C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension - CORNER BALANCE

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 05:56 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Suspension - CORNER BALANCE

Hey guys,

I tried to search, but couldn't find much info on this. Who has their car corner balanced? How much do you expect to pay for it? Does it benefit in DD & carving in the hills?

Thanks.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:16 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

If you search in the Autocross/Roadracing Forum there are many discussions on corner balancing. If you do search, I suggest you search "Titles Only" vs entire discussions. And obviously ask your question there too. Good luck.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...roadracing-23/
Old 06-19-2018, 04:49 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Are you meaning "scaling" the car? Where you weigh the car at the points of contact and move weight around to get 50/50 balance?
Old 06-19-2018, 09:29 PM
cam1969
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Typically this is done on 4 scales, the sway bars are disconnected to make each wheel independent, then the spring jack screws (or coilovers) are adjusted so the diagonal weights are the same i.e. front right + rear left = front left + rear right. This will give you the best balance you can have short of moving weight. Adjustable sway bar ends are needed to reconnect without putting torque on the sway bar when the car is sitting level.
The only real viable option for moving weight is relocating the battery to the trunk passenger compartment (rear right is the lightest corner on C6s). That is where the z06 batter is located.
This type of activity is for very competitive racing, not worth the effort for the road (or even track days). This is for squeezing out the last fraction of a percent of performance... Most people can get 100X the benefit by spending money on a performance driving school.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:32 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by cam1969
Typically this is done on 4 scales, the sway bars are disconnected to make each wheel independent, then the spring jack screws (or coilovers) are adjusted so the diagonal weights are the same i.e. front right + rear left = front left + rear right. This will give you the best balance you can have short of moving weight. Adjustable sway bar ends are needed to reconnect without putting torque on the sway bar when the car is sitting level.
The only real viable option for moving weight is relocating the battery to the trunk passenger compartment (rear right is the lightest corner on C6s). That is where the z06 batter is located.
This type of activity is for very competitive racing, not worth the effort for the road (or even track days). This is for squeezing out the last fraction of a percent of performance... Most people can get 100X the benefit by spending money on a performance driving school.
+1!
Old 06-19-2018, 10:27 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RicK T
If you search in the Autocross/Roadracing Forum there are many discussions on corner balancing. If you do search, I suggest you search "Titles Only" vs entire discussions. And obviously ask your question there too. Good luck.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...roadracing-23/
I did search titles only, in the entire C6 category....not much.

Anyhow, if someone has first-hand info please do share.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:06 AM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 125 Posts

Google is a much better search engine even for this Corvette forum!
Old 06-20-2018, 02:37 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
Hey guys,

I tried to search, but couldn't find much info on this. Who has their car corner balanced? How much do you expect to pay for it? Does it benefit in DD & carving in the hills?

Thanks.
I have an '06 with the Z51 package and have never had mine corner balanced and have never felt the need to do so. I drive very spiritedly, especially through our mountain roads. We have what we call the 'Gorge' on I15 just north of where I live which consists of over 10 miles of some very nice continues curves; max speed is 45 on the mildest of the curves. I've traveled this pass several times early in morning with no traffic and handle the 35-40 MPH curves at 90+ MPH in a single lane with no problems, the car drives like a slot car through them.

Last edited by Welker1; 06-20-2018 at 02:42 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:47 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Welker1
I have an '06 with the Z51 package and have never had mine corner balanced and have never felt the need to do so. I drive very spiritedly, especially through our mountain roads. We have what we call the 'Gorge' on I15 just north of where I live which consists of over 10 miles of some very nice continues curves; max speed is 45 on the mildest of the curves. I've traveled this pass several times early in morning with no traffic and handle the 35-40 MPH curves at 90+ MPH in a single lane with no problems, the car drives like a slot car through them.
Well, Z51 is meant to be handling pkg, to begin with. You didn't say if you have any mods or it's ALL OEM? Any changes at all?
Old 06-21-2018, 11:13 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

If I were you, I would get all your suspension mods done. (shocks, sways, bushings, etc...) then to go a race shop that knows what they are doing with alignments and have the car aligned and corner balanced. Then never worry about corner balancing again. Outside of guys racing corner balancing isn't really done. You aren't going to feel or see any difference in how the car handles on the street. You won't (or shouldn't) be pushing the car near hard enough to warrant worrying about it. However, if you are getting the car aligned after all the new parts it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and have it done while the car is there.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:48 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Well, Z51 is meant to be handling pkg, to begin with. You didn't say if you have any mods or it's ALL OEM? Any changes at all?
No kidding, that's why I mentioned it. No mods, completely stock.

Last edited by Welker1; 06-21-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:19 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 638 Likes on 400 Posts

Rich at Abel Chevrolet is probably the largest installer of our suspension/aero products and very active in autocross/road race community in CA. I would give him a call and he can help with what will benefit you most. Feel free to give us a call as well 972-429-1963.

Thanks,

Dane

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension - CORNER BALANCE

Quick Reply: Suspension - CORNER BALANCE