C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe vs Vert for trips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 10:06 AM
mnhutch
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Coupe vs Vert for trips?

I'm researching my first Vette purchase. I'm wondering if the coupe would be preferable for longer trips over the convertible? Can you get enough luggage in a vert for a several day trip? What about security of the vert top overnight at motels? I've never owned a convertible before but it seems like fun to me. Thanks for any thoughts!
Old 05-20-2018, 10:13 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Coupe is probably less likely to be broken into if no valuables are left showing when it's parked.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:23 AM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I've done overnight trips in three different Corvettes -

1995 Coupe
1999 Convertible
2011 Coupe

For my wife and I, it's hands down that we prefer overnight travel in a coupe. There's more luggage space, and we can position things like the cooler so we can access it during the drive (no need to stop).

We also didn't really enjoy the top down experience at highway speeds. For us, the convertible is fun around town and on short trips within the local area (think day trips). But we've done lots of day trips where we start with the top out on a coupe, stop along the way for breakfast, and then put the top back in because it's getting too warm or the sun is starting to bake us.

A convertible with the top up just looks strange - and the reduction in rear visibility with the top up also affects the fun factor to me.

I have a close friend with a convertible, and he thinks it's strange that I prefer a coupe. So it really just depends on what you enjoy the most.

Steven

Last edited by OldCorvetteFan; 05-20-2018 at 10:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OldCorvetteFan:
mnhutch (05-20-2018), Yokesc5 (07-06-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 10:25 AM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by mnhutch
I'm researching my first Vette purchase. I'm wondering if the coupe would be preferable for longer trips over the convertible? Can you get enough luggage in a vert for a several day trip? What about security of the vert top overnight at motels? I've never owned a convertible before but it seems like fun to me. Thanks for any thoughts!
I wouldn't worry about it! It doesn't matter what you drive, if they want in, they're getting in! Unfortunately, these cars are attention getters!
Old 05-20-2018, 10:28 AM
mnhutch
Heel & Toe

Thanks! Some really good points I haven't thought of. My wife is voting coupe!
Old 05-20-2018, 10:30 AM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,885 Likes on 793 Posts

Before purchase, we were torn between getting our first ever convertible and the coupe. We had an '87 coupe previously and found the wind "buffeting" annoying when we drove "top off." Decided on the vert....love it. Nice evenings or mornings its great to drive and enjoy the sun and smells of nature. We did a week long tour of car museums from here in the Southeast up through Michigan and Indiana and back through Kentucky two years ago....no problem with room or packing. Just pack sensibly. If I did it again, I would still go convertible. One note....you are right on one comment...on long interstate runs we leave the top up.

The following users liked this post:
mnhutch (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 10:35 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

We've been travelling on extended vacations in convertibles for the past 16 years, mostly in our '07 GT 'vert. We have been all over North America from the southwest US to Alberta Canada. Route 66 in a 'vert?? Priceless! The Canadian Rockies on the Icefields Parkway? Amazing! When you get those 'perfect' days you feel like you are in heaven with the top down. Yes, you have to pack a few less clothes but it is well worth it. As far as security, just don't leave anything in the car that is visible. Why bother slashing a convertible top if there is nothing seen inside? Vandalism, just for sheer meanness, is always a possibility but so isn't just running a key along any car's paint. This year we are taking our '01 T/A to Cape Cod. You can see by my signature that we have no issues owning 'verts and taking them all over. Have fun!!
The following 4 users liked this post by Atomic6:
94Green (05-21-2018), marinablu67 (05-20-2018), mnhutch (05-20-2018), OlyC6 (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 10:48 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Coupe will hold lots of cargo for a trip and so much quieter at 80+ on the open roads.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:58 AM
Barndog Buddha
Instructor

Location: Gurnee IL. so close to Wisc. I can smell it when they cut the cheese
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The coupe will hold two good sized suitcases w/ room left for a cooler, camera bag, jackets, boots ect. ect. The verts trunk opening and size seems to work better w/ soft sided luggage that will conform to the space better w/ space to tuck extras in. Either way you can not beat travel in a vette.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:03 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I've done several cross-country (and Canada trips) in both a coupe and Vert, and I can tell you that as long as you want to see out the rear-view mirror, they hold the same amount.

With the top up and partition down, the Vert holds virtually the same amount of stuff as the coupe with the top on. With the top down and the partition up, I would say the Vert has even more practical space than the coupe with the top off and stowed.

Of course if you don't care or need to see out the rear, then the coupe has more space.

There is a bigger difference in what you can actually pack (clothes, toys, supplies, etc...) between hard-sided luggage, and soft, duffel types than coupe and Vert, so if space is of concern, use duffel bags and drive whichever type of Vette you like.
The following 3 users liked this post by owc6:
94Green (05-21-2018), marinablu67 (05-20-2018), mnhutch (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 12:16 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by mnhutch
I can get 2 sets of golf clubs and luggage in the vert.If you take the top off a Coupe very little storage.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:19 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

One word...........hail. Coupe will withstand it better. Will it hail while you're traveling? Most likely not. But can you be sure? No. You can get TONS of stuff in the Vert with the top up, but that space cuts in half top down. I'd take the couple, take everything I need, and be comfortable and more relaxed about my choice. Just my opinion.
mnhutch (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 12:23 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that

Vert the only wat to travel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

94Green (05-21-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 12:54 PM
mnhutch
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
Vert the only wat to travel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beautiful car!!
GARYFINN (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 01:06 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,623 Likes on 2,347 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by peter pan
Coupe will hold lots of cargo for a trip and so much quieter at 80+ on the open roads.
I call

Originally Posted by USA1 427
One word...........hail. Coupe will withstand it better. Will it hail while you're traveling?
Do you wear suspenders with your belt?
Hail that will damage a convertible top will, more than likely, damage paint. I don't want to be in "damaging" hail in any car but I don't let the threat of hail influence my decision on buying a car

Last edited by ruxvette; 05-20-2018 at 01:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ruxvette:
89talon (05-21-2018), Steel City (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 01:08 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ruxvette
I call

Do you wear suspenders with your belt?
Hail that will damage a convertible topo will, more than likely, damage paint. I don't want to be in "damaging" hail in any car but I don't let the threat of hail influence my decision on buying a car
Exactly what if Aliens shoot it with a LASER which car would be better
Old 05-20-2018, 01:18 PM
JerryC5
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 79 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

A convertible is the only way to go. See the USA in your Chevrolet!!

We have taken 5 trips of 5000 miles or more from St louis to all over the western US. Have done the Pacific Coast Highway 3 times. We always travel on two lane roads if possible, and try to avoid the interstate roads. Our trips are generally about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks, and there is plenty of luggage space. We always travel with the top down, and it only goes up at night at the motel.

Remember, if you are driving at highway speeds, the rain will not hit you when the top is down, it rolls off the windshield, then along the door windows. A few drops get in the back near the rear of the side windows, but it's never a problem. I have only been a little wet once, last year near Telluride, in a blinding rainstorm, caught between a tanker and another 18 wheeler, and no shoulder on the road to pull over and raise the top. We survived.

For long drives we will put the side windows up..... yes it looks weird, but it greatly reduces the buffeting. My C6 has a Windrestrictor, which is great, as it reduces buffeting and you can talk and listen to the radio.

There is never anything visible in the car when we park at a motel, it's all in the trunk, unlike a coupe which is all glass and you can't hide your bags & stuff. We have also learned to dress and pack for these trips. We wear all nylon clothes, which can be washed in the sink, and are dry in the morning. that includes shorts, pants, shirts, underwear and socks.3 or 4 sets will do you almost forever. We add a spare pair of shoes, shaving/makeup kit, and a jacket or sweatshirt for those cool mountain evenings.

We pack the clothes and stuff in two soft duffle style bags, and the following:

Laptop

camera and chargers, folding tripod for selfies

Bag with Gin, Vermouth, Tonic water.

California Duster, two towels, California waterblade . Wash the car in the AM at a DIY carwash, squeegee off, dry it, and hit the road. Car is always clean. Take two rolls of quarters.

On hangers, in a hanging bag, we put a "nice" set of clothes in case we go to a nice restaurant, or somewhere which requires nicer clothes. This bag lies flat on the floor under the retracted top. We seldom use those clothes.

Get the vert, it is wonderful to see the countryside, and is the reason for the trip.

Here's what it looks like;

Off roading at the Continental Divide in Montana, 2005

Absoroka Range, June 2008 North of Yellowstone

Beartooth Pass june 2008

Yellowstone 2010

White Sands, NM 2013

Bonneville UT, 2015

Mt Rainier, 2015

The following 5 users liked this post by JerryC5:
89talon (05-21-2018), 94Green (05-21-2018), JoeMatilda (07-07-2018), Steel City (05-20-2018), Yokesc5 (05-21-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Coupe vs Vert for trips?

Old 05-20-2018, 01:33 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I've traveled w. a convertible and an older-generation coupe. For one person, the convertible is fine. If two up, you have to really know how to pack, using only soft-side luggage IMO so that things will stuff down, and just be ready to wash clothes along the way. But truthfully, the open-air, complete top-down drive at times is worth any real or imagined inconvenience of a convertible if you ask me.

It's a tough decision to make, but talk it over with your wife and see what you both really want. I might even suggest your renting any convertible for a weekend and trying it out. Better of course if it's a Corvette, even if it is expensive to do so. A couple hundred vs. $25K or more to find out is kind of a good bargain "test" cost.
mnhutch (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 01:34 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Beautiful Red Vert
Old 05-20-2018, 01:35 PM
mnhutch
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by JerryC5
A convertible is the only way to go. See the USA in your Chevrolet!!

We have taken 5 trips of 5000 miles or more from St louis to all over the western US. Have done the Pacific Coast Highway 3 times. We always travel on two lane roads if possible, and try to avoid the interstate roads. Our trips are generally about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks, and there is plenty of luggage space. We always travel with the top down, and it only goes up at night at the motel.

Remember, if you are driving at highway speeds, the rain will not hit you when the top is down, it rolls off the windshield, then along the door windows. A few drops get in the back near the rear of the side windows, but it's never a problem. I have only been a little wet once, last year near Telluride, in a blinding rainstorm, caught between a tanker and another 18 wheeler, and no shoulder on the road to pull over and raise the top. We survived.

For long drives we will put the side windows up..... yes it looks weird, but it greatly reduces the buffeting. My C6 has a Windrestrictor, which is great, as it reduces buffeting and you can talk and listen to the radio.

There is never anything visible in the car when we park at a motel, it's all in the trunk, unlike a coupe which is all glass and you can't hide your bags & stuff. We have also learned to dress and pack for these trips. We wear all nylon clothes, which can be washed in the sink, and are dry in the morning. that includes shorts, pants, shirts, underwear and socks.3 or 4 sets will do you almost forever. We add a spare pair of shoes, shaving/makeup kit, and a jacket or sweatshirt for those cool mountain evenings.

We pack the clothes and stuff in two soft duffle style bags, and the following:

Laptop

camera and chargers, folding tripod for selfies

Bag with Gin, Vermouth, Tonic water.

California Duster, two towels, California waterblade . Wash the car in the AM at a DIY carwash, squeegee off, dry it, and hit the road. Car is always clean. Take two rolls of quarters.

On hangers, in a hanging bag, we put a "nice" set of clothes in case we go to a nice restaurant, or somewhere which requires nicer clothes. This bag lies flat on the floor under the retracted top. We seldom use those clothes.

Get the vert, it is wonderful to see the countryside, and is the reason for the trip.

Here's what it looks like;

Off roading at the Continental Divide in Montana, 2005

Absoroka Range, June 2008 North of Yellowstone

Beartooth Pass june 2008

Yellowstone 2010

White Sands, NM 2013

Bonneville UT, 2015

Mt Rainier, 2015

My wife and I just turned 61 and really want to get a Vette! Thanks so much for the useful tips and great photos. We appreciate it very much!

Quick Reply: Coupe vs Vert for trips?