C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ringing in the B-pillar during turns and rough roads

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 03:23 AM
Gator6977
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
Default Ringing in the B-pillar during turns and rough roads

Since I've owned my 08', every time I turn or travel down one of our vast brick streets, I get a little ringing coming from the area around the seatbelt. It almost sounds like a small, thin washer loosely placed on a rivet that vibrates against something metal. It's not very loud, but is noticeable. I've searched and searched and found a mention where someone used dielectric grease on a floating washer somewhere around the seatbelt retractor inside the B-pillar. I looked inside there and couldn't find anything. Short of taking off a handful of panels and cutting donuts in a parking lot with my head buried into the area beside and behind my driver's seat, I'm at a loss. Has anyone dealt with this that might have a little better direction, insight or better yet, a picture!? Thanks!
Old 06-12-2018, 10:45 AM
bibbster
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Sound is a funny thing sometimes. Not saying I'm right, but check your rear view mirror. There was a sound very much like you are describing coming from inside our car. Took a while to figure out where it was coming from. It ended up being the metal ring on the back side of the rear view mirror. The ring is supposed to help to keep the mirror in place within the ball socket, but two of the 'fingers' broke off allowing the metal ring to hang loose. It would, on occasion, hit the mirror just right and make a ringing sound. You don't have to remove the mirror. You can either feel behind the mirror for the loose metal ring, or actually look behind the mirror and see it.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:32 AM
Gator6977
Instructor

2018 C6 of Year Finalist

I felt around behind the mirror and everything is solid. Though, it's most definitely coming from over my left shoulder. Thanks for the response!
Old 06-13-2018, 08:30 AM
bibbster
Racer

Well, it was worth a shot anyway. Hopefully you can track it down soon, that type of thing is annoying. Drive on over and we'll figure it out!

Last edited by bibbster; 06-13-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:07 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator6977
I've searched and searched and found a mention where someone used dielectric grease on a floating washer somewhere around the seatbelt retractor inside the B-pillar. I looked inside there and couldn't find anything. Short of taking off a handful of panels and cutting donuts in a parking lot with my head buried into the area beside and behind my driver's seat, I'm at a loss. Has anyone dealt with this that might have a little better direction, insight or better yet, a picture!?
There've been a few reports over the years of a rattle, precious few but there.
Allegedly isolated to seat belt mechanism, never a ring.

Once BP's removed for access SB mechanism was easy to see/work on.
IIRC a little grease seemed to help, maybe even a nylon washed vs metal, all from memory as this isn't reported very often.

So, nothing was observed w/ BP removed?
SB mechanism's behind that panel.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:25 PM
Gator6977
Instructor

2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Not that I could see. I pried it back enough to fit my hand in there and felt, shook and eventually smacked around everything I could in an effort to duplicate the sound. I think it might be time to get more aggressive and start tearing things apart .
Old 06-13-2018, 09:20 PM
Gator6977
Instructor

2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Welp, spent several hours taking panels off and trying to find the rattle. Started with the sail panel, leaving the seatbelt extractor exposed and couldn't find anything loose. So I went for a drive. Sound still there, but sounded like it was coming more from the door panel nearest the little led. Pull back into my garage and start rapping on the door panel near that corner, and there it is! Sob. So, door panel comes off with me thinking a window track, bolt or something else metal is loose.

Poke around for a bit and find the only thing loose are a handful of push pins from around the door subwoofer. I shake a couple of them, and there's my mystery ringing! Three push pins from literally the furthest point possible on the door panel causing a ringing noise that radiates all the way to the rear sail panel near my left ear, fun times. Used a little rtv gasket maker on each of the loose pins and voila, gone! I've since been out a couple times and the ring is gone! Thanks again for input. I love this place!
The following users liked this post:
Landru (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 08:13 AM
bibbster
Racer

Awesome! Glad you figured it out, and thanks for reporting back as to what it was and how you fixed it.

Last edited by bibbster; 06-14-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:04 AM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

Glad you found the problem. Noises can be really tough to track down. My car had a rattling sound that I could swear was coming from the seat belt area. It was actually coming from the dash.

Get notified of new replies

To Ringing in the B-pillar during turns and rough roads

Quick Reply: Ringing in the B-pillar during turns and rough roads