C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are C7 snobs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 09:30 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

FWIW: I remember in the '60s when MG owners waved to each other, all motorcycles waved to each other, and all Vettes waved to each other.

Today, MGs are forgotten about, Harley riders only wave to other Harley riders, Jappers (I'm assuming) wave to each other, and some of us old guys who have Vettes wave to other Vettes, no matter what year they are -- because that's the way it used to be.

As others have noted, newer "gearheads" don't know about the old days so they don't wave. They might be young and just not know, or they can be old but just bought their first Corvette, so they also don't know.

Attachment 48333511

Attachment 48333445
The following users liked this post:
Ericm1949 (06-21-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 09:36 PM
94Green
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 52 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
Default Thats too bad, you should of

Originally Posted by US Icon
I wave to every Vette I see. Always have, always will. I have had other Vette owners not wave, but never considered starting a thread to bash the generation of Vette they were driving.

The internet is more brutal than the highways, bwahaha.
Yeah, but not once in a hundred waves has anyone acknowledged me, definitely thread worthy.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:38 PM
94Green
Racer

Default Could be a California thing

Originally Posted by Atomic6
I sure have had my share of waves from C7 owners, even when I had my 1996 C4. No problems with Corvette owners at all.
When I had an air cooled 1996 911 I ran into this snobbery but it was geographic for some reason. The Atlanta Porsche owners were the nicest most welcoming owners I have ever encountered. I won trophies at their shows and the help they offered was unreal. Right here in NC, mostly the Asheville area, they snubbed their noses at us. Not all of course, but some barely would speak to us at some events. I don't have the slightest idea why to this day.
California probably has a lot to do with it
Old 06-10-2018, 09:39 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
FWIW: I remember in the '60s when MG owners waved to each other, all motorcycles waved to each other, and all Vettes waved to each other.

Today, MGs are forgotten about, Harley riders only wave to other Harley riders, Jappers (I'm assuming) wave to each other, and some of us old guys who have Vettes wave to other Vettes, no matter what year they are -- because that's the way it used to be.

As others have noted, newer "gearheads" don't know about the old days so they don't wave. They might be young and just not know, or they can be old but just bought their first Corvette, so they also don't know.

I must live in a mostly decent town. All the Harley riders I know wave at any bike/rider. I've ridden some club rides with 100's of other bikes and they all waved at oncoming riders no matter the make. The only ones that don't wave are the 1% or want to be 1% but I've only seen that once or twice over the years.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:41 PM
94Green
Racer

Default Blame it on California

Originally Posted by airmed2
The car doesn't make the snob, the snob is a product of his/her environment.
In this case the environment is California, being from the midwest until recently, that's probably what I'm noticing, a california thing, not a vette thing.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:42 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Green
Yeah, but not once in a hundred waves has anyone acknowledged me, definitely thread worthy.
With the way windows are tinted nowadays is it possible you’ve simply missed seeing them wave? Sometimes it’s difficult at best to really see.

Last edited by saplumr; 06-10-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:46 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by saplumr
With the way windows are tinted nowadays is it possible you’ve simply missed seeing them wave? Sometimes it’s difficult at best to really see.
That is reality.

Aside from "Vetting," I see people I know all the time -- especially when I'm out walking -- who wave, but because I can't really "see" them I don't wave back.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:53 PM
BLEKVET
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 150 Posts

My ‘08 had a max-effort cam, headers, heads, intake, etc. it was LOUD and obnoxious. Loved it. Cruising the curves of the Ozarks, bikers would always “wave” to me in their passive, “low lay” of arm and hand - the classic biker “wave”. This, of course, because they thought it was a Harley making the corner, not a Vette. It was way cool. Later, at the “ Biker Bar” the purists would always grant acceptance of the “Harley Edition” Vette.

These guys “got it.” If in a Vette, and don’t wave, “WOW”. You might never “Get It.”

PS, I wave to all cool cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by BLEKVET:
94Green (06-11-2018), iw172 (06-11-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 10:01 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Green
In this case the environment is California, being from the midwest until recently, that's probably what I'm noticing, a california thing, not a vette thing.
I get waves from all gens, and as a hardcore gear head I give thumbs up to any car that I think is cool. Mustangs, Camaros, Evos, Subies, Ferraris, Lambos etc. Some of my friends were the dudes at shows that were called snobs by other attendees and the first time I met knew them not beyond a hand shake and tossed me the keys to their GTR, Scud, Massi etc. To drive.

You don't know the person and you aren't entitled to a wave either. I only hear one snob here.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:07 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane
I get waves from all gens, and as a hardcore gear head I give thumbs up to any car that I think is cool. Mustangs, Camaros, Evos, Subies, Ferraris, Lambos etc. Some of my friends were the dudes at shows that were called snobs by other attendees and the first time I met knew them not beyond a hand shake and tossed me the keys to their GTR, Scud, Massi etc. To drive.
y
You don't know the person and you aren't entitled to a wave either. I only hear one snob here.
I can bet the farm you’ll never get a wave back from a mustang owner...they’re a different breed for the most part.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:08 PM
Old Ben
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts
2017 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jshot00
I think it is because they wish they ad kept their C6!!
Exactly.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:19 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by ErikR
They're embarrassed because of their tail lights... and compensating.
The wife and I were out in the vette this morning behind a 6 car lineup. She says that she thinks the first car is a C7 Corvette. It's looks like a C7, but I wasn't sure. After a couple of miles we caught up, and guess what? It was a Camaro convertible!
Bruze (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 10:24 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

I can bet the farm you’ll never get a wave back from a mustang owner...they’re a different breed for the most part.
You got the deed to that farm?

I had vette guys wave all the time, along with other brand owners. For the most part the only exceptionally annoying ones were Mopar owners, but typically the heavily modded ones had cool owners too.

I still have many friends who are Mustang owners and they're just as interested in my work with my C6 as they were with my past Mustangs. My area is a hot rod town, all the gear heads go to the same auto parts store. Seems a lot here are forgetting that Hot Rod culture started in Socal.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:30 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by marinablu67
The wife and I were out in the vette this morning behind a 6 car lineup. She says that she thinks the first car is a C7 Corvette. It's looks like a C7, but I wasn't sure. After a couple of miles we caught up, and guess what? It was a Camaro convertible!
Funny you should say that. I waved at a Camaro the other day, from a distance, thinking it was a C7...a major problem for me with the C7. The C6 does not look like ANY Camaro ever made.
marinablu67 (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 10:38 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane
You got the deed to that farm?

I had vette guys wave all the time, along with other brand owners. For the most part the only exceptionally annoying ones were Mopar owners, but typically the heavily modded ones had cool owners too.

I still have many friends who are Mustang owners and they're just as interested in my work with my C6 as they were with my past Mustangs. My area is a hot rod town, all the gear heads go to the same auto parts store. Seems a lot here
are forgetting that Hot Rod culture started in Socal.
Being the friendly polite driver I am I let a mustang driver pull out of a side street today and what I didn’t get was a thank you, a nod, a extended middle finger... nothing.

Last edited by saplumr; 06-10-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:41 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by marinablu67
From the rear, it's easy to mistake. From the front? WTF, the newer Camaros look like the ten-ton behemoths that they are. Looks "heavy" -- which it is.

What a Camaro should look like:

Attachment 48349402
Old 06-10-2018, 10:44 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

I'll take that bet. There's a guy in my town that has a nice looking & sounding 2011 Mustang GT. We've crossed paths a few times, the first time was while driving my Corvette and it kind of surprised me when he waved; I smiled & waved back. We've crossed several times since while I've been driving either my Corvette or Camaro and he waves every time. Finally ran into him one day a few months ago at the pumps and we got to talking; although he's definitely a diehard Ford/Mustang fan, he's a car guy like many of us who appreciates nice cars and waves to other drivers of such … regardless of make or model.

Last edited by Welker1; 06-10-2018 at 10:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Why are C7 snobs?

Old 06-10-2018, 10:56 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Welker1
I'll take that bet. There's a guy in my town that has a nice looking & sounding 2011 Mustang GT. We've crossed paths a few times, the first time was while driving my Corvette and it kind of surprised me when he waved; I smiled & waved back. We've crossed several times since while I've been driving either my Corvette or Camaro and he waves every time. Finally ran into him one day a few months ago at the pumps and we got to talking; although he's definitely a diehard Ford/Mustang fan, he's a car guy like many of us who appreciates nice cars and waves to other drivers of such … regardless of make or model.
There are good and bad in everything. My son in law drives a GT and have friends with Shelby’s but as a rule it’s the truth. I get challenged by mustang drivers every time I turn around.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:56 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

but I still put my fork in my right hand after cutting my steak.
I eat my steak this way all the time! Does that mean I'm low class?
Old 06-10-2018, 10:58 PM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

I am guilty of waving at Corvette owners by mistake when driving one of my other cars once in awhile. When they don't wave back I realize what I'm driving. I guess I'm just happy to see a fellow Corvette owner. They must think I'm nuts or ultra friendly.

Quick Reply: Why are C7 snobs?