C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inside barrel of 2012 chrome wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 02:43 PM
CBRDude
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Inside barrel of 2012 chrome wheels

So I decided to give the Vette a complete wash from top to bottom. Detailed it and looks kickin! Bought some of that Honest wheel cleaner as the inside barrels were filthy.

Works great by the way. Like a hot knife through butter.

So after the wheels got cleaned I noticed where someone had tried to cleaned the sticky from the wheel weights off the barrel of the wheels and now the chrome is exposed. All four wheels have places on them.

Under that gray paint is the chrome like the front of the wheels.

Would I be better off removing the rest of that gray paint or repainting the barrels.? If it's not OEM paint it always never seems to stick or the heat from the wheels hoses it up. So I'm thinking about just removing the rest of the gray paint to expose the entire barrel as chrome.

Good idea or leave it alone!

Thanks

Old 06-22-2018, 04:26 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

I've often thought about stripping away the paint from the inner barrels of my chromes. Then I would discard that idea when I look at the outer surfaces that have been exposed to the rain and winter slush. The OEM paint protects that inner surface where you can't really keep it polished. If you do strip it away as several CF members have done, you really should reapply a medium-to-dark gray paint over all of those inner surfaces. Just my $0.02.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:37 PM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

CBRDude, There has already been one or more threads with pics on this exact subject (if you would kindly use search function)

I, can relate to exactly what your seeing ..............

Im thinking removing the paint, and cleaning/polishing the chrome
would leave the most attractive outcome......Dont know if maintaining Chrome Barrels or Painted Barrels is Easier/Harder

OR after removing OE Gray and prepping with Prep Sol and Scotch Brite, Epoxy Prime and paint new with Single Stage
your choice of New Color.....you would need/want to remove wheel weights and balance again when done

Get notified of new replies

To Inside barrel of 2012 chrome wheels

Quick Reply: Inside barrel of 2012 chrome wheels