C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Most Important Mod - Suspension!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 01:20 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Since I have already bought the HD shocks and the stiffer springs, what should I expect?

I've read posts here where guys have gone with that sort of combo, so I hope it's not going to have negative effects.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:28 PM
VETYGUD
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
Since I have already bought the HD shocks and the stiffer springs, what should I expect?

I've read posts here where guys have gone with that sort of combo, so I hope it's not going to have negative effects.

I did the heavier bars with poly bar bushings and the Bilstein HD shocks on a base 99 and was happy with that. I felt the road more but it was far better then the OEM set up. IMO the C6 setup that I described on my 09 seems to be dialed in for my tastes. Both Bilsteins are going to be better then the OEM suspension. I prefer a tighter, more controlled suspension then the base. I do a lot of road trips and enjoy the handling. Some like the softer ride.
The following users liked this post:
Vette_Fan (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 03:29 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Default Break through....

Originally Posted by VETYGUD
I did the heavier bars with poly bar bushings and the Bilstein HD shocks on a base 99 and was happy with that. I felt the road more but it was far better then the OEM set up. IMO the C6 setup that I described on my 09 seems to be dialed in for my tastes. Both Bilsteins are going to be better then the OEM suspension. I prefer a tighter, more controlled suspension then the base. I do a lot of road trips and enjoy the handling. Some like the softer ride.
Thanks for the input everyone....But there's a Break through in the info - It's been disturbing me what kinda parts I bought. So I looked at the Shocks - the part number (sticker) says: 24-029773 (fronts) 24-029780 (rears) - Referred as B8 - Not sure if these are HD/Sports. When I Googled a couple of websites, they recommend using these with aftermarket or stiffer springs. I'm still not surely what kind they are... Springs # 22171750 (front) 22200996 (rear) - these I can't find any info on...

Questions:
1. Since both (HD/Sports) shocks are said to deliver a better ride than OEM, HOW will my set up work: B8 shocks + Z51/Z06 springs + Z51 sway bars + Adjustable all metal end links?

I realize it will be a little stiffer and flatter ride, but that's kind of what I'm trying to achieve - which should "inspire" at higher speeds, take flatter turns, reduce the floatiness/banking, and jitters over bumps....BUT, HOPEFULLY, won't feel like I'm riding on rocks.

2. Shall I keep the OEM bushing for the Z51 sway bars to maintain some level of softness, or go with Poly bushings?

3. How about the bushings on the Bilstein shocks - should I keep the bushing that came with them (used, with 4K miles), or order just the new bushings?

4. Instead of the Moog (OEM style) end-links I am considering one of these, what's your opinion on these? -
https://steinjager.com/shop/index.ph...oduct_id=17243
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...441009&jsn=438

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=437&jsn=437 (MAYBE)

5. As for the Alignment - I am considering PDAFT Street specs (something between the Min and Max setting, if possible).

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 06-06-2018 at 05:39 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:14 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

My '08 came with some nice suspension mods so I have no reference point.

But my G meter on the dash hits 1.57 at the track! And that was on R888s. My new R888rs are notably more sticky even on the street.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:05 AM
VETYGUD
Instructor

Front suspension.

Here is a picture of my suspension setup.

This is the front: Bilstein Sport Performance shocks, Steinjager Extreme Duty chrome-moly adjustable anti-sway bar end links and the red on the left side are the anti-sway bar Prothane poly bushings.

I replaced the end links because the oem one's were loose. I went with the Steinjager because they are built heavy duty and after 15K show no wear, plus they are adjustible.

The oem bushings which needed to be replaced because they were a different size, were replaced with poly bushings. The poly bushings are quiet and do not distort like the oem rubber. You needed to use the supplied grease. My oem rubber bushings, at 18K, showed wear on the inside while the poly still look new after 15K.

I used the oem upper shock mount bushings because they still looked new and IMO were better then the one's supplied with the shocks.

The Bilstein B8 shocks are the same Sport Performance shocks that I installed. I feel you will get the best setup, ride and control with this combination.

I have had both a more aggressive alignment and a minimal street alignment and prefer the street. The street specs still keep my car on rails and it doesn't wear my Pilot SS as uneven as the more aggressive specs.

My suspension setup is very close to the Z51 suspension with the addition of better shocks, better sway bar bushings and better end links. This works for me and I like the improvement.

Last edited by VETYGUD; 06-06-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Vette_Fan (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 09:42 AM
VETYGUD
Instructor

The "Dart" effect is usually an indication for the need of an alignment. Unfortunately a corvette out of alignment will wear the tires uneven. If your tire wear is uniform then the alignment should stop the "Dart" effect.

Good luck on your upgrades and enjoy the drive.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:09 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Front suspension.

Here is a picture of my suspension setup.

This is the front: Bilstein Sport Performance shocks, Steinjager Extreme Duty chrome-moly adjustable anti-sway bar end links and the red on the left side are the anti-sway bar Prothane poly bushings.

I replaced the end links because the oem one's were loose. I went with the Steinjager because they are built heavy duty and after 15K show no wear, plus they are adjustible.

The oem bushings which needed to be replaced because they were a different size, were replaced with poly bushings. The poly bushings are quiet and do not distort like the oem rubber. You needed to use the supplied grease. My oem rubber bushings, at 18K, showed wear on the inside while the poly still look new after 15K.

I used the oem upper shock mount bushings because they still looked new and IMO were better then the one's supplied with the shocks.

The Bilstein B8 shocks are the same Sport Performance shocks that I installed. I feel you will get the best setup, ride and control with this combination.

I have had both a more aggressive alignment and a minimal street alignment and prefer the street. The street specs still keep my car on rails and it doesn't wear my Pilot SS as uneven as the more aggressive specs.

My suspension setup is very close to the Z51 suspension with the addition of better shocks, better sway bar bushings and better end links. This works for me and I like the improvement.

I Zoomed in to see the part # on your shock in the photo - it's the same number as mine. That's not HD then, I guess, right? It's the Performance Plus (sports?)

I am considering getting the same end-links as yours, although the other 2 links I posted (Moog) are a less than half the price. Hope these are worth it.

And the Z51/Z06 shocks would go well with this setup? I still don't have any confirmation about the springs I bought. But I'll change them, cuz they're not the Base for sure.

And lastly, what's the labor gonna be on this...
Old 06-06-2018, 03:28 PM
VETYGUD
Instructor

I Zoomed in to see the part # on your shock in the photo - it's the same number as mine. That's not HD then, I guess, right? It's the Performance Plus (sports?)

I am considering getting the same end-links as yours, although the other 2 links I posted (Moog) are a less than half the price. Hope these are worth it.

And the Z51/Z06 shocks would go well with this setup? I still don't have any confirmation about the springs I bought. But I'll change them, cuz they're not the Base for sure.

And lastly, what's the labor gonna be on this...
Those are the Bilstein Performance Plus/B8 shocks and that is what you want for a stiffer spring. I checked my numbers against yours and they are the same.

I wanted the adjustable end links because they will not wear out nearly as fast as the MOOG style and they can be adjusted. I should never have to replace them again. The OEM end links were loose and needed to be replaced at 18K miles.

I didn't change out my rear spring because the spring rate was not that much different than the Z51 rear spring rate. Actually the base is rated at 657 lbs. while the Z51 is less, rated at 645 lbs.

I did the labor myself except for the alignment. It is not that difficult if you can swap parts out. There are plenty of step by step instructions on CF as to how to do all of these procedures.
Vette_Fan (06-07-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 03:53 PM
bibbster
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Tuning in as this will be on my plate in the Spring most likely.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:23 PM
VETYGUD
Instructor

Originally Posted by bibbster
Tuning in as this will be on my plate in the Spring most likely.
I bought my front and rear sway bars and front spring as take offs and saved a bundle. Start looking if you are going to do this. The parts are out there.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:28 PM
bibbster
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I bought my front and rear sway bars and front spring as take offs and saved a bundle. Start looking if you are going to do this. The parts are out there.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely keep that in mind as the days get closer.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:49 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by LowRyter
I've ordered a set of B6 for my base car. Hope to have them on next week.

For sure, the biggest limitation for handling are the base cars' seats.
Got the shocks installed. I think it's a touch firmer and the rear seems more planted (as hoped). I think the rear is more controlled and get less traction control interruption going around bumpy turns.

I also noted a light clunk when making hard right turns. Would that be due to the sway bar end link being loose? Or some other cause? I have to work at it to hear it.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:41 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

I got mine as take offs also.

Those are the Bilstein Performance Plus/B8 shocks and that is what you want for a stiffer spring. I checked my numbers against yours and they are the same.

I wanted the adjustable end links because they will not wear out nearly as fast as the MOOG style and they can be adjusted. I should never have to replace them again. The OEM end links were loose and needed to be replaced at 18K miles.

I didn't change out my rear spring because the spring rate was not that much different than the Z51 rear spring rate. Actually the base is rated at 657 lbs. while the Z51 is less, rated at 645 lbs.

I did the labor myself except for the alignment. It is not that difficult if you can swap parts out. There are plenty of step by step instructions on CF as to how to do all of these procedures.
About the end-links: Do you feel any clunky sounds or resistance from them? I had the Hotchkis end-links on my C5, similar to the ones you have, with sports shocks. Eventually, the whole setup got noisy and clunky to an embarrassing point. But it was FLAT I wonder if these will remain quiet or noisy...

About the Springs: You've a valid point - if the rear base spring is stiffer than the Z51, it makes sense to stay with base. But you DID change the front to a stiffer spring, which is what I wanna do.

Question: The springs I paid for, I'm not sure if they're Z51 or Z06. If they're Z51, then I'll just change the front and keep the rear base - for the same reason you did. But if they're Z06 then wouldn't it make sense to change out both (front/rear) to the Z06 springs. Funny thing, I still don't know what I bought...

And Do you recommend Poly bushing for my Z51 sway bars, or leave the OEM bushing in there.

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 06-07-2018 at 02:01 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:42 AM
VETYGUD
Instructor

Originally Posted by LowRyter
Got the shocks installed. I think it's a touch firmer and the rear seems more planted (as hoped). I think the rear is more controlled and get less traction control interruption going around bumpy turns.

I also noted a light clunk when making hard right turns. Would that be due to the sway bar end link being loose? Or some other cause? I have to work at it to hear it.

If all you did was change out the shocks, double check the mounting locations to make sure that they are tight to the bushings otherwise you will get extra movement that could cause the "clunk". Tighter is better. I had to tighten mine up after install. If that does not get rid of your clunk check your end links for looseness in the joints.
LowRyter (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 08:41 AM
VETYGUD
Instructor

About the end-links: Do you feel any clunky sounds or resistance from them? I had the Hotchkis end-links on my C5, similar to the ones you have, with sports shocks. Eventually, the whole setup got noisy and clunky to an embarrassing point. But it was FLAT I wonder if these will remain quiet or noisy...

About the Springs: You've a valid point - if the rear base spring is stiffer than the Z51, it makes sense to stay with base. But you DID change the front to a stiffer spring, which is what I wanna do.

Question: The springs I paid for, I'm not sure if they're Z51 or Z06. If they're Z51, then I'll just change the front and keep the rear base - for the same reason you did. But if they're Z06 then wouldn't it make sense to change out both (front/rear) to the Z06 springs. Funny thing, I still don't know what I bought...

And Do you recommend Poly bushing for my Z51 sway bars, or leave the OEM bushing in there.
The Steinjager end links that I used are still as tight as new and make no noise. I have over 15K on them. The OEM end links were loose at 18K and made noise.

The difference in the rear spring rate between the base and Z51 is 12 lbs. heavier going to the base rate. When I travel and have luggage in the trunk it keeps the rear planted and controlled along with the heavier sway bar and Bilstein Performance shocks. In theory it should cause the rear end to squat less during rapid acceleration. I believe it does. My new front take off spring was listed as a C5 Z51 & Z06. After checking the casting number it appeared to be used into the C6 corvettes. It is stiffer, thicker and flatter than the OEM base front spring which stopped the front end from diving into curves and on rapid deceleration. It is a good balance with the OEM base rear spring. Check the casting number and then google it and compare with GM part numbers.

I personally would change out the sway bar bushings to poly. If you look at the OEM bushings with any miles on them they are worn. They mold a fabric into the bar contact point. The bushings purpose is to hold the bar in position and not deflect so that the bar itself will twist. The thicker the bar the harder to twist which makes it stiffer. The bushings are to insulate the bar action from the frame. OEM rubber bushings are softer and deflect more but also wear out faster. The poly does not make the ride harsher IMO.

I am no suspension expert but I do have the experience with this setup and it works very well for me. The front spring, Bilstein Performance shocks, front and rear sway bars with poly bushings and Steinjager end links cost me approximately $875.00. I got a very good suspension update for a lower cost than purchasing a new suspension kit. I do not know if this is any better then a new after market kit but it got me the results I was looking for. I incurred no labor costs except for the alignment.

Last edited by VETYGUD; 06-07-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:40 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Aftermarket end links only benefit is longevity. I usually go 35-40K miles before the OEM links need changed. I prefer the OEM for the weight savings. Other than 2500+ mile road trips and DD, my car is more set up for drags.

I bought the F55 suspension option, which uses the same springs as the base, but the front shocks compensate for most of the dive during braking and cornering.

Because the Z51 option was primarily designed for autoX, it needed a stiffer front spring to control the dive and bigger sways for the turns. What that meant to me, was Z51 sways with poly bushings was all I needed with the exception of better tires.

Just for future reference, try researching a lot more before buying stuff. The Z06 rear spring borders on dangerous overkill without wider wheels/tires.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:14 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

If all you did was change out the shocks, double check the mounting locations to make sure that they are tight to the bushings otherwise you will get extra movement that could cause the "clunk". Tighter is better. I had to tighten mine up after install. If that does not get rid of your clunk check your end links for looseness in the joints.
The left front wasn't tight. The pop sounded like it was from the left rear when I made right turns but I couldn't tell which corner when I was going over a big dip.

It seems OK, but I'll be attentive.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Most Important Mod - Suspension!

Old 06-12-2018, 01:05 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
.....The Z06 rear spring borders on dangerous overkill without wider wheels/tires.
Someone, please explain...
Old 06-12-2018, 02:16 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Someone, please explain...
Stiff rear and narrow tires with compliant front = oversteer. AKA watch your *** pass by.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:16 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Stiff rear and narrow tires with compliant front = oversteer. AKA watch your *** pass by.
Hummm...so keep the base rear spring?

Now, what's confusing / contradicting is that some have gone stiffer rear end springs/shocks and recommend it. What's the real story about this?

Quick Reply: C6 Most Important Mod - Suspension!