C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

172 pt inspection

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 11:37 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by saplumr
I’m not the man. You seem to know an awful lot so just tell me where I’m wrong and all will be right

I just need to apologize for the petty bickering on my part. It’s childish on my part.
Okay, I agree about the bickering too.

And this is all moot since the OP has purchased the car, but maybe it will help someone else looking for a CPO car.

But, words do matter, whether it's the dealer who said "It doesn’t qualify for the Certified program" or you who said "The car is to old to qualify as CPO." Assuming the car is as nice as one would expect a 2013 vette with 6000 miles to be, the dealer was lying. And we know you were incorrect, as you can see from the gm certified website. If the dealer said "It doesn't make any sense to certify it." or if you said "Many dealers wouldn't CPO most 2013's." then that would be different and correct.

Here are the facts: http://www.gmcertified.com/certified-benefits https://www.gmcertified.com/PDFs/Cer...st_02_2016.pdf

Now opinion based on facts and experience: The whole CPO deal is a feel good thing for the most part. When we took a car in on trade, the goal was to make it clean, sell it fast and for maximum profit, but also to make it safe. That meant replacing brakes if they were under 50% wear remaining and tires if they were needed. Past that, very little reconditioning as it cut into profit. Then there's the balance between certifying or not. As you can see from the checklist, any clean trade in should pass with very little out of pocket. So there's the question, should we, the dealer pay $300+/- to GM (it's been a few years and I think it's gone up slightly), and mark it up $1000 or more, or just sell the thing as-is, maybe with a little remaining factory warranty? How does the price compare to the hundreds of nearly identical cars at 25 other GM dealers within a one hour drive? Will that extra $1000 put it higher than others in the area and no one will call on it? Can we try to upsell an extended warranty and make more money when the buyer settles on the car instead of the CPO BS? You need to realize that a lot of car sales people and managers especially, are not car people. A car is just a commodity to them, like a piano or a pound of bananas.

Edit: This is the way a large dealer with a good reputation and a long history did things. Sleazy ******** who lose their franchises might have a different approach.

The bottom line is, well, the bottom line. If a dealer thinks he can maximize profits by selling CPO, he will. And it's easy for any car that's hasn't been abused. We also wholesaled out nearly every car with over 100k miles because we didn't want to deal with the headaches.

There was even a member here who talked a dealer into certifying a car he was buying just to get the year of warranty. He paid the certification fee and, I'd guess, the extra couple bucks for the steps the technician had to go through on the hallowed 172 point list.

I'm sure I forgot some stuff and will edit later, but I'm getting bored with this long story, just like a lot of you probably are.

Last edited by 919cw313; 06-11-2018 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:48 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by 919cw313
Okay, I agree about the bickering too.

And this is all moot since the OP has purchased the car, but maybe it will help someone else looking for a CPO car.

But, words do matter, whether it's the dealer who said "It doesn’t qualify for the Certified program" or you who said "The car is to old to qualify as CPO." Assuming the car is as nice as one would expect a 2013 vette with 6000 miles to be, the dealer was lying. And we know you were incorrect, as you can see from the gm certified website.

Here are the facts: http://www.gmcertified.com/certified-benefits https://www.gmcertified.com/PDFs/Cer...st_02_2016.pdf

Now opinion based on facts and experience: The whole CPO deal is a feel good thing for the most part. When we took a car in on trade, the goal was to make it clean, sell it fast and for maximum profit, but also to make it safe. That meant replacing brakes if they were under 50% wear remaining and tires if they were needed. Past that, very little reconditioning as it cut into profit. Then there's the balance between certifying or not. As you can see from the checklist, any clean trade in should pass with very little out of pocket. So there's the question, should we, the dealer pay $300+/- to GM (it's been a few years and I think it's gone up slightly), and mark it up $1000 or more, or just sell the thing as-is, maybe with a little remaining factory warranty? How does the price compare to the hundreds of nearly identical cars at 25 other GM dealers within a one hour drive? Will that extra $1000 put it higher than others in the area and no one will call on it? Can we try to upsell an extended warranty and make more money when the buyer settles on the car instead of the CPO BS? You need to realize that a lot of car sales people and managers especially, are not car people. A car is just a commodity to them, like a piano or a pound of bananas.

The bottom line is, well, the bottom line. If a dealer thinks he can maximize profits by selling CPO, he will. And it's easy for any car that's hasn't been abused.

There was even a member here who talked a dealer into certifying a car he was buying just to get the year of warranty. He paid the certification fee and, I'd guess, the extra couple bucks for the steps the technician had to go through on the hallowed 172 point list.

I probably forgot some stuff and will edit later, but I'm getting bored with this long story, just like a lot of you.
This was my point from the beginning, it’s a dealers choice to certify or not. Nothing is mandatory or set in stone.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:01 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
with all the above. OP, you have to get more informed and not just "listen and agree" with what sales staff is telling you. The car, in years' old and mileage is within CPO. You also need to get more informed about GM-sponsored "extended warranty" programs before you buy anything!!!! ANY EXTENDED WARRANTY. Period. Not trying to be harsh but you need to do work. Go to GM's website. Find the CPO program. Find the qualifications (what it takes for a car to become one/sold as one). Good luck.
Don't be fooled into thinking a low mileage car doesn't have problems. Maybe the problems are why he/she didn't drive it much.

172 point inspection is a joke, check tire tread and pressure, there is 8 steps right there. Why can't it be certified is the main question. Is there a buyback on it? Run a car fax and check the dealer's history. Does it have the original tires, if so they are pitiful to begin with but probably worst after years of sitting around looking pretty. Don't rush into buying the car. Soda can blowing up is not a big deal, probably someone put soda in the trunk and the exhaust system heated things up a bit. Leave it in the cup holder and it'll heat up nicely also.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:34 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
It could take 1 minute or a few hours. Chances are it will be much closer to 1 minute.
Item #173 is usually what breaks...
Old 06-12-2018, 10:39 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim2013
I looked at GM’s site and it is certifiable. I am not sure why I was told it was not unless they wanted to sell a more expensive warranty. Tim
Tim, it is probably a fine car, with nothing to worry about. That should not stop you from getting a VIS report from the dealer, and purchasing a carfax. Look the car over very closely. If you find anything that concerns you, talk it over with the dealer. You have a weak out....the fact that the dealer lied about the unavailable CPO could work in your favor if something is not right with the car.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:35 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

Just wanted to say congratulations on the purchase. I always wanted a Corvette but could never afford a decent one until I was about the same age as you. I first bought a low mileage C4 but it was showing it's age over time. Last winter I moved up to a 5,000 miles C6 and it's been wonderful thus far. I wish you the best with yours. It should be a beauty!
Old 06-13-2018, 07:50 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

According to the site link posted car has to be w/in 5 MY to CPO. Since we’re in MY6 with the C7 how can a C6 qualify?
  • Are a Chevrolet, Buick, or GMC
  • Be within current plus-5 model years
  • Be within a maximum of 75,000 vehicle miles

Quick Reply: 172 pt inspection