted on your progress , post some video of u can

Good Luck

Dave
I'm going to have my daughter with me next time I go to the track, plus I'll have my GoPro mounted inside with me, so hopefully I'll have both inside and outside video to post up.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:20 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

Here's my thoughts...
As a big time drag racer at Englishtown for many yrs, Corvette Challenge Champion, 11.50 Index Champion, Modern Muscle Champion, etc., I think using the Vitesse could be a great thing...

Getting to WOT FAST off the line is a good thing..
I launch @ 1800 rpms, and then mash it, so power braking and then being able to get to WOT quicker, to me is a keen advantage as the VTC decreases actual pedal travel in order to get to WOT.

If you're spinning at SP9, you're not heating the tires up enough, or using the wrong tires!

SP9 is the same as SP0 (stock) once the pedal is mashed, except at SP9, you'll get WOT about 1/2 way down instead of all the way to the floor..

Now I haven't tried this as I used to race my C5, but thats my thoughts in case anyone is reading.. haha..

Get notified of new replies

To Vitesse for drag racing? Is it worth it?

Old 06-08-2018, 09:05 PM
TigerBoy93
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume you have heard of "Scaling" in logic?

I think you are talking past each other. The is a math problem and the equation is V(output)= is V(input)^1/Gamma(desired response shape curve). An inverse correction is mathematically being applied to the input voltage to achieve a desired curve shape or response curve. Even though there is an analog to digital to analog conversion, this is an analog to analog conversion.

This is almost identical to video and voltage input vs. light output. As desired response curve/s are being generated based on math, Vitesse is using 9 different exponents to generate the 9 different power response curves..

Video math: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_correction

And Negative is the appropriate term for anything less than a gamma exponent of 1.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:09 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

To many science and math books in this thread to figure out what’s what.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:17 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by YO-EL
Here's my thoughts...
As a big time drag racer at Englishtown for many yrs, Corvette Challenge Champion, 11.50 Index Champion, Modern Muscle Champion, etc., I think using the Vitesse could be a great thing...

Getting to WOT FAST off the line is a good thing..
I launch @ 1800 rpms, and then mash it, so power braking and then being able to get to WOT quicker, to me is a keen advantage as the VTC decreases actual pedal travel in order to get to WOT.

If you're spinning at SP9, you're not heating the tires up enough, or using the wrong tires!

SP9 is the same as SP0 (stock) once the pedal is mashed, except at SP9, you'll get WOT about 1/2 way down instead of all the way to the floor..

Now I haven't tried this as I used to race my C5, but thats my thoughts in case anyone is reading.. haha..

Haha! I was just scrolling up from the bottom of the page, and read this post and was saying this guy knows what he talking about, and then I saw it was ME who posted it!!!!!

Quick Reply: Vitesse for drag racing? Is it worth it?