C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 seeing gear in dic

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 04:57 PM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts
Default A6 seeing gear in dic

My 11 GS A6 has shown gears in DIC once. The car has HUD and no Idea it how happen and cann't repeat. Does anyone know for sure how to see gear in DIC?
Old 06-12-2018, 05:11 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Put it in sport mode and use the paddles once, it will then show what gear you are in, I hope
NSF
Old 06-12-2018, 05:13 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Simply go through the different modes.....you'll find it.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:26 PM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Simply go through the different modes.....you'll find it.
Have tried that on many occasions and have never found the right combination.Hoped someone knew for sure.

Thanks and if anyone knows please speak up!
Old 06-12-2018, 05:31 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Put it in sport mode and use the paddles once, it will then show what gear you are in, I hope
NSF
No, not exactly. If your car has both HUD & DIC, the gear you're in when you use the paddles will normally be shown in the HUD. However, if the HUD is busy showing something from the Navigation system, the current gear will be shown in the DIC.

This info. was in my 2012 Navigation manual:

When HUD is displaying the
turn-by-turn guidance information,
the vehicle's shift lever gear does
not display in the HUD. The gear
displays on the Driver Information
Center (DIC) screen. Once the
destination has been reached or
guidance is cancelled, the HUD
displays the gear information again.
See Head-Up Display (HUD) in the
Index of your vehicle's owner
manual for more information.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vette_DD:
HK770 (06-12-2018), tabing (06-13-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 05:35 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
No, not exactly. If your car has both HUD & DIC, the gear you're in when you use the paddles will normally be shown in the HUD. However, if the HUD is busy showing something from the Navigation system, the current gear will be shown in the DIC.

Thanks, I don't have nav so it never comes up but it does when ever I do what I described so that's why I posted that hoping that would help. If I am in normal drive mode the gear doesn't appear.
NSF PS Have you tried what I said OP ???
Opps, I reread your question and see that you are asking about the gear showing in the DIC which I was talking about the HUD, belay my answer than.

Last edited by Not So Fast; 06-12-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:47 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

A couple suggested work-arounds from years ago (not my suggestions):

With the HUD in track mode 1 or 2, the gear position is indicated on the HUD and in the DIC only once you enter paddle shift mode. (shifter in S and you've used the paddle once) The HUD indication will remain until you shift out of S. The DIC will show the indication unless you use the buttons to look at something else, i.e. fuel statistics, temperatures, tire pressure, etc. A major annoyance is that as soon as you change gear with the paddles, the gear indication will display on the DIC again.
There is nothing I've found to change this behavior, not even with a tune.

OR

You can do it, but it's a jury rig solution (and requires you to have the built in nav system). The current gear will display in the DIC when it can't be displayed in the HUD. The trick is to have the Nav system think it's displaying it's directions in the HUD, but then pick a HUD display that doesn't show the Nav directions. (it's not as confusing as I'm making it sound!)

I never use the Nav system, so the way I've done it in the past is to program the Nav unit to provide directions to someplace I'll never get to (in my case it's my in-laws house...I only go there in the family car). Then you need to turn off the audio directions in the Nav system (there's a setting for the audio directions volume...I just turn it off...no voice prompts). Then I select a HUD display that doesn't show nav directions (the one's with the tach displayed typically). Then I put the radio or something else on the main nav screen. Basically, programmed the nav to provide directions...but then hide anyplace it can share them with me. Then, voila, the current paddle shifted gear will display in the DIC....always. If you stop the car and then restart later, the Nav will pick up and the paddle shift display will come back to the DIC. Just never get to the location the Nav is programmed to and you've got a solution.

It's not ideal....but it's a work around that I've used effectively on several occasions and I'm pretty much a full time paddle shifter. Beyond that, I don't think there's a permanent setting (at least none that I could ever find).

OR

I think the DashLogic device could be set to show that all the time, but I'm not positive and I think it costs about $300.

Good luck, let us know if you figure it out.
The following users liked this post:
HK770 (06-12-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 09:18 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T

With the HUD in track mode 1 or 2, the gear position is indicated on the HUD and in the DIC only once you enter paddle shift mode. (shifter in S and you've used the paddle once) The HUD indication will remain until you shift out of S. The DIC will show the indication unless you use the buttons to look at something else, i.e. fuel statistics, temperatures, tire pressure, etc. A major annoyance is that as soon as you change gear with the paddles, the gear indication will display on the DIC again.
There is nothing I've found to change this behavior, not even with a tune.
This part is incorrect. This is how the DIC behaves on a non-HUD equip C6. I know because I added HUD in my 2007. Afterwards, the indication would show in both places, HUD and DIC, and changing gears would always bring the DIC back to the gear indication ... until you go into the BCM with a Tech 2 and tell the car it is HUD enabled. Afterwards, the indication will only show in the HUD and the DIC will be left alone.

As to the OP, I would change your HUD to the 3 or so different modes and see if you can replicate the indication in the DIC. I can't imagine it is a oddball or fluke in the software/firmware.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:45 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Thanks, I don't have nav so it never comes up but it does when ever I do what I described so that's why I posted that hoping that would help. If I am in normal drive mode the gear doesn't appear.
NSF PS Have you tried what I said OP ???
Opps, I reread your question and see that you are asking about the gear showing in the DIC which I was talking about the HUD, belay my answer than.
OOPS too. I also thought they were talking about the HUD.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:14 PM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_DD

That is correct. I used this today. My Nav unit pushed directions into the HUD (where the gear is normally displayed if shifting) so the gear displayed in the DIC. The gears will not display in the DIC if you have not placed the shifter into 'S' AND touched the paddle shifters. If you are not shifting via the paddles there is no need to display the gears in the DIC.

Last edited by bonnell; 06-13-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:17 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bonnell
That is correct. I used this today. My Nav unit pushed directions into the HUD (where the gear is normally displayed if shifting) so the gear displayed in the DIC. The gears will not display in the DIC if you have not placed the shifter into 'S' AND touched the paddle shifters. If you are not shifting via the paddles there is no need to display the gears in the DIC.
I dunno. i don't use the paddles all the time...but I would like to know what gear i'm in even when i'm not using them......
Old 06-13-2018, 09:34 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Just an FYI , You could turn the HUD "off" in the BCM with a Tech II , it really does not turn the HUD off , what it does is display the gears in the DIC panel instead of the HUD . This is the setting for NON HUD cars , I installed HUD in my 2011 and the gear would display in both places because this software switch was set to off

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To A6 seeing gear in dic

Quick Reply: A6 seeing gear in dic