C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do vendors continue to ship vis USPS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 02:03 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,773 Likes on 4,221 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Default Why do vendors continue to ship vis USPS?

I've purchased quite a few items for my GS through both CF vendors & non-CF vendors, as well as lots of other items for various things. Out of the available shipping options, USPS is one of the worst, is not much cheaper, if at all, and their tracking system sucks. Last week I finally received a refund for a purchase I made a few weeks ago that just disappeared in the USPS emptiness (that one was from a vendor on Amazon that didn't offer Prime). Today I was supposed to receive an item for the GS that USPS tracking shows was supposed to be delivered today, however, their tracking also lists "in transit" but not where it is. Other parts I've ordered have taken weeks to show up via USPS with me having to contact the vendor, they contact USPS, etc. & then randomly the packages appear out of nowhere. For a business with a business account (at least for my company, and my wife's company) shipping rates through FedEx or UPS are generally cheaper than USPS & you can actually track them pretty accurately.

Anyway, just a rant as I was looking forward to receiving my item that I ordered 5 weeks ago. Maybe it'll show up tomorrow
Old 06-04-2018, 02:09 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

I don't understand it either. The postal service sucks, typical government workers.

I never have any issues whatsoever with UPS.
The following users liked this post:
95rtturbo (06-05-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 02:13 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I've never had any issues with USPS, UPS or Fedex.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:18 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

In rebuttal, I ordered a CYA Kydex holster for my .380 from Amazon on Friday about noon, they delivered it YESTERDAY, SUNDAY no less, and it was USPS Go figure
I cant complain
NSF
Old 06-04-2018, 02:20 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

I have sort of a love/hate relationship with USPS when I order something from Amazon.

I order a lot from Amazon and I am a Prime member. I would say a good 75% of the time when they ship my prime item via USPS it does not arrive within their 2 day shipping window. So on day 3 I jump on with Amazon support (chat) and let them know my item didn't arrive. At the end I usually end up with a $10 amazon credit or a free month of Prime.

I have done this so many times Amazon actually told me they would stop giving me the credits and which I argued, I pay for prime and that comes with a 2 day delivery guarantee. Can't really be a "guarantee" if there is no consequences if you miss it.

So I might be slightly annoyed on the fact an item I am expecting doesn’t arrive on time but at the same time, I am not dying for the item to arrive so I don’t mind getting $10 to wait just a little longer.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:27 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,773 Likes on 4,221 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Homer3D
I have sort of a love/hate relationship with USPS when I order something from Amazon.

I order a lot from Amazon and I am a Prime member. I would say a good 75% of the time when they ship my prime item via USPS it does not arrive within their 2 day shipping window. So on day 3 I jump on with Amazon support (chat) and let them know my item didn't arrive. At the end I usually end up with a $10 amazon credit or a free month of Prime.

I have done this so many times Amazon actually told me they would stop giving me the credits and which I argued, I pay for prime and that comes with a 2 day delivery guarantee. Can't really be a "guarantee" if there is no consequences if you miss it.

So I might be slightly annoyed on the fact an item I am expecting doesn’t arrive on time but at the same time, I am not dying for the item to arrive so I don’t mind getting $10 to wait just a little longer.
I've had this occur with Amazon Prime orders as well that show 3-5 days later. Recently had a text book I needed for my PhD program show up a week late - which didn't help me getting my paper written. Thankfully one of my classmates screen shot most of the tables/data I needed. I would say the vast majority of the time items shipped via USPS arrive late whereas I've never had anything not arrive on time via FedEx. And if there is a hiccup with FedEx, they can at least tell me where it is or what happened. USPS just says they don't know & to call them back in a week if it doesn't show up.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:40 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
In rebuttal, I ordered a CYA Kydex holster for my .380 from Amazon on Friday about noon, they delivered it YESTERDAY, SUNDAY no less, and it was USPS Go figure
I cant complain
NSF
I never had problems with USPS until recent years. Before that, I would often praise them when the subject came up.

A couple of years ago, twice, I was expecting large checks which never came. I contacted my customer who said they had sent the checks a week previously or whatever.

The mail carrier had stuck them in the pages of the Pennysaver, which I never read. A buddy of mine is a retired mailman and he said when he was working they were instructed to NOT mix first-class mail in with junk, certainly not within the pages of something like the Pennysaver.

Also: I've lived here for 36 years. I have a 350 pound concrete planter by my mailbox, with 1/2" deep, 4" high house numbers cast right into it.

Yet, twice in the past couple years, when the USPS was delivering Amazon boxes, they left them across the road in a gravel pit which doesn't even have a house, house number, or resident.

For whatever reason, who delivers Amazon boxes (usually) is not my regular mailman. But they are not being trained properly. Not surprising, considering the regressive trends throughout all facets of modern society.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:47 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Thought I heard/read somewhere that the Postal workers weren't Gov employees ??
Old 06-04-2018, 03:00 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by windyC6
Thought I heard/read somewhere that the Postal workers weren't Gov employees ??
It's just semantics, windy.

From Wiki:

Article I, Section 8, Clause 7 of the United States Constitution, known as the Postal Clause or the Postal Power, empowers Congress "To establish Post Offices and post Roads".

[Interpreted to mean:] "The Clause has been construed to give Congress the enumerated power to designate mail routes and construct or designate post offices, with the implied authority to carry, deliver, and regulate the mails of the United States as a whole."
Old 06-04-2018, 03:15 PM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,292 Likes on 1,047 Posts

[QUOTE=Bruze;1597336750]I don't understand it either. The postal service sucks, typical government workers.

Actually saying that the postal service sucks is a typical comment from most people who, when pressed, cannot come up with examples of bad service. Considering how many articles of mail and number of packages they handle, the USPS does a superb job.

I owned a mail order business for 40 years and 99% of our parcels shipped through USPS. I had two "lost" packages in all that time out of hundreds of thousands. My carriers were conscientious & thoughtful and the service they provided was economical and proven.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bob Paris:
fevest (06-05-2018), Rico7142 (06-04-2018), Rontime (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 03:35 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

I live in a pretty small town and, other then grocery, we have been doing at least 95% of all our shopping on line for the last 5 years or so. Haven't had any issues with USPS or any of the other delivery services. Worst thing that has happened is an item or two have been delivered a day or two late (per their stated 'delivery by' date) and these incidents involved FedEx and UPS.

Last edited by Welker1; 06-04-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:41 PM
DavidandJoansVette
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I have much better luck with USPS than United Parcel Service. UPS will take it upon themselves to change the address to one two blocks away. fortunately the neighbor calls me and I go pick it up.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:18 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The mail service many of the various vendors use today is a combo UPS / USPS.

Can't remember the name of the service, but the package goes across country via UPS ... Then UPS transfers the package to your local post office (USPS), and then that USPS facility actually delivers it to your door.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:20 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,765 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Interesting, because my experience is just the opposite. Sometimes, stuff is delivered by USPS on my behalf to my brother-in-law near Boston, so that he can mule it up here when he visits. Other times, I just have it sent directly to me here in Canada, where the hand-off to Canada Post takes place. Nothing to my knowledge has ever been lost, delayed, folded, spindled, or mutilated by either carrier. USPS tracking system works just fine, and it's integrated with Canada Post, so that either system can tell me where the package is, and when it was delivered. The worst experience I had was with UPS, who lost a set of car keys that I was trying to return to said brother-in-law. Actually, the keys were stolen from their Buffalo facility. Took months to get my money back. Fortunately, he drives an SB, otherwise I wouldn't have sent them at all for fear of having them stolen from an addressed package.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:39 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I've had issues with them all, so I won't call any of them out.

Nothing worse than an "Out for Delivery" notification and a package never arrives...
Old 06-04-2018, 04:58 PM
Rico7142
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 340 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Personally never had a "bad" experience with USPS / FED EX, or UPS.

I did ship some wheels once and all but one arrived in perfect condition to the buyer. The one box looked like it had been thrown around. We both filed a claimed against UPS with negative results .
Old 06-04-2018, 05:00 PM
Racer1735
Pro

Received 209 Likes on 100 Posts

I give a 'thumbs-up' to USPS...I ordered a set of spark plugs for my C6 Vette on Friday, June 1. They were shipped from Los Angeles, and arrived in my Texas mailbox today (Monday, June 4). I can't say anything negative about that service!

Get notified of new replies

To Why do vendors continue to ship vis USPS?

Old 06-04-2018, 05:03 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Government workers or not, never had an issue with USPS. And I too have recieived items on Sunday from them.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:10 PM
Chevyrelic
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
I've never had any issues with USPS, UPS or Fedex.
However, the idiots that deliver for Amazon here are another story. I’ve had so many packages delivered to my house in error that I called them up (or rather had them call me) and told them I was keeping anything that was delivered to my house for me or not. So far, their delivery people haven’t messed up...but I believe it’s just a matter of time before I get some free stuff...
Old 06-04-2018, 05:13 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 895 Likes on 583 Posts

While my fav is FedEx, I find USPS superior to UPS. Amazon does a lot of shipping by UPS with the final delivery done by USPS. Those are all the mail trucks you see out on Sunday.

What I like about FedEx is when I have a package that requires a signature I can go online and redirect it to a FedEx Print & Ship shop 1/2 a mile from work and pick it up there. They are open early, late & on weekends. UPS will not do that and if I miss them 3 times they hold it in a location 20 miles away with very limited hours. USPS is close by the house but they open late, close early and are open on Saturday for 2, count them, 2 freaking hours.

Quick Reply: Why do vendors continue to ship vis USPS?