C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do vendors continue to ship vis USPS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 05:54 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
Actually saying that the postal service sucks is a typical comment from most people who, when pressed, cannot come up with examples of bad service. Considering how many articles of mail and number of packages they handle, the USPS does a superb job.

I owned a mail order business for 40 years and 99% of our parcels shipped through USPS. I had two "lost" packages in all that time out of hundreds of thousands. My carriers were conscientious & thoughtful and the service they provided was economical and proven.
Another great example of someone who posts but didn't read the thread. Check out my post #7, just a few above yours.

You also might want to learn how to use the "Preview" function, so your quotes aren't all screwed up.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:14 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,801 Likes on 4,234 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Bob Paris

Actually saying that the postal service sucks is a typical comment from most people who, when pressed, cannot come up with examples of bad service. Considering how many articles of mail and number of packages they handle, the USPS does a superb job.

I owned a mail order business for 40 years and 99% of our parcels shipped through USPS. I had two "lost" packages in all that time out of hundreds of thousands. My carriers were conscientious & thoughtful and the service they provided was economical and proven.
I don't know that I would say they do a superb job, I would estimate that most of what they deliver at this point in time would fall under the "junk" mail category - which they never miss a beat stuffing my mailbox with that. From personal experience compared to FedEx or UPS tracking, the USPS tracking system is far behind. I've talked to the the managers at the local Post Office, and even customer service reps when I've had to call & they've told me the tracking system is hit or miss if it gets updated. I've experienced on more than several occasions that the tracking will say " shipping label created" and that's the extent of the tracking until the package mysteriously arrives on some random day. The tracking for the package I am currently waiting for that says expected by 8 pm today, just says "in transit" with no actual location of the package. The package I purchased 3 weeks ago said "package shipped" & then never showed up. The seller issued me a full refund.

On a regular basis (once a week or so) either I or my wife receive documents that clearly state on the envelop DO NOT BEND, and sure enough, they are folded in half and shoved in my mailbox. The exact opposite occurs with FedEx (generally my wife gets 2-3 work-related packages per day) and UPS. Now I have had to talk to FedEx & UPS about their drivers speeding through my neighborhood, but the packages always arrive on time.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:28 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
While my fav is FedEx, I find USPS superior to UPS. Amazon does a lot of shipping by UPS with the final delivery done by USPS. Those are all the mail trucks you see out on Sunday.

What I like about FedEx is when I have a package that requires a signature I can go online and redirect it to a FedEx Print & Ship shop 1/2 a mile from work and pick it up there. They are open early, late & on weekends. UPS will not do that and if I miss them 3 times they hold it in a location 20 miles away with very limited hours. USPS is close by the house but they open late, close early and are open on Saturday for 2, count them, 2 freaking hours.

We do a lot of Amazon Prime and most all of it is delivered by USPS within the two day guarantee.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:01 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

In the past 15 years, I've spent about $250K on shipping, mostly through UPS, but maybe 20% was FedEx, and recently USPS for smaller items.
I've experienced some major problems with each service, but for the most part all 3 have a 99% success rate for me. The common carriers where I shipped by the pallet load seemed to be the best, since my customers who ordered in higher quantity were never in panic mode.

Quick story: At an automotive swap meet, I agreed to trade some magazines with a guy from England. I gave him mine and trusted him to mail his when he got home. Ten years later, to the month, his shipment arrived in perfect condition and date stamped within a week of our agreed exchange. No idea where they sat undisturbed for 10 years.

BTW, to the original question. For most small items, USPS flat rate beats almost anything. A couple weeks ago I shipped a 38# package to the East coast for
$13.10 in 2 days. UPS wanted over $20 for 5 day service, even with my discount.

Last edited by HOXXOH; 06-04-2018 at 11:16 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 06-04-2018, 11:08 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Ha! ^^
Old 06-05-2018, 02:07 AM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Usps always delivers early, UPS has straight up fucked me several times, once in which they refused to honor their Pack and Ship guarantee. They were extra smarmy about it, when I said I'll see you in court the rep said "sure you will, you and everyone else." Long story short they settled for $2800
Old 06-05-2018, 09:43 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 899 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
BTW, to the original question. For most small items, USPS flat rate beats almost anything. A couple weeks ago I shipped a 38# package to the East coast for
$13.10 in 2 days. UPS wanted over $20 for 5 day service, even with my discount.

Those flat rate boxes can be a great deal if you are shipping something heavy or a long ways. Not so great if it's light and short distance.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:55 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
It's just semantics, windy.

From Wiki:

Article I, Section 8, Clause 7 of the United States Constitution, known as the Postal Clause or the Postal Power, empowers Congress "To establish Post Offices and post Roads".

[Interpreted to mean:] "The Clause has been construed to give Congress the enumerated power to designate mail routes and construct or designate post offices, with the implied authority to carry, deliver, and regulate the mails of the United States as a whole."
What ??....HUH ??....Well, OK if Congress says so....LOL..
Old 06-05-2018, 11:03 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Never though I would see a thread on the Corvette Forum centered around the quality of service of the USPS! Let the good times roll.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:25 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
Never though I would see a thread on the Corvette Forum centered around the quality of service of the USPS! Let the good times roll.
Well, looks like the item for my GS I was waiting for has disappeared somewhere in transit. I’ve notified the vendor & hopefully it reappears because it was a custom part that took 5 weeks from order placement to shipment & I don’t really want to wait another 5 weeks. We shall see
Old 06-05-2018, 09:10 PM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Ask the shippers.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:05 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Amazon Prime has issues that are not always the fault of USPS.

UPS is, in most cases involving small items, the most expensive shipper of all, and they don't have many options on the cost of ground shipping. That's why a lot of people won't use them.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:42 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

The other issue with USPS is I have to wait 7 business days to ask them to attempt to locate the package even though it was supposed to be delivered yesterday & is not showing up on their tracking system.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:56 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
The mail service many of the various vendors use today is a combo UPS / USPS.

Can't remember the name of the service, but the package goes across country via UPS ... Then UPS transfers the package to your local post office (USPS), and then that USPS facility actually delivers it to your door.
That is CORRECT...When i order the tracking info will be from UPS but the USPS mail man will bring it to my door...UPS has a contract with USPS.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:12 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

After filing a tracking/locating claim with USPS, the package magically appeared at the distribution center 20 miles from my house on Sunday (a week after it was supposed to be delivered). Unfortunately, after leaving said distribution center at 12:58 am on Monday they have lost track of it again Maybe it'll show up this week?
Old 06-12-2018, 12:20 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

The one benefit that shipping USPS has that no other service can offer is if someone steals a package, it is an immediate federal offense and the Postal Inspectors become involved. I know two of these inspectors and these hombres are not somebody you want to **** with.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:20 AM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Never had a problem with USPS when purchasing items online and with USPS Informed Delivery program I can track packages even when I don't have a tracking number.

Get notified of new replies

To Why do vendors continue to ship vis USPS?

Old 06-13-2018, 11:06 AM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

I order a lot of stuff on line and have it shipped by all the typical carriers, USPS, UPS, FedEX, DHL, etc. I can't say one is any better than the others. They are all consistently good and on time usually. I live out in the boonies, too. Most of them now have GPS trackers that will show the location where a package gets delivered. Last year I ordered a pair of snake boots and UPS delivered them to a residence on the other side of Jacksonville. I worked with my vendor and UPS, and my boots were retrieved from the misdelivery location and on my doorstep, albeit two days late. Recently I had a package that USPS tracking said was delivered and it wasn't. I called, the lady checked the delivery carriers GPS device, said it was delivered to another address on my street, and they sent out a car to retrieve the package and hand delivered to my front door about an hour later. I call that good service, although delivering my stuff to the wrong address wasn't. I had FedEx tracking say they attempted delivery when I was home all day and my security cam showed no FedEx activity at my door. The package came the next day. So they all have screw ups, but considering how rarely it happens, I don't think any of them have an edge on the other. Now I do admit that USPS has the worst tracking of any of them.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:40 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

^^ Yes!

The other side of the coin...however!

Well....
One vendor in particular, when ask why so expensive to ship a few gaskets and small items that can fit in an USPS Flate Rate box....vendor said they don't use USPS FLATE RATE box ...so I said OK!

Low and behold....my order arrived in an USPS FLATE RATE small box...

Immediately called vendor, their Boss came yelling and say - "I said OK!"

Haven't deal with Cultrag ever since!!!!

Last edited by victorf; 06-14-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:37 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by victorf
^^ yes!

The other side of the coin...however!

Well....
One vendor in particular, when ask why so expensive to ship a few gaskets and small items that can fit in an usps flate rate box....vendor said they don't use usps...so i said ok!

Low and behold....my order arrived in an usps flate rate small box...

Immediately called vendor, their boss came yelling and say - "i said ok!"

haven't deal with cultag ever since!!!!
uh....huh ?????

Quick Reply: Why do vendors continue to ship vis USPS?