C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS relearn issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 11:13 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
I took my car to one of the member's house and he used his tool to check my sensors. The new one is not able to be read but the other ones are.

Could it be possible you need a special tool to read it? This is the one that I bought:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.tpms.com/20076_Schrader_..._T_p/20076.htm

These are the sensors that were installed on your 2007 at the factory. I ordered mine from this supplier. I did a lot of research before I bought mine and one comment that I read was to avoid programmable clones because they tend to be problematic.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:28 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Thanks for the link and info - do you know if I went to the dealer if they would be selling the same part branded under AC Delco (that website is American)?

Originally Posted by Icecap
https://www.tpms.com/20076_Schrader_..._T_p/20076.htm

These are the sensors that were installed on your 2007 at the factory. I ordered mine from this supplier. I did a lot of research before I bought mine and one comment that I read was to avoid programmable clones because they tend to be problematic.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:29 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by saplumr
I learned early on with my car there are at least 2 different tpm’s that we’re used for my year. I have several different wheels I change to and always were asked for the vin to be sure of correct part.
Did you buy from a dealer?
Old 06-10-2018, 09:17 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Did you buy from a dealer?
Yes. I usually ordered them from forum vendor Gene Culley
The following users liked this post:
Mad*Max (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 01:08 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Thanks for the link and info - do you know if I went to the dealer if they would be selling the same part branded under AC Delco (that website is American)?

The Schrader website list them as being original equipment and they probably are rebranded AC Delco since AC Delco doesn't manufacture TPM sensors. I purchased mine from TPMS since the pricing was right and I have a mailing address in the US so shipping was free.

One useful bit of information I read is that someone had purchased an OEM sensor from a dealer and noticed by the date of manufacture code that it was already 8 years old. If their average life expectancy is 10 years that is already off to a bad start.

There are 2 numbered circles molded into the plastic that indicate month and year of manufacture. The ones that I purchased from TPMS.com were manufactured in October of 2016.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:31 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by Icecap
The Schrader website list them as being original equipment and they probably are rebranded AC Delco since AC Delco doesn't manufacture TPM sensors. I purchased mine from TPMS since the pricing was right and I have a mailing address in the US so shipping was free.

One useful bit of information I read is that someone had purchased an OEM sensor from a dealer and noticed by the date of manufacture code that it was already 8 years old. If their average life expectancy is 10 years that is already off to a bad start.

There are 2 numbered circles molded into the plastic that indicate month and year of manufacture. The ones that I purchased from TPMS.com were manufactured in October of 2016.
thanks - this is my project tomorrow when shops open up - it is really stressing me out because I have runflats and I won't know if I have a flat
Icecap (06-10-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 07:04 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

So I found a shop that has the Dorman programming tool but he tried and told me the sensor is "dead." Amazon is sending me a replacement but I will be out the labour as it could have easily been swapped at no charge when I replaced my tires.

I am not even holding my breath that the replacement is going to work. The ones at the dealer here are about $140.

Amazon has an AC Delco listed for $74 - does anybody know if should have any issues with this one?

Amazon Amazon
Old 06-11-2018, 07:20 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

So I found a shop that has the Dorman programming tool but he tried and told me the sensor is "dead." Amazon is sending me a replacement but I will be out the labour as it could have easily been swapped at no charge when I replaced my tires.

I am not even holding my breath that the replacement is going to work. The ones at the dealer here are about $140.

Amazon has an AC Delco listed for $74 - does anybody know if should have any issues with this one?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...K6Y9EEQB&psc=1
If you can’t verify by VIN it’s always a crap shot.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:38 PM
Plan C
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I just went on Amazon and bought the one that fit my 07. The link you provided does not fit my 07 according to Amazon.

I even went on Dorman's website prior to buying and it says it will fit my 07.

I do not have a lot of knowledge when it comes to TPMS - my first experience changing one.

Could a bigger tire shop have a tool that might read the Dorman sensor that my small shop and Forum member might not have?
Mad*Max, a larger shop would very likely have a tool to activate your Dorman sensor. I believe that is a "cloneable" sensor which must be programmed for your specific application - it "fits" many wheels but must be programmed for your specific car. These are very common in retail shops to minimize the number of sensors they have to stock.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:41 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by Plan C
Mad*Max, a larger shop would very likely have a tool to activate your Dorman sensor. I believe that is a "cloneable" sensor which must be programmed for your specific application - it "fits" many wheels but must be programmed for your specific car. These are very common in retail shops to minimize the number of sensors they have to stock.
So the chances are that the replacement from Amazon will still need to be cloned by a big shop?
Old 06-11-2018, 07:42 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

If you can’t verify by VIN it’s always a crap shot.
Dealing with Amazon is like dealing with a robot (which I am beginning to realize more and more) so that won't be possible...
Old 06-11-2018, 07:48 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Dealing with Amazon is like dealing with a robot (which I am beginning to realize more and more) so that won't be possible...
Here’s what I would do before you install another tpm that won’t work, I’d go through the learn process before you install it this time. If it programs, install it. If not, plan B, use your VIN through a dealer.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:49 PM
Plan C
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

So the chances are that the replacement from Amazon will still need to be cloned by a big shop?
When I replied previously I had missed the fact that you found someone with a Dorman programmer. If the Sensor is good, he should be able to program it and it will be good to go. My understanding is that they can pull the info from your original sensor, or from your car, and clone the original such that the re-learn procedure isn't even necessary. Best of luck!
Old 06-11-2018, 07:53 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by Plan C
When I replied previously I had missed the fact that you found someone with a Dorman programmer. If the Sensor is good, he should be able to program it and it will be good to go. My understanding is that they can pull the info from your original sensor, or from your car, and clone the original such that the re-learn procedure isn't even necessary. Best of luck!
Thanks - the store I found wanted $60 to relearn the sensors (which I agreed to) for something that literally takes less than 5 minutes
Old 06-11-2018, 07:54 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Here’s what I would do before you install another tpm that won’t work, I’d go through the learn process before you install it this time. If it programs, install it. If not, plan B, use your VIN through a dealer.
good idea!
Old 06-11-2018, 07:57 PM
Plan C
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

For what it's worth, I recently replaces all of the sensors on my 07 with Schrader OE TPMS from forum vendor Bob at HOUSE OF WHEELS? They were fresh, priced right, and shipped quickly.
Mad*Max (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 08:01 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks - the store I found wanted $60 to relearn the sensors (which I agreed to) for something that literally takes less than 5 minutes
Cheaper to buy the tool. It can be be used on all types of monitors. I constantly switch wheels on vehicles so the tool is priceless.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS relearn issue

Old 06-11-2018, 08:06 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Cheaper to buy the tool. It can be be used on all types of monitors. I constantly switch wheels on vehicles so the tool is priceless.
The Dorman tool is quite expensive like a few hundred dollars unfortunately.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:15 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

The Dorman tool is quite expensive like a few hundred dollars unfortunately.
Mine is a OTC Tips and wasn’t overly high priced a few years ago but I was shocked at what the cost is now. There are cheaper ones but not sure how they perform.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:02 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Mine is a OTC Tips and wasn’t overly high priced a few years ago but I was shocked at what the cost is now. There are cheaper ones but not sure how they perform.
Do you think a non-Dorman might also program it? The guy at the big store said that they are all basically the same (he even mentioned Schrader).

Quick Reply: TPMS relearn issue