C6 Vendor for Sale Exclusive forum for vendors to list C6 products, services and promotions.

C6 Full Bi LED Morimoto C7 Style Replacement Headlights from Umnitza WITH photos and

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 10:57 PM
GS057
Safety Car

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Default hyperflashing

In you video it looks like the blinkers are hyper flashing. I thought they had the load resistors built in. Did you try the sequential blinker feature?
Originally Posted by doomi
I am KD.

I went ahead and hooked up the provided harness. This allows the hockey sticks to stay lit any time the car is on. A quirk I still can't get past is that the hockey sticks are running on their dimmed setting, not full brightness. They are significantly brighter in their full bright setting, but that only happens for a split second after I turn off and exit the car. I'd love a solution that worked like the C7. Hockey sticks full bright any time the car is on, unless the turn signals are on. Then fully dimmed.

I'm really impressed with these lights. I think they are gorgeous and really compliment the look of the car. That was my concern was they could clash with the timeless C6 design. But I don't feel like that's the case at all.

I did have a passing motorist flash their brights on the way home, so I'm thinking some adjustment may be necessary.

https://youtu.be/uMFEz_ROU9U

Last edited by GS057; 07-18-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:01 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by GS057
In you video it looks like the blinkers are hyper flashing. I thought they had the load resistors built in. Did you try the sequential blinker feature?
These do have resistors built in, and they appear to be high quality. But I don't have resistors on my LED tail lights so they still hyper flash. For some reason I like the fast flashing.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:06 PM
GS057
Safety Car

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

did you try the sequential blinker feature? It looks pretty cool in one of the videos.
These do have resistors built in, and they appear to be high quality. But I don't have resistors on my LED tail lights so they still hyper flash. For some reason I like the fast flashing.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:09 PM
doomi
Drifting

Originally Posted by GS057
did you try the sequential blinker feature? It looks pretty cool in one of the videos.
I tried it just for kicks, but I don't like that sort of thing too much.

With hyper flash it also only makes it up halfway up the leds in sequential mode.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:56 PM
info@umnitza.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 327 Likes on 261 Posts

There should only be sequential or standard. But no hyperflash like an led out
Old 07-19-2018, 12:38 AM
MikeOC
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Does the included front harness introduce delay like there was talk of the rear harness doing?
Old 07-19-2018, 09:47 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

I understand the harness makes the "L" shaped light function as a DRL by remaining on the entire time. Do the amber turn signals also stay on since they are the DRLs without the harness?
Old 07-19-2018, 10:09 AM
doomi
Drifting

Originally Posted by MikeOC
Does the included front harness introduce delay like there was talk of the rear harness doing?
There is no delay caused by the harness.

Originally Posted by Frankie15
I understand the harness makes the "L" shaped light function as a DRL by remaining on the entire time. Do the amber turn signals also stay on since they are the DRLs without the harness?
I'm my case, yes the amber turn signals stay lit as DRL's. It's hard for me to take pics of the DRL's because the DRL's turn off when you put up the ebrake. I'll have someone else take a pic with me this evening.
The following users liked this post:
MikeOC (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 10:25 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

There is no delay caused by the harness.

I'm my case, yes the amber turn signals stay lit as DRL's. It's hard for me to take pics of the DRL's because the DRL's turn off when you put up the ebrake. I'll have someone else take a pic with me this evening.
Ugh, this whole situation has been a bit frustrating to be honest. So you will have to flick the stalk and release to disable the amber turn signals, right? Thanks for the quick response man!
Old 07-19-2018, 10:48 AM
doomi
Drifting

Ugh, this whole situation has been a bit frustrating to be honest. So you will have to flick the stalk and release to disable the amber turn signals, right? Thanks for the quick response man!
The way they are set currently you will need to flick the stalk or turn on your fog lights to disable the amber DRL's. I had to do that with my previous switchbacks though, so I'm kind of in the habit.

And you're welcome. I know there are a ton of questions on these things that's why I wanted to install them immediately. Let me know if you have anything else you're wondering about.
Frankie15 (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 12:05 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

The way they are set currently you will need to flick the stalk or turn on your fog lights to disable the amber DRL's. I had to do that with my previous switchbacks though, so I'm kind of in the habit.

And you're welcome. I know there are a ton of questions on these things that's why I wanted to install them immediately. Let me know if you have anything else you're wondering about.
Yeah, I do that now with my switchbacks because I don't like the amber DRLs. I was hoping to be able to break that habit with these headlights. Reduce one more thing to do once I sit in the seat. Enable the memory seats, turn on the Akrapovic "Wild" mode, and then flick the stalk.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer questions. Sincerely appreciated sir!

Last edited by Frankie15; 07-19-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:48 PM
info@umnitza.com
Supporting Vendor

Please allow me to illustrate a bit of what's going on:
  • The “L” is the DRL if you use the harness and tap the appropriate (in our case HVAC) fuse inside the car. We could not find the correct fuse in the engine bay fuse box. This makes the “L” the full brightness DRL as soon as you turn on ignition. If you do not use this harness, your "L" will be 50% bright only. SEE FIRST PIC BELOW
  • There is no manual way to disable the amber because the signal is coming from the car’s light module and going to that pin – and that pin is part of the turn signal control as well. The simplest thing to do is go to a dealer, indy, or get the programming to simply code that feature out. You can do this on all modern cars, no reason you can’t do this on Corvettes. - SEE SECOND PIC BELOW
  • In order to hard wire the turn signals to only work as turn signals, you have to install a different relay for the turn signals to make them operate only in turn signal mode through hard wiring – waste of time frankly.
  • The “L” automatically dims as part of the internal circuitry whenever the turn signal is activated – be it for parking light, turn signal, or when headlights are on. This is normal on every new car and operates the same with these headlights.
  • We are working with the factory but they are not planning to change this behavior unless we have over 200 units SPECIFIC to design this and even then, they don’t know if the engineers can solve it without having a car there full time (which they do not as of now).
PICTURE 1 - HARNESS

Second photo below shows the OE plug and how ALL the wires coincide with the plug from the new lights. I won't detail exactly which pin does what, but if you have a programmer, you should be able to disable one of the signals sent to one of the pins for the DRL AMBER turn signals.

Where to tap the DRL "L" power - internal fuse box location. However, we're still fiddling with the possibility that fuse 9 and 16 (thanks Doomi) could work.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:34 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

You didn't really answer doomi's question though. He stated he IS using the harness and is at 50% brightness. You stated you will have the "L" shaped light at 50% brightness UNLESS you use the harness.

Also, you continue to state that the "L" shaped light is the DRL if you use the harness, BUT you leave out the fact that the amber lights (turn signals) are ALSO on at the same time so they are also functioning as DRLs. Whether you use the harness or not, the amber turn signals will be on as DRLs alongside the "L" shaped light which does not follow what we were initially told several times. We were previously told several times that the amber LEDs would ONLY function as hazards/turn signals which is false.

I'm honestly not trying to come off as a pain in the ***. I am just trying to get the truth about these tails because it seems like almost everything we were told up to this point (from vendors/distributors) has been a lie.

I am KD.

I went ahead and hooked up the provided harness. This allows the hockey sticks to stay lit any time the car is on. A quirk I still can't get past is that the hockey sticks are running on their dimmed setting, not full brightness. They are significantly brighter in their full bright setting, but that only happens for a split second after I turn off and exit the car. I'd love a solution that worked like the C7. Hockey sticks full bright any time the car is on, unless the turn signals are on. Then fully dimmed.

Last edited by Frankie15; 07-19-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:48 PM
info@umnitza.com
Supporting Vendor

You didn't really answer doomi's question though. He stated he IS using the harness and is at 50% brightness. You stated you will have the "L" shaped light at 50% brightness UNLESS you use the harness.

Also, you continue to state that the "L" shaped light is the DRL if you use the harness, BUT you leave out the fact that the amber lights (turn signals) are ALSO on at the same time so they are also functioning as DRLs. Whether you use the harness or not, the amber turn signals will be on as DRLs alongside the "L" shaped light which does not follow what we were initially told several times. We were previously told several times that the amber LEDs would ONLY function as hazards/turn signals which is false.

I'm honestly not trying to come off as a pain in the ***. I am just trying to get the truth about these tails because it seems like almost everything we were told up to this point (from vendors/distributors) has been a lie.
First, please don't confuse different people's installs. "GingerGranny's" photos shows the bars are 50% because I'm pretty sure the installer didn't use the harness.
Second, the harness allows full daytime operation, posted before using OUR own videos. Sound is off, but the car is running in the first one AND driving in the second, the DRL are full bright. Particularly the second and latest video, you see how the DRL are full bright but when the signal is activated the DRL "L" goes half bright. Not the BEST video we can do, but we'll do a better one this weekend.

View this post on Instagram
View this post on Instagram

I've not left anything off, the AMBER light turns on with the car going into drive (6sp or AUTO) and has to be manually turned off. By keeping the amber on, the DRL "L" is 50%, but turning it off, immediately reverts back to 100% bright for "L" when using the harness.

Once you turn off the DRL OE feature (amber) the LED function only as turn/hazard/park. We've stated this several times.

Stating this entirely based on the 6+ hours we spent trying every configuration we could do.
ledesordre (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 02:58 PM
MikeOC
Racer

Okay so, if I'm understanding this correctly the white L as DRL functionality works as such: wire white L to be on half or full using the harness per preference, then turn of DRL inside the car like an unmodified car. Amber LEDs go off, white stays on. Not the way I thought the white L DRL would be functioning, but I can live with that considering how much brighter and better looking this set is.

The second unverified possibility is to have the DRL turned off in some board setting somewhere, which would turn off the Amber LEDs as DRL, leaving the white L DRL as a DRL without changing the stock upon entering the car each time.

Am I understanding all of this correctly?
Old 07-19-2018, 03:11 PM
info@umnitza.com
Supporting Vendor

The harness gives DRL "L" full 100% brightness. They are orthogonal to anything on the actual plug from the car. However, internally, when the signal is activated, the parking, signal, hazard, the DRL "L" dims.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:15 PM
doomi
Drifting

Originally Posted by info@umnitza.com
The harness gives DRL "L" full 100% brightness. They are orthogonal to anything on the actual plug from the car. However, internally, when the signal is activated, the parking, signal, hazard, the DRL "L" dims.
If you take a look at my video the 'L' doesn't dim when the turn signal comes on because it's already running dimmed. However I am using the harness so you're saying it should be at 100%.

I'm hoping to have some more time for testing when I leave the office this evening.

https://youtu.be/uMFEz_ROU9U

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Full Bi LED Morimoto C7 Style Replacement Headlights from Umnitza WITH photos and

Old 07-19-2018, 03:16 PM
info@umnitza.com
Supporting Vendor

did you tap the harness to the inside fuse box HVAC fuse?
Old 07-19-2018, 03:18 PM
MikeOC
Racer

Understood and appreciated. Things were a little unclear to me how everything would be working but I understand now. I was hoping to not have to turn the DRLs off on the stock with each entry but again not a huge deal. Still a great looking set and the extra brightness will be appreciated from a safety point of view. I always felt the stock lights were too dim for a car this fast.

Are the instructions for switching between standard and progressive amber LEDs included?
Old 07-19-2018, 03:20 PM
doomi
Drifting

did you tap the harness to the inside fuse box HVAC fuse?
I did not. I haven't had time to extend the provided harness yet. It's currently hooked up under the hood to fuse 16.

I'll try to make time to extend the harness when I'm messing with them this evening.

Quick Reply: C6 Full Bi LED Morimoto C7 Style Replacement Headlights from Umnitza WITH photos and