C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New seat skins have arrived

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 01:37 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,801 Likes on 4,234 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Default New seat skins have arrived

I received the replacement set of custom seat skins from Interior Innovations today. You can check out my post in Ridies thread about ‘12 -‘13 seat skins. The short version is I ordered these in March & sent them my OEM skins to use as a template. I also sent a sample of the color thread I wanted for the stitching. I was told 3-4 weeks & I received the first set at 9 weeks with the wrong color thread & they didn’t fit.

Some back & forth with II & they agreed to make it right by making a new set with the correct color stitching & adjustment to the fitment as well as providing me a full refund ( this was on May 30th).

The skins arrived today with the correct stitching color & they fit well. This set also had cutouts for the recline lever on the headrest as well as the power adjustment modules on the sides which the first set did not have.

A couple notes - the seat bottoms are missing the flap with the plastic piece that folds under the front & clips to the rail to hold the front snug. The seat bottoms are very secure so I don’t think this will be a problem. The other thing is the seams are very thick so they have a hard time holding to the Velcro strips on the seat foam in certain areas like under the headrest for example. Other than that the quality of the leather & stitching is excellent. Last note as of today I have not received the refund promised on May 30th.

Total time to remove seats, old skins, install new skins & put the seats back in the car was 5 hours taking my time in the 96 degree heat. I drilled a few additional holes in the seat back & plastic strip on the upper/outter section to use more attachment points to get them nice & snug - which you can see in the pictures.

Yes I realize there are wrinkles in case anyone wants to point them out. They came folded up in a small box from Pakistan. I will let them sit out in the sun tomorrow to smooth out. The orange stitching matched my pieces from j-f customs that will hopefully be going on this week (center console, console lid & radio bezel). My awesome iPhone 7 camera doesn’t pic up the color very well & the spots you might see on the seats is sweat as it was 96 degrees & hotter in my garage

The following 2 users liked this post by JABCAT:
thetastelingers (06-13-2018), Twin6s (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 06:18 AM
Cockroach
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 97 Posts

I can appreciate what you were trying to accomplish with changing the seat covers as I've thought about doing it as well. I cringed at the overall appearance of the covers, sorry just being blunt. They seem a little off, something's just not right about them. I feel like a total *** posting this but I'm giving you my honest opinion.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:44 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

I think they look pretty good. They should last longer than the originals. That's for sure!! Good job.

The following users liked this post:
JABCAT (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 07:37 AM
slammin86
Burning Brakes

Received 392 Likes on 205 Posts

Get a heat gun and work the leather. It should tighten up a bit and look better.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:58 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

They look good!
JABCAT (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 08:16 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cockroach
I can appreciate what you were trying to accomplish with changing the seat covers as I've thought about doing it as well. I cringed at the overall appearance of the covers, sorry just being blunt. They seem a little off, something's just not right about them. I feel like a total *** posting this but I'm giving you my honest opinion.
Curious as to what you feel is off about them? They look & fit exactly like the OEM covers minus the wrinkles that need to be worked out. The only difference is these are real leather vs OEM vinyl.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:21 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by slammin86
Get a heat gun and work the leather. It should tighten up a bit and look better.
“Yes I realize there are wrinkles in case anyone wants to point them out. They came folded up in a small box from Pakistan. I will let them sit out in the sun tomorrow to smooth out”

My goal yesterday was to get them on to make sure they fit as I’ve already received one set that didn’t fit and was going on almost exactly 3 months from placing my order. I’ll work out the wrinkles & get them nice & smooth though they will have more texture because they’re genuine full leather vs the OEM vinyl with cloth back.

Last edited by JABCAT; 06-13-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:41 AM
Cockroach
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT

Curious as to what you feel is off about them? They look & fit exactly like the OEM covers minus the wrinkles that need to be worked out. The only difference is these are real leather vs OEM vinyl.

I have installed covers from Year One on my old school Mopars and the fit was perfect and tight right out of the box. The wrinkles on yours will hopefully smooth out for you but the seats look slightly under padded. My first statement was perhaps a little harsh, just not wowed by what I assume they cost and the overall time you waited for them. Please understand I was not trying to offend you or your effort.
JABCAT (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 09:05 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cockroach
I have installed covers from Year One on my old school Mopars and the fit was perfect and tight right out of the box. The wrinkles on yours will hopefully smooth out for you but the seats look slightly under padded. My first statement was perhaps a little harsh, just not wowed by what I assume they cost and the overall time you waited for them. Please understand I was not trying to offend you or your effort.
not offended at all. Was seeing if there was maybe something you saw that I didn’t. The driver’s seat has brand new foam both seat back & seat bottom plus the seat rebuild kit with extra foam blocks under the bolsters. Unfortunately, the seats are just made under padded - I wish they were more like my old SRT8 seats, those were awesome. They were folded up multiple times in a smallerish box & being leather had a lot of creases & wrinkles out of the box. By contrast I purchased a set of OEM skins from a forum member a couple weeks ago & the OEM vinyl hardly creases or wrinkles.

The other thing that looks odd when they’re out of the car is the outside of each respective seat is wider than the inside due to the side airbags. That threw me off at first because I thought I had the skins on a little crooked.

Last edited by JABCAT; 06-13-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:47 AM
tmsmedic
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

They will improve with use, heat, and sun. I got the same comments after posting my pics straight after an install. Here is the main thing my wife and I both immediately noticed...the seats were dramatically more comfortable (new bottom foam), but more importantly, they were noticeably cooler. I don’t know if it is a characteristic of real leather vs pleather or what, but the “back sweat” is not nearly as terrible as it was with the stock seat. Good job...I know you will enjoy.
JABCAT (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 10:00 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

I agree with others in that they will smooth out with some heat and sitting in the sun. I have priced the OEM covers and they are on the top side of $1K with the new foam. I would be interested in knowing how much the OP's skins cost by the time it was all said and done.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:36 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Park the car in the sun to heat up the interior. Those wrinkles will come out. If they are real leather then a little water on them wont hurt. Like wet leather gloves that dry up during the winter

Clif
JABCAT (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 10:41 AM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

They look great and will absolutely tighten in the sun/heat. You did a nice job on the install as well.
JABCAT (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 11:27 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I think they look great. Congrats
JABCAT (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 03:43 PM
GS982
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 200 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Looks Great! I'm glad to see you finally got all the issues with your seats addressed.
JABCAT (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 03:48 PM
bibbster
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Those turned out great! Now if I could only justify a set for our GS...tires and shocks first!
JABCAT (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 04:02 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I'm glad you finally got what you'd asked for in the first place. Those wrinkles will just take a few days of sitting in the sun to straighten out. When the seats are good and hot try sitting in them a few times to stretch and seat (no pun intended) the leather around the foam and frame. This will help it settle in its eventual long-term position. The big question is, are you happy with the skins? I've been following this project since you first sent your skins out as a template. If you're not 100% completely satisfied after everything you've gone through it would just be wrong.

Get notified of new replies

To New seat skins have arrived

Old 06-13-2018, 05:15 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I'm glad you finally got what you'd asked for in the first place. Those wrinkles will just take a few days of sitting in the sun to straighten out. When the seats are good and hot try sitting in them a few times to stretch and seat (no pun intended) the leather around the foam and frame. This will help it settle in its eventual long-term position. The big question is, are you happy with the skins? I've been following this project since you first sent your skins out as a template. If you're not 100% completely satisfied after everything you've gone through it would just be wrong.
Thanks Ed. I am happy with the product. The struggle to get it was a bit much, and we'll see if they follow through with the refund they promised. I test fit the leather console lid cover I purchased from j-f customs & the stitching matches now, so once I get the center console, lid & radio bezel leather pieces on, it will look really good. I'm planning to eventually cover all the interior plastics with leather w/orange stitching, so the seats had to match or it would've looked like crap. Now that they're right, I can start putting together the rest of the interior.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:49 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

My last set from them had some wrinkles, not as bad but they were there. Any time I've done my own upholstery there's always some finish shrinking needed(because I have a simple home sewing machine). Mink oil and a heat gun does it quickly and keeps the leather soft. Brush it on the spots you need, heat it up and use your finger to guide everything the way it's needed. Also works to recondition aging leather.
JABCAT (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 12:59 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane
My last set from them had some wrinkles, not as bad but they were there. Any time I've done my own upholstery there's always some finish shrinking needed(because I have a simple home sewing machine). Mink oil and a heat gun does it quickly and keeps the leather soft. Brush it on the spots you need, heat it up and use your finger to guide everything the way it's needed. Also works to recondition aging leather.
Left the car out in the sun yesterday and most wrinkles are out.

Quick Reply: New seat skins have arrived