C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got hit by a drunk driver

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 07:44 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Got hit by a drunk driver

Wednesday afternoon, I was coming home in my 2009 crystal red Vette, in the middle lane minding my own business, when I felt and heard a thump. Someone in a large SUV had hit my front passenger fender ... and kept going. I followed her for a mile or so to get the tag number until she had to stop at a light, but then she hit another car, and sped off again. I picked up the police accident report yesterday and it listed her as being "extremely intoxicated" when they picked her up. Not only did she get charged with DUI, but had an open container in the car, and was driving with a suspended license. A model citizen for sure.

When I looked at the damage, I was surprised how little there was. Nothing was broken, but the paint appeared to be scuffed, and the chrome wheel looked like it would need to be replaced. This morning, I got out the paint thinner to clean off all the rubber that came from her tire, and there was hardly any damage at all. There was no damage to the rim after all the rubber came off, and a little light buffing with polish and some wax and the fender and bumper should be good to go. Had the car been made of metal, both would have to be repaired or replaced

When will people learn not to drive when they've been drinking though? She could have easily killed someone.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:50 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Glad to read you're ok. Could have been quite bad. Maybe some judge will throw the book at her----a few months in jail might sober her up in a different way.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:51 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Glad you are OK. Man, you are lucky. Hope she gets hers.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:51 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Yeah, it's amazing the world we live in now. I'm still as worried about a completely sober chronic texter as I am worried about a 2.0 drunk.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlindSpot:
astaggs (05-21-2018), Landru (05-20-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 09:44 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

If I were you, I would let a body shop that specializes in Corvettes take a look at it. I have a friend who got rear ended at a Chevy car show when the brakes on a classic Chevy failed.

There was a lot of hidden damage. He still doesn't have the exhaust fixed right. One of the tips is longer than the others.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:48 PM
Yokesc5
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

We have a similiar thread active, riding motorcycles all my life, driving or riding minding my own business is deadly. Usually get cut off atbminimum once a day while commuting. No fender benders on MC
Glad your situation was arrested and the repair was just a cleanup.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:57 PM
BigBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Had a lady back into the door on my c5. From the outside didn’t look like much if any damage. Took it to the shop and when they pulled it apart the whole inside of the door was busted up and the exterior panel was fractured. Fiberglass damages real easy.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:25 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

At least you're still here to post about it. As you know, it could have been much worse.

Good Luck with the repairs.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:46 PM
DonBC6
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad it wasn't worse. I would have an experienced vette body shop look at it..
Old 05-19-2018, 10:58 PM
corvette312
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I am glad that you are okay. But I don't tolerate drunken drivers at all !!!! No excuse to be on the road while intoxicated.
The following users liked this post:
astaggs (05-21-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 11:07 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Yeah, it's amazing the world we live in now. I'm still as worried about a completely sober chronic texter as I am worried about a 2.0 drunk.
11 teens die everyday texting and driving, maybe the conversation should be on banning cell phones...… that's over 4000 a year.

11 teens die everyday as a result of texting while driving.
https://www.teensafe.com/blog/teens-...nd-statistics/

General Cell Phone Statistics
The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year.
Nearly 390,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving.
1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving.
Texting while driving is 6x more likely to cause an accident than driving drunk.
Answering a text takes away your attention for about five seconds. Traveling at 55 mph, that's enough time to travel the length of a football field.
Texting while driving causes a 400 percent increase in time spent with eyes off the road.
Of all cell phone related tasks, texting is by far the most dangerous activity.
94 percent of drivers support a ban on texting while driving.
74 percent of drivers support a ban on hand-held cell phone use.
https://www.edgarsnyder.com/car-acci...tatistics.html

Last edited by R&L's C6; 05-19-2018 at 11:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by R&L's C6:
BlindSpot (05-20-2018), Landru (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 06:03 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Make it personal, write the Judge a letter, better yet ask to testify. She needs a stern lesson such as losing her “privileges” to operate a motor vehicle...
Old 05-20-2018, 07:27 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
Wednesday afternoon, I was coming home in my 2009 crystal red Vette, in the middle lane minding my own business, when I felt and heard a thump. Someone in a large SUV had hit my front passenger fender ... and kept going. I followed her for a mile or so to get the tag number until she had to stop at a light, but then she hit another car, and sped off again. I picked up the police accident report yesterday and it listed her as being "extremely intoxicated" when they picked her up. Not only did she get charged with DUI, but had an open container in the car, and was driving with a suspended license. A model citizen for sure.

When I looked at the damage, I was surprised how little there was. Nothing was broken, but the paint appeared to be scuffed, and the chrome wheel looked like it would need to be replaced. This morning, I got out the paint thinner to clean off all the rubber that came from her tire, and there was hardly any damage at all. There was no damage to the rim after all the rubber came off, and a little light buffing with polish and some wax and the fender and bumper should be good to go. Had the car been made of metal, both would have to be repaired or replaced

When will people learn not to drive when they've been drinking though? She could have easily killed someone.
I’m glad you weren’t injured. It is amazing the your vette cleaned up without damage. I’m glad she got caught.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:06 AM
BigBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by S.C. vette

Make it personal, write the Judge a letter, better yet ask to testify. She needs a stern lesson such as losing her “privileges” to operate a motor vehicle...
Her license was already suspended. Laws are only followed by good people.
The following 2 users liked this post by BigBlue:
Atomic6 (05-20-2018), Landru (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 08:28 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

It seems impaired driving never ends. I guess it can't end when you have to drive to get to bars. It really is a weird world we live in. As if everyone has a designated driver or takes a cab. It just isn't reality. It's wishful thinking that humans will obey laws. It would be nice but it's living in a fairy tale.
I worked 'traffic' solely for two years when I was in law enforcement, involved in special DUI task forces at night during some weeks. It was endless arrests, and quite amazing at the same time how many people think that they can drive the same after a few drinks. Legislators can write all the laws they want to but they are obeyed only by law abiding citizens. For others, they laugh at laws or it doesn't apply to them. Prohibition was a joke, the war on drugs was and is a joke after decades of trying, and you can go on and on. When there is demand, there is the black market, laws be damned. I was pleased with my 25 years in the profession, and I'm thankful there are enough people out there still undertaking the task of keeping us reasonably safe.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:46 AM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

Considering that the wheel was "touched" at all, I would still take it to a Chevy dealer, or good tire shop and have the alignment checked, and also to make sure the wheel isn't bent While you're at it have the dealer's body shop check out the fender too. I'd do this with my car. Besides, if there's any damage, repair cost won't come out of your pocket!
Old 05-20-2018, 10:50 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Glad you and Vette are ok, she needs some jail time

Get notified of new replies

To Got hit by a drunk driver

Old 05-20-2018, 10:59 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You certainly dodged a bullet there!
Old 05-20-2018, 11:47 AM
iw172
Drifting

Location: Retired early,everyday is Saturday...Hocking Hills Ohio
Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

bet she was driving un-insured as well...
Old 05-20-2018, 11:59 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic6
It seems impaired driving never ends. I guess it can't end when you have to drive to get to bars. It really is a weird world we live in. As if everyone has a designated driver or takes a cab. It just isn't reality. It's wishful thinking that humans will obey laws. It would be nice but it's living in a fairy tale.
I worked 'traffic' solely for two years when I was in law enforcement, involved in special DUI task forces at night during some weeks. It was endless arrests, and quite amazing at the same time how many people think that they can drive the same after a few drinks. Legislators can write all the laws they want to but they are obeyed only by law abiding citizens. For others, they laugh at laws or it doesn't apply to them. Prohibition was a joke, the war on drugs was and is a joke after decades of trying, and you can go on and on. When there is demand, there is the black market, laws be damned. I was pleased with my 25 years in the profession, and I'm thankful there are enough people out there still undertaking the task of keeping us reasonably safe.

The government needs to legislate driving impaired free zones, have signage, and tough sentences for ignoring them ... more laws would definately help. Better yet, instead of the free zones, maybe we could just ban vehicles.

Quick Reply: Got hit by a drunk driver