C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone heard of TriboDyn synthetic oil?

Old 06-18-2018, 01:18 PM
Dynajim
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone heard of TriboDyn synthetic oil?

I was speaking w/a friend about synthetic oil. He mentioned TriboDyn blue (ya,it’s blue) synthetic oil. The specs look really good. Better than Amsoil! The bad news is it’s about $19/quart!!!
He also mentioned that the low weight oils are primarily for gas mileage?
I never did like the oil pressure at 20 or slightly less at idle!! I would much prefer 35 at idle. Maybe I’m too old school?
Anyway has anyone used this stuff and how do y’all feel about the recommended oil weights on C6’s or other late motors?
Old 06-18-2018, 04:42 PM
Kerz
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

No, not heard of it before your posting. I did take a look at their website. I didn't see anything unique other than "blue," and the price. Originally the lower vis grades were primarily focused on MPG but not so today. Engines are designed specifically for the vis grade specified by the manufacturer. Variable valve timing would be an example. I would recommend that you save your money and chose either Valvoline SynPower or Mobil 1. Personally, I'll continue to use Valvoline products. Too much hands-on knowledge in the Valvoline Technology Department for me to do otherwise.
Vic
Old 06-18-2018, 04:45 PM
Dynajim
Intermediate

Thx for ur input hadn’t thought about Valvoline

Last edited by Dynajim; 06-18-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:49 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,239 Likes on 704 Posts

I also use Mobil 1 or Valvoline.

No need to reinvent the wheel, at three times the cost no less. JMO
Old 06-18-2018, 04:53 PM
Dynajim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I also use Mobil 1 or Valvoline.

No need to reinvent the wheel, at three times the cost no less. JMO
Ya. I thought it was way too pricey short of having discovered some wild breakthrough 😏
Old 06-18-2018, 05:05 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Along with the "standard" color...(if you will)....there seems to be blue....red....purple....and probably a couple more that i've missed. It could just boil down to what color one likes best.....
Old 06-18-2018, 05:07 PM
Dynajim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by windyC6
Along with the "standard" color...(if you will)....there seems to be blue....red....purple....and probably a couple more that i've missed. It could just boil down to what color one likes best.....
My wife would like pink😏 I better not tell her
Old 06-18-2018, 09:55 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,335 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Kerz
Too much hands-on knowledge in the Valvoline Technology Department for me to do otherwise.
Vic
Help me out here...Valvoline has more "hands-on knowledge" then, I assume, Mobil? Please help me understand...
The following users liked this post:
cadyshac (06-18-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 05:48 AM
Kerz
Advanced

Not sure about Mobil. I was referring my personal experience at Valvoline. Forty years in the Technology Department. I retired 4 years ago.
Just a couple of pieces of Valvoline history:
The world's oldest oil company, founded in 1866 by Dr. John Ellis.
Many technological developments over the last 150+ years. In 1965, we undertook the development of Valvoline Racing Oil. The first engine oil formulated specially for racing. A really neat project that was conducted in cooperation with Porsche.

Vic
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
GRCTampa (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 07:22 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,360 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynajim
He also mentioned that the low weight oils are primarily for gas mileage?

The primary spec for oil weight is bearing clearances.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:38 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,648 Likes on 1,691 Posts

I wouldn't pay that kind of price when almost any mainstream synthetic oil will serve the purpose when you change the oil and filter at regular intervals. I typically use Pennzoil Platinum based on very good long term UOA results on wear resistance and resistance to shearing in DI engines. If it's out of stock at Wally World when I go, I will purchase Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil, or Quaker State full synthetics. I change my oil and filter at 5-7k mile intervals, typically at the 5k mark, so any good synthetic works for me.

Last edited by BadAV; 06-19-2018 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:52 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAV
I wouldn't pay that kind of price when almost any mainstream synthetic oil will serve the purpose when you change the oil and filter at regular intervals. I typically use Pennzoil Platinum based on very good long term UOA results on wear resistance and resistance to shearing in DI engines. If it's out of stock at Wally World when I go, I will purchase Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil, or Quaker State full synthetics. I change my oil and filter at 5-7k mile intervals, typically at the 5k mark, so any good synthetic works for me.
But not sure what all the techno wording means...LOL. I too just use a supposed "Quality" syn when I change. Been doing this with all my cars forever and have never had an oil related problem. Of course before the forum trolls come out....yes years ago syn wasn't available so any good quality dino worked for me. These days I use syn in the vette & Harley and blended in all other cars. But if it were up to a color choice....I think i'd have to go with the purple stuff.....
Old 06-19-2018, 11:59 AM
Kerz
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
The primary spec for oil weight is bearing clearances.
yes, did a lot of really low vis grade stuff with our race teams. Especially NASCAR.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:10 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,360 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerz

yes, did a lot of really low vis grade stuff with our race teams. Especially NASCAR.

Yes, I built some engines. In "old school" vernacular, we sometimes would build "loose" engines (larger bearing tolerances). We couldn't use low viscosity oil. Never get or maintain oil pressure. On the other hand, if tolerances are really tight, a low viscosity oil is needed or lubrication would be poor to nil.

Secondary to this is ambient air temps etc., and after that, improved mileage with certain viscosities, but the improvement is 0.xxxxxxxxx. But, times tens of millions of applications.....

Last edited by BlindSpot; 06-19-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:26 PM
Kerz
Advanced

Yes sir, I couldn’t agree more. Some of our viscosities were crazy low. So much, they r still confidential today.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone heard of TriboDyn synthetic oil?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone heard of TriboDyn synthetic oil?