C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Morimoto C7-Style XB-2 LED Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 10:40 PM
maktonc6
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that seems counter intuitive as the DRLs are already on, yet the amber lights are also on and I have to explicitly turn them off (regardless of day or night)

I question here is for VetteLights on the expected usage of these Morimoto lights as they do not seem to with typical US lighting operations and want to know if this is expected and if they intend to update these lights to follow the typical US lighting operation.

-Mike
Old 01-04-2019, 10:44 PM
tcweidner
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

At night the orange lights are not on, as they are not on when headlights are. They are part of the daylight running lights, and as I mentioned the way to turn them off is to twist the **** up once from the auto position. There are some harnesses I know that have been made to turn them off automatically in the daytime if you want to go that route.

I personally have both the headlights and taillights from Morimoto and think they are much much better looking than the original lights.

Last edited by tcweidner; 01-04-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:09 AM
VetteLights
Supporting Vendor

Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by tcweidner
At night the orange lights are not on, as they are not on when headlights are. They are part of the daylight running lights, and as I mentioned the way to turn them off is to twist the **** up once from the auto position. There are some harnesses I know that have been made to turn them off automatically in the daytime if you want to go that route.

I personally have both the headlights and taillights from Morimoto and think they are much much better looking than the original lights.
Thank you for the help!

This is correct. The car is not in DRL mode until in gear for autos or ebrake off for manuals. The car going into gear is indeed supposed to activate the amber lights on the gen 1 sets.

Cole Manzelli
Cole@Vette-Lights.com
(405) 209-5328

Vette-Lights.com
"FORUM10" - 10% Off Almost All Upgrades

Old 01-05-2019, 01:37 AM
choppychop
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 265 Posts

Old 01-05-2019, 09:34 AM
maktonc6
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteLights
Thank you for the help!

This is correct. The car is not in DRL mode until in gear for autos or ebrake off for manuals. The car going into gear is indeed supposed to activate the amber lights on the gen 1 sets.
Gen1 Sets? what do the other generations do in this case?

Since the bottom LED Line (White and supposed to be the DRLs) are always on, then the amber lights should be off unless the 4 ways or turn signals are on. Also, when the turn signals are being used the DRL on that side should be out, and come back on when the signals is off. This is the typical operation of the new LED based DRLs on current cars today, and I believe have believe have been mentioned in this thread before. Will there be some writeup, update, or support to those who have already supported these new headlights with the $1000 purchase, which will get these lights to operate like other current vehicles?

Again, this is for VetteLights and Morimoto as Morimoto built these with VetteLights being the seller, which is how I got these lights 6 months ago (took 6 months to install due to environment and work). Should not have to turn off the daytime running lights every time. In truth, the DRLs on the headlights should be used and not fused directly into 6 or 14 in the fusebox and a relay or transistor used to support the turn signal operation and disable the DRL when the signal is in operation. Is this the intention of the Gen2?

-Mike
Old 01-05-2019, 10:43 AM
RichKiss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Interested in pricing and if these are in stock. If not when is next shipment expected??
Old 01-05-2019, 01:45 PM
bobeyoung
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by tcweidner

I see you are in the Philly suburbs, and was wondering if you've had the car state inspected yet with the new light setup? Thanks!
Old 01-05-2019, 02:32 PM
tcweidner
Racer

Im in the NJ side Philly suburbs, I dont forsee any issues, especially in NJ, all NJ does now is inspect emissions. My car is heavily modded and they had no issues with it. Its a 13 so the one time I did get it inspected, it was kinda funny, They told me to wait a second as the main supervisor was coming down, I thought OK here we go... Instead they come down, jump in the car with me and say... They Love vettes and just wanted to jump into and see this one. So at least in Jersey your all good.
The following users liked this post:
bobeyoung (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 02:38 PM
bobeyoung
Racer

Thanks! Pa gets a little more carried away. I'm definitely going to do this as long as I don't have inspection problems. I'll check with the guy who does mine.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:49 PM
tcweidner
Racer

I dont think you'll have any issues, the people worried about the orange running lights are just complaining about aesthetics, and the fact that if you want them off you manually have to flick a **** ( not a big deal if you ask me, you have to do this to turn off the orange egg in the regular lights) IMHO I like the new orange lights on my silver vette, I think the orange light lines extenuate the lines of the car. I'm all about the lines.

Hell my brother builds all sorts of street legal race cars in PA, if he can get some of his crazy stuff through inspection, you'll have no issues.

Last edited by tcweidner; 01-05-2019 at 02:51 PM.
bobeyoung (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 02:51 PM
bobeyoung
Racer

Agreed! Thank you!
tcweidner (01-05-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 05:33 PM
VetteLights
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by RichKiss
Interested in pricing and if these are in stock. If not when is next shipment expected??
PM Sent
Old 01-06-2019, 05:34 PM
VetteLights
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by bobeyoung
I see you are in the Philly suburbs, and was wondering if you've had the car state inspected yet with the new light setup? Thanks!
These lights are DOT, SAE, & ECE compliant so no issues should arrive in any state inspections.
bobeyoung (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 05:39 PM
VetteLights
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by maktonc6
Gen1 Sets? what do the other generations do in this case?

Since the bottom LED Line (White and supposed to be the DRLs) are always on, then the amber lights should be off unless the 4 ways or turn signals are on. Also, when the turn signals are being used the DRL on that side should be out, and come back on when the signals is off. This is the typical operation of the new LED based DRLs on current cars today, and I believe have believe have been mentioned in this thread before. Will there be some writeup, update, or support to those who have already supported these new headlights with the $1000 purchase, which will get these lights to operate like other current vehicles?

Again, this is for VetteLights and Morimoto as Morimoto built these with VetteLights being the seller, which is how I got these lights 6 months ago (took 6 months to install due to environment and work). Should not have to turn off the daytime running lights every time. In truth, the DRLs on the headlights should be used and not fused directly into 6 or 14 in the fusebox and a relay or transistor used to support the turn signal operation and disable the DRL when the signal is in operation. Is this the intention of the Gen2?

-Mike
Gen 2 units main change is making the amber lights strictly turn signals/hazards. There are harnesses available to make the Gen 1 units mirror this functionality. The change was made due to popular demand of that functionality. The DRLs do not turn off with the turn signals, rather they dim.
greatgonzer (01-09-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:26 PM
derksur
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lights

Originally Posted by VetteLights
All PM's replied!
Hi sir, do you still have a set of lights for me?
whats the price including shipping to miami 33166

Old 01-12-2019, 12:02 AM
VetteLights
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by derksur
Hi sir, do you still have a set of lights for me?
whats the price including shipping to miami 33166
PM'd you
Lights are on hand for same/next day shipping.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:54 AM
rufuspokie
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Default THOUGHT I had all the bugs worked out

I have a 2006 and for many years have had "Eagle Eye" LED tail lights which have always functioned flawlessly. I installed the "Gen 1" Morimoto headlights and after a few iterations, worked my way up to thinking they were finally functioning as I wanted. Since installing them I really haven't actually used the car. This weekend I took it out and noticed a very strange thing happening. Normally a C6 should have a repetition rate of the directionals of about 80 blinks per minute. After installing them I tested this and this SEEMED to be fine. When I took the car out, I noticed that the directionals were blinking too quickly. Probably around 120 blinks per minute (almost to the point of hyper-flashing). After further investigation, I realized that it doesn't initially happen when the car is first turned on, only after 15 to 20 seconds.
All of the LED directionals have load resistors to simulate incandescent bulbs. Because they were easy to access, I tried increasing the resistance of the load resistors in the tail lights to eliminate this problem. This had no effect. Looking at the schematic I realize that the front and rear directional signals come from different outputs of the Body Control Module. So maybe what needs to be done is to increase the load resistors for the headlight LEDs or possibly one of the resistors is "open" (infinite resistance).
The phenomenon that I am seeing might be what the computer was programed to do when it sensed an imbalance of the load. In other words: blink rapidly when a bulb goes out. Has anyone had a incandescent bulb go out, and is this what happens?
Has anyone experienced this rapid blinking? What is the fix?

Get notified of new replies

To Morimoto C7-Style XB-2 LED Headlights

Old 01-13-2019, 12:52 PM
07MontyRed
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13,'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Lifetime Member

Yes, fast flashing is the car's way of telling you that a bulb is out (when using incandescents). My Gen1 Morimotos from Vette Lights) blink at the normal rate using the RadioFlyer harness (to give them C7 functionality). I do not have Eagle Eyes.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:04 PM
rufuspokie
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 07MontyRed
Yes, fast flashing is the car's way of telling you that a bulb is out (when using incandescents). My Gen1 Morimotos from Vette Lights) blink at the normal rate using the RadioFlyer harness (to give them C7 functionality). I do not have Eagle Eyes.
Thanks for the info. Maybe one of the Morimoto load resistors are open.

Update: Added load resistors, in parallel, in series and removed them and still have hyperflashing with the headlights off.

Last edited by rufuspokie; 03-17-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:14 PM
VetteLights
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by rufuspokie
Has anyone experienced this rapid blinking? What is the fix?
Very odd. Sorry you're having to deal with this. I can get some load resistors shot your way for the front turn signal circuits - please just PM me your order number to pull your info and they will head your way!

Quick Reply: Morimoto C7-Style XB-2 LED Headlights