C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muff shop failure, installing Z06 exhaust into base car

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 07:39 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
Musthave: did you drop the rear cradle, and still have the difficulty snaking it back in place? Or, did you leave everything where it was, and just work with it until you got it out/back in?
Absolutely not. You just need to loosen those shields above where the mufflers sit. There is zero reason to drop the cradle. Zero.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:44 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Just be aware that once you weld it isn't an easy take apart.

Joining the down pies with the mid pipe via a weld isn't a good idea.
That was NEVER my intention. There are so many variables in this thread, that I understand how you saw it that way. I would never make those two connections permanent.

There are a lot of moving parts. The only Z06 parts that MUST be in place are the manifolds, downpipes, and mufflers, NOT including the over-axle pipes from the Z muffs. The mid-pipe and over-axle can be from either car. I was trying to satisfy my needs, and those of the (failed) shop by using the 2.5" mid and over axle.

Now that I am doing it by myself, I can use whatever I want, or what works best.

Thanks for your input.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:00 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
Absolutely not. You just need to loosen those shields above where the mufflers sit. There is zero reason to drop the cradle. Zero.
Good info for me. I will be applying everything you, and others, are saying. Others have done it, so I know I can. I was just really taken aback by what the "pro" at the shop said about the difficulty.

You know, the last thing they want to hear is, "You can't be right about that, because my friends on the internet say different."

Rather than argue, I just went home and whined to all of you...haha
Old 05-26-2018, 12:57 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

When I did mine and a couple of friends, I only loosened the clamps between the axle-back pipe and the mid-pipe (X or H). Removed the bolts and nuts to allow the sway bar to swing down. Disconnected the vacuum hoses if NPP. Then removed the four muffler hanger bolts. Nothing else got removed or loosened to get the mufflers out. That was with the OEM 2.5" pipe size.
I've removed my mufflers several times for different reasons and it takes longer to get the car on jackstands than to take the mufflers out. However, using the Z06 mufflers/axle-back 3" pipe and trying to snake that around your A6 trans and still having rattle free clearance is above my paygrade. AKA I never want to do it.

I assume your mufflers are NPP and still in place, but the OEM X-pipe is removed. I also assume you have the Z06 manifolds and downpipes installed too. I also assume the Z06 system you bought has an H-pipe for the mid-pipe. If I'm correct so far, you'll need a hacksaw, two 3 to 2.5 reducers, two 3" clamps, two 2.5" clamps, and two hours labor before beer time. You wont even need to take your mufflers out to do it. If you want to go that direction, I'll get you a pic of the most recent one I've done tomorrow morning.

Last edited by HOXXOH; 05-26-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:03 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

I had a set of Z06 mufflers installed a month ago to replace the screaming banshee loud Billy Boat bullets that were on my 2007 when I bought it. They went in with just dropping the sway bar out of the way. Took the muffler shop about an hour to do it, including having to fabricate connector pipes since the Billy Boat catted x-pipe didn't quite line up with the stock system.

Last edited by mcm95403; 05-26-2018 at 04:04 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:28 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Originally Posted by Tj25
z06 is a manual car and you have an auto tranny , i thin that where it might be getting complicated.
Bingo. The 3" over axle pipes will not fit with the automatic transmission in place. You would need to weld the z06 mufflers onto the stock over axle pipes.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:19 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
That was NEVER my intention. There are so many variables in this thread, that I understand how you saw it that way. I would never make those two connections permanent.

There are a lot of moving parts. The only Z06 parts that MUST be in place are the manifolds, downpipes, and mufflers, NOT including the over-axle pipes from the Z muffs. The mid-pipe and over-axle can be from either car. I was trying to satisfy my needs, and those of the (failed) shop by using the 2.5" mid and over axle.

Now that I am doing it by myself, I can use whatever I want, or what works best.

Thanks for your input.
On me for misunderstanding.

Happens more and more the older I get.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:33 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I have a question about why your doing this. Will the Z06 manifold flow that much better to over come the choke of the base pipe?

Seems to me long tubes would be a better solution, unless you have a visual inspection like in Cali.
Not an expert, just wanting to learn.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:00 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
I have a question about why your doing this. Will the Z06 manifold flow that much better to over come the choke of the base pipe?

Seems to me long tubes would be a better solution, unless you have a visual inspection like in Cali.
Not an expert, just wanting to learn.
Z06 manifolds are basically shorty headers, four individual stainless steel pipes that meet at the collector. The four pipes are covered with a stainless steel jacket.
Long tubes will provide more power, but the Z06 exhaust is at least 1/2 of the power gain when upgrading from the cast iron LS3/2 exhaust manifolds. Yes, ideal for CA inspections.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 05-26-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:11 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
Z06 manifolds are basically shorty headers, four individual stainless steel pipes that meet at the collector. The four pipes are covered with a stainless steel jacket.
Long tubes will provide more power, but the Z06 exhaust is at least 1/2 of the power gain when upgrading from the cast iron LS3/2 exhaust manifolds. Yes, ideal for CA inspections.
Thanks, that's what I thought.

But wouldn't the step down to 2 1/2 stock pipe reduce those gains....or would it increase the pressure to where it needs to be for the LS3/2?

In my mind the system is limited by the smallest part....correct?
Old 05-26-2018, 05:30 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
Thanks, that's what I thought.

But wouldn't the step down to 2 1/2 stock pipe reduce those gains....or would it increase the pressure to where it needs to be for the LS3/2?

In my mind the system is limited by the smallest part....correct?

When you run the Z06 exhaust manifolds you also run Z06 3" downpipes with cats. The LS3's 2 1/2" downpipes will not bolt on because the collector is smaller. You should also run the Z06 3" mid pipe. From the mid pipe, you have the option to run 3" Z06 mufflers or add reducers to fit the 2 1/2" NPP mufflers. The Z06 mufflers actually reduce size at the inlet of the muffler, but the rest of the piping is 3". The exhaust velocity at this HP level is not as critical as you go downstream over the axle, so reducing to 2 1/2" piping has negligible HP loss.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 05-26-2018 at 06:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
1968swbbigblock (11-25-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 09:46 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Bingo. The 3" over axle pipes will not fit with the automatic transmission in place. You would need to weld the z06 mufflers onto the stock over axle pipes.
Mine is all done now, and the 3" over-axle pipes did fit quite well with my A6. After a couple unsuccessful tries, I realized that I needed to take 3" off the driver side over-axle pipe, and drop the sway bar, so that the pipe would drop down before contacting the shift linkage area, which is too narrow for a 3" pipe to drop through. Once I did that, it practically fell into place. I also had to grind off the clamps from the 3" mid-pipe because they are mounted horizontal. I turned them down 90 degrees, then had a short sleeve put on the driver pipe that I cut, and it all bolted up like it was made that way. No rattles, tips in perfect alignment.

The whole swap is kind of a moving target for folks because there are several ways to make it work. Once I decided I wanted an entire 3" Z06 system all the way through, it was not that hard to see what needed to be done to make it work.

Last edited by buckmeister2; 11-26-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:00 PM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I am a Newbie 2012 Grand Sport owner.

I'm interested in this Z06 Manifold, Etc upgrade vs the HUGE $ for
aftermarket headers.

Are these Z06 takeoff parts hard to find.....???

My Below GS has NPP mufflers. Will the replacement
Z06 Mufflers Not have NPP and I eliminate/plug the vacumn ??

I will re-read this thread and try to put together a list of what I need

Will somebody please help me....I do have a lift and tools

Thank You
Attached Images  

Last edited by CamarosRus; 06-09-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:40 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

No, the parts are not hard to find, and they are far cheaper than aftermarket.

I did the swap by myself, on the garage floor, car on stands. I am NO mechanic. I learned a lot, and was able to do something almost everyone said could not be done...swap in the entire 3" Z06 system, front to back, in an A6 car. No rattles or vibrations.

Other than the expected swap in of parts, I found a few things that had to be done,which make it much easier, and to accommodate my A6. They are:
1. Remove the sway bar...easy to do, 6 nuts/bolts
2. Cut off about 4" from the driver side over-axle pipe. With that done, and the sway bar out, the 3" pipe drops in behind/below the A6 lever, then slides forward for perfect fit.
3. Grind off the clamps on the rear of the mid-pipe. Remount them facing down for trans pan clearance. I did this after I had installed the pipes....duh.
4. When installing down-pipe onto manifold, use a stud/nut in the rear-most hole only. The other holes will need bolts (Thanks, HOXXOH!)
5. When all done, have a shop weld a sleeve in to replace the 4" you removed, and tighten everything up.
6. Buy two 02 sensor extensions in advance. Lots of people say you can slice the tape and unravel enough of the harness to reach the rear sensor, but if you slice into a tiny wire, you are screwed. Buy the extensions on ebay, about $30 for 2.

If I had known the over-axle pipe could be cut and dropped right into place, I would have saved at least 6 hours under the car. This complete swap is so much easier knowing these few things. With a lift and someone to help, I would be surprised if it takes more than 4 or 5 hours. I assume that you have Allen sockets for the sway bar end links, and an air ratchet wrench. You can reuse the Z06 manifold-to-downpipe gaskets if they came with the purchase, but you must use new Z06 manifold-to-head gaskets ($30).

Buy a can of PB, and spray every bolt that will be touched as soon as you get it on the lift. By the time you get to each bolt, it will make it much easier to undo them. You need to bust them loose with a regular ratchet wrench, but the air ratchet really saves time after that.

I have seen complete Z06 system take-offs as low as $400, and as high as $1200, so it pays to shop around. Also, any shop that tells you you have to drop the cradle is full of crap. Two local shops quoted me $900 to $1500 for the job...what a joke.

I have a set of Z06 manifolds for sale....$200. Perfect condition, with heat shield for starter.

Last edited by buckmeister2; 06-09-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:33 AM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Buckmeister2, Thanks for your detailed instructions above.....I have questions of course !!!

1) "Grind off the clamps on rear of mid pipe" Are you refering to the OE 3" Z06 clamps ???
and to replace them with ???. Why cant these original Z06 clamps be reused ???

2) " have a shop weld a sleeve in to replace the 4" you removed" A sleeve goes over something.....Why cant
the same 4" piece you cut be welded back on ?? (Your pics would sure explain a lot)
May we assume without cutting this 4" off the that the drivers side over axle pipe just WONT FIT ?????

3) What about vacumn hose or whatever is currently going to my NPP mufflers .....Just plug it ??

Again pics would have been so helpful

I will be shopping for COMPLETE Z06 system
Old 06-12-2018, 06:02 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CamarosRus
Buckmeister2, Thanks for your detailed instructions above.....I have questions of course !!!

1) "Grind off the clamps on rear of mid pipe" Are you refering to the OE 3" Z06 clamps ???
and to replace them with ???. Why cant these original Z06 clamps be reused ???

In my earlier post, I stated what to do with the clamps. Grind off, rotate, and re-use. If you have a manual trans, you might not need to do this if there is space. If you have an A6, you MUST do this.

2) " have a shop weld a sleeve in to replace the 4" you removed" A sleeve goes over something.....Why cant
the same 4" piece you cut be welded back on ?? (Your pics would sure explain a lot)
May we assume without cutting this 4" off the that the drivers side over axle pipe just WONT FIT ?????

Yes, you can reattach the severed piece of pipe. My answer regarding a sleeve/reducer was to help another person who asked about retaining their 2.5" midpipe. Part 2...Explained in text...IF you have an A6, the over-axle pipe on driver side is too long to drop into place without hitting the A6 lever, so about 4" needs to be removed. I think this is the part that makes some people say it is impossible to use the complete 3" system on a base car with an A6. Cutting this section of pipe, and reattaching (or sleeving), makes it quite simple. Drop into place, slide muff forward, reattach pipe, or add sleeve.

3) What about vacumn hose or whatever is currently going to my NPP mufflers .....Just plug it ??

All C6 Z06 mufflers have the vacuum system already in place...just plug in your lines with no mod needed. My car did not come with NPP, so I will need to plumb for that system to work, or just run it open.

Again pics would have been so helpful.

No pics were taken, but I may take some this week. If you read through the details carefull, no pics will be needed, though I agree they could help.

I will be shopping for COMPLETE Z06 system
Good luck...they are out there, fairly plentiful. Do check all the parts for damage, as some folks bust off the header bolts, or ding the tips, either of which may require a specialty machine shop to repair, depending on condition. Also, if you can snag the oval downpipe gaskets, which are reusable, you will save $60.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:46 AM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Buckmeister and others, I have just ordered 1 7/8" American Racing Headers and their Catted X-pipe
for my LS3 2012 Grand Sport A6 (Inferno Orange above picture)

I dont know or comprehend what over the axle pipes or what OE Muffler Setup will be best for 2012
Grand Sport....

Im looking for another thread where a member stated that the 2011-2013 Z06 Muffler(s) were better than
my current stock set-up

Chuck Sharin Auburn,WA
Old 11-25-2018, 09:00 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Buckmeister, nice work getting everything in place & bolted up, but that's a lot of work for what? Bite the bullet & buy a set of long tube headers & a X pipe designed for those headers for a way easier installation. I'm assuming that you are after the performance gains? If you are, the header/X pipe combo is the way to go. Most aftermarket X pipes will fit your existing axle back pipes & mufflers if you want to keep them also
Old 11-25-2018, 10:07 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 449er
Buckmeister, nice work getting everything in place & bolted up, but that's a lot of work for what? Bite the bullet & buy a set of long tube headers & a X pipe designed for those headers for a way easier installation. I'm assuming that you are after the performance gains? If you are, the header/X pipe combo is the way to go. Most aftermarket X pipes will fit your existing axle back pipes & mufflers if you want to keep them also
U R correct, and I would have done so if it were not for a 48-month GMEPP, with 40 months left. Headers invalidate the plan. I may have gained 15 HP total--not much--but I also gained the dual mode exhaust, which I did not have stock, and wanted.

Quick Reply: Muff shop failure, installing Z06 exhaust into base car