C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirius/XM $99.00 for 3 years (yes, 3 yrs@$99.00)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 03:57 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
I put a aftermarket Pioneer nav unit w/xm in one of my work vehicles a few years ago and can't remember where the anttena was located but the price was around $8-900 installed. The factory XM anttena is in some strange places that can't be seen.
The mirrors from what I understand.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:21 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by cadyshac
I tried online chat with them to get 3 years/$99 but no dice. They offered 1 year at $99 I said no thanks.

I got the offer in the mail for 1 year at $99 for my Corvette. My wife likes the two months she is getting free, so she wants the 3 year deal. I can't get her the 1 year deal I'm getting using their website. It is specifically for the Corvette. I may have to call, but I am waiting to see if I can get the 3 year deal for her first.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:27 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by ByRiver
I got the offer in the mail for 1 year at $99 for my Corvette. My wife likes the two months she is getting free, so she wants the 3 year deal. I can't get her the 1 year deal I'm getting using their website. It is specifically for the Corvette. I may have to call, but I am waiting to see if I can get the 3 year deal for her first.
I tried to go back and activate the 3 year deal and it was changed to one year for me too. Wonder why
Old 06-11-2018, 04:29 PM
bibbster
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Oh yay. Three Christian channels and two of them are Gospel. Not a good deal for me, but thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:10 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by ByRiver
I tried XM, but they just repeat the same songs over and over. You will hear the same song a couple times a day, and hear it practically everyday. I saw no value in it so I put 8G of music on a 16 Gb thumb drive, and never hear the same song twice over a couple months.

I have XM for about 6 months now, and the thing I find most annoying is besides repeat songs, lot of chatter, and trivia between songs. It's almost like listening to commercial radio, especially during the weekends!
The following users liked this post:
ByRiver (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 10:04 PM
samzvetc6
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 109 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

They offered me 5 years for $149.99. I did it on my 06 and then sold it 4 months later. They gave me most of my money back. Now I'm waiting for them to give me the same offer on my 11.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:31 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by samzvetc6
They offered me 5 years for $149.99. I did it on my 06 and then sold it 4 months later. They gave me most of my money back. Now I'm waiting for them to give me the same offer on my 11.
That’s a heck of a deal if you keep your car that long.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:07 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 896 Likes on 583 Posts

I agree that each channel has a limited play list, if you listen all day to one channel it gets old. However, with 140 channels, even if you detest 75% of them, there is enough variety to keep me happy. I do keep a thumb drive with 64 GB of MP3's which is a LOT of music but the damn factory head unit keeps loosing track of it and I have to remove & reinstall it and it starts over at track one every time! The user interface is so GD slow and pathetic it takes all day to scroll down halfway through all those albums. I've also burned a couple of CD's with MP3's. You can get 5 or 6 albums worth on music on one CD that way and my head unit never gets confused with them. Lots of options but I'll still probably replace the head unit with aftermarket one of these days just to get a better NAV system.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:44 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
I agree that each channel has a limited play list, if you listen all day to one channel it gets old. However, with 140 channels, even if you detest 75% of them, there is enough variety to keep me happy. I do keep a thumb drive with 64 GB of MP3's which is a LOT of music but the damn factory head unit keeps loosing track of it and I have to remove & reinstall it and it starts over at track one every time! The user interface is so GD slow and pathetic it takes all day to scroll down halfway through all those albums. I've also burned a couple of CD's with MP3's. You can get 5 or 6 albums worth on music on one CD that way and my head unit never gets confused with them. Lots of options but I'll still probably replace the head unit with aftermarket one of these days just to get a better NAV system.
So clearly replacing the headunit and probably the whole Corvette factory sound system is the solution.
Especially in my case since I have a 2005 and want satellite music now. I have the the base stereo with no name speakers that don't have the "BOSE" lettering across the front door speakers like the majority of C-6 corvettes from that time. At that time I didn't want any navigation incorporated into the factory head unit.

Last edited by LS WON; 06-12-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:43 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LS WON
So clearly replacing the headunit and probably the whole Corvette factory sound system is the solution.
Especially in my case since I have a 2005 and want satellite music now. I have the the base stereo with no name speakers that don't have the "BOSE" lettering across the front door speakers like the majority of C-6 corvettes from that time. At that time I didn't want any navigation incorporated into the factory head unit.
Your speakers won't matter. You can upgrade to any radio you wish and while you won't get theater sound quality (which I can't tell the diff between one set of speakers and another) my personal opinion is you'd love it.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:58 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Your speakers won't matter. You can upgrade to any radio you wish and while you won't get theater sound quality (which I can't tell the diff between one set of speakers and another) my personal opinion is you'd love it.
I remember the last time I got an estimate to upgrade the whole factory system in Corvette, headunit and speakers with no satellite radio was over $2,000+ so nevermind I said. It isn't worth it to me
Old 06-12-2018, 08:15 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I remember the last time I got an estimate to upgrade the whole factory system in Corvette, headunit and speakers with no satellite radio was over $2,000+ so nevermind I said. It isn't worth it to me
That’s overkill. You can get by with the speakers you have and just drop in a new radio but it’ll still cost a bit. I’d be totally lost without my xm...addictive.
LS WON (06-14-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 08:55 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

That’s overkill. You can get by with the speakers you have and just drop in a new radio but it’ll still cost a bit. I’d be totally lost without my xm...addictive.
Thanks for your input

To me the current system sounds horrible but of course it isn't top of the line even in what Chevrolet offered at the time in 2005 for options.

I thought replacing all 4 speakers (I was told don't replace the one on top of dash - won't make a difference) would improve the quality of sound.

But if it doesn't cost a fortune perhaps replacing just the headunit might be fine that's if I can tell the difference in sound.

The problem could be these stereo shops charge a "Corvette Tax" on anything Corvette releated. which makes it appear to be much more expensive than necessary
Old 06-13-2018, 09:55 AM
JacksAO
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for your input

To me the current system sounds horrible but of course it isn't top of the line even in what Chevrolet offered at the time in 2005 for options.

I thought replacing all 4 speakers (I was told don't replace the one on top of dash - won't make a difference) would improve the quality of sound.

But if it doesn't cost a fortune perhaps replacing just the headunit might be fine that's if I can tell the difference in sound.

The problem could be these stereo shops charge a "Corvette Tax" on anything Corvette releated. which makes it appear to be much more expensive than necessary
Try installing some sound insulation on the interior of the door skins and on the door braces where it wouldn’t interfere with the door panels. I did this to my 2006 and it made quite a difference. It’s easy to do, cheap and only took one afternoon to do.
LS WON (06-14-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 10:09 AM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The latest mail I received from them doesn't make sense in the normal marketing of things. $30.00 for 6 months or $99.00 for a year. What motivation do I have to buy more at 1.5 times the cost?

My renewal comes up next month.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:32 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default I went to get an estimate on Corvette and on another car I have

Got an estimate today for just the headunit which is a Sony 5200 with XM added. It comes with Bluetooth, plug for MP-3 and satellite antenna for a total of $900.

He suggested that I not improve the speakers on Corvette yet because of cost and to first see if I like the sound of the xm that way.

He told me the sound and reception of the FM stereo will not improve on the new Sony headunit just because of the location of the the antenna is located in the rear tail light area.

The Sony 5200 will improve the quality of sound with XM just because of the source.

If i did replace the 4 speakers he said I would loose all bass as the speakers in door panels provide for that BASS and so that a subwoofer would be needed for bass which would have to be installed in the hatch.
I do not want to loose any space back there in the cargo hatch area for obvious reasons and this too adds about another $1,000 dollars same thing with the rearview camera. So after a few thousand dollars later after it all adds up, it would appear to be more prudent to start just with the replacement of the headunit with hopes of better sound, music selection and more important: NO MORE COMMERCIALS

So just to add XM radio, mp-3 jack, detachable anti-theft plate face of stereo it would be about $900.

If I wanted a different head unit to add rear view camera for backing that adds more $$ as well as navigation. As he told me It's a 2005 Corvette and it was made for driving not for sound acoutics.

After thinking about that for my 2005, I do not want to spend that kind of money on it even thought it's in excellent condition.
I might be ok just with the headunit replacement with that Sony 5200 with XM. Just note it wouldn't be fully loaded with rear cam but I have been without a rear cam for 13 years now so no big deal.
For navigation I just use an add on window suction cup for Tom Tom or Garmin GPS for navigation.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:13 AM
LV Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I bought my 06 Z last October and it had a Kenwood DNX9990HD unit with everything under the sun. GPS, rear camera, SiriusXM, Pandora and a bunch of other stuff, I’ve yet to figure out. It also came with new speakers and friends say the sound is fantastic. Unfortunately for me, my hearing is less than perfect and wear hearing aids, but it still sounds fine to me. Just thought I’d throw that in. As for SiriusXM radio, you definitely can negotiate with them. Just get one of their short term inexpensive deals, keep track of when it is due to expire, and call them to renew. They will quote you so ridiculous price, so just tell them that’s too much and wish to just cancel. At that point, they will start to deal with you. Even if you don’t work out a satisfactory deal, just cancel. You will hear back from them in a day or two to try and get you back. That’s when you will get what you want. We’ve had them for years and are still paying the introductory price we started with from years ago. Realize, that most subscribers are paying the full pop, so if they can get you to subscribe, even at a much lower price, it is pure profit for them.
Good luck and have fun bargaining with them.
LS WON (06-14-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Sirius/XM $99.00 for 3 years (yes, 3 yrs@$99.00)

Old 06-14-2018, 08:42 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Got an estimate today for just the headunit which is a Sony 5200 with XM added. It comes with Bluetooth, plug for MP-3 and satellite antenna for a total of $900.

He suggested that I not improve the speakers on Corvette yet because of cost and to first see if I like the sound of the xm that way.

He told me the sound and reception of the FM stereo will not improve on the new Sony headunit just because of the location of the the antenna is located in the rear tail light area.

The Sony 5200 will improve the quality of sound with XM just because of the source.

If i did replace the 4 speakers he said I would loose all bass as the speakers in door panels provide for that BASS and so that a subwoofer would be needed for bass which would have to be installed in the hatch.
I do not want to loose any space back there in the cargo hatch area for obvious reasons and this too adds about another $1,000 dollars same thing with the rearview camera. So after a few thousand dollars later after it all adds up, it would appear to be more prudent to start just with the replacement of the headunit with hopes of better sound, music selection and more important: NO MORE COMMERCIALS

So just to add XM radio, mp-3 jack, detachable anti-theft plate face of stereo it would be about $900.

If I wanted a different head unit to add rear view camera for backing that adds more $$ as well as navigation. As he told me It's a 2005 Corvette and it was made for driving not for sound acoutics.

After thinking about that for my 2005, I do not want to spend that kind of money on it even thought it's in excellent condition.
I might be ok just with the headunit replacement with that Sony 5200 with XM. Just note it wouldn't be fully loaded with rear cam but I have been without a rear cam for 13 years now so no big deal.
For navigation I just use an add on window suction cup for Tom Tom or Garmin GPS for navigation.
I’ve got back cameras and sensors on everything I own except the Corvette and to be honest I seldom use any of them with the exception of my tow vehicle. While it can be helpful I don’t feel it totally necessary to have, simply a convenience to be used seldom. Good luck with your direction choice.
LS WON (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 03:13 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

You could get a stand alone XM tuner and run it through an aux input. I don't know it the stock 05 stereo has one, but you can easily add it using this.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_607FMD...t-Adapter.html
I have been using a tuner like this for years.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_220SXE...-Onyx-EZR.html
If you have even basic skills the instillation is very easy, and if you do buy from Crutchfield their customer support is great. The only downside is finding a spot to mount the tuner, but if you are using a suction cup GPS mount you should be fine.
LS WON (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 11:29 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Yes as mentioned before $900 for replacing the headunit with GPS antenna included.

It makes more sense to me know of what sales person told me that Corvettes were made for driving and not for listening to music.

Quick Reply: Sirius/XM $99.00 for 3 years (yes, 3 yrs@$99.00)