C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price check please: 2006 C6 with 198,900 miles

Old 06-18-2018, 02:45 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Price check please: 2006 C6 with 198,900 miles

Hi all,

(Mod's hope this is the correct place to post this)

I'm curious what the forum consensus is on the value of my C6 I'm looking to list for sale. It's a 2006, auto w/paddles, base, no nav, no glass roof. Clean title.

It was formerly a 1 owner car. I've owned it for 2.5 years now but have never registered it. I've put about 400 miles on it with temp tags. Former owner was on older gemtleman who drove it Vegas to LA all the time. It was never driven hard or abused.

Oil was changed religiously I have many receipts for oil changes from the previous owner. Starts, runs and drives very nice. All gauges work and oil pressure is always right around 40psi. Auto trans shifts perfect. A/C is ice cold. It rides surprisingly nice considering the miles and especially considering the condition of the (mismatched) tires. My last Corvette was a 1993 C4 in fantastic condition with 60k miles and this car rides 4x nicer. A real testament to the C6!

I've done a bit of work to it to get it ready to sell in the last few months:

- Brand new GM fuel sending unit assembly including new GM fuel pump
- Both fuel level sending units replaced with new GM units
- Brand new GM throttle body
- New AC/Delco battery
- Oil pan gasket replacement
- Oil pressure sending unit
- Hood struts
- Hatch struts
- Air filters and oil change
- Headlight covers replaced with RLsebring covers

The Bad:
Has a slight oil leak
Tires are shot. Wheels have curb rash.
Paint is "ok", presentable but with flaws.

Seats completely reupholstered with genuine (real) leather and alcantara (seats were pretty rough of course and a friend who owns an upholstery shop owed me a favor so I had him redo the seats).

I've kept the car garaged but I don't believe the previous owner did.

The clearcoat is in good shape but there is hazing in the paint. The rear bumper has some hairline cracks where it looks like something ht it or the PO backed into something? front bumper has some minor chips/cracking as well. Some scrapes on one side rocker panel.

SO - I have a high mileage 2006 C6 that has never been abused but, was not a garage queen either. I would say "good" shape overall.

What's the consensus on value? Would love to hear opinions on value and a good stating point for sale price?

Also, do you all think it's worth picking up a set of good used C6 wheels/tires off Craigslist for around $500 or, is that throwing good money after bad as it isn't likely to increase the value of the car that much?

Here's a few pic's:

Last edited by VtVette; 06-18-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:34 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,108 Likes on 690 Posts

Good luck with sale. No idea on value but looks like a lot of repairs to pay for before putting a 200k car up for sale.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:42 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
Good luck with sale. No idea on value but looks like a lot of repairs to pay for before putting a 200k car up for sale.
Thanks and yes, in hind sight I should have just sold it as-is but, I restore cars for a living and can't resist the urge to make a car correct before selling it. I did all the work so, no labor just parts.

Very interested to hear any consensus on value. High mile Corvettes seem to be pretty rare.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:07 PM
Dragan187
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At the very most I would say u could get $12,000 for it. However, I think $10,000 is more realistic. With that many miles and in its current state, this vehicle will be bought by a racer to track it. (just my opinion)
Old 06-18-2018, 04:15 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dragan187
At the very most I would say u could get $12,000 for it. However, I think $10,000 is more realistic. With that many miles and in its current state, this vehicle will be bought by a racer to track it. (just my opinion)
Thank you this is exactly in line with my thinking. I figure it would make a great donor for a race project. That's about where I realistically think the value falls as well.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:25 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
I agree w. the above. Even if you did the work yourself, your time is worth quite a bit, and you have a lot in it (even if you got the car for almost nothing).

The trouble, if you call it that is, it's still a 200K mile car with a couple issues. I'll take a WAG and say $10K max. I think you just have to understand that many Corvettes eventually go 250K miles and then some. But not all, and if someone buys the car, the prudent buyer would be thinking/planning if they have enough left over to fix just about anything that goes wrong. Almost all the big things, not incl. engine, are in the $2K range when you factor in labor charges at about $100/hr.

Note: just looked at the other posts. My "guess-timate" was made before I read them.

Last edited by AORoads; 06-18-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:56 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Seems like a lot of work on a car you hardly drove and there are still some things to fix. I'm wondering what your purchase price was. Seems like a car you didn't really want. But it has enough items for any reasonable buyer to ding you over off the asking price including the tires, wheels and paint (tires are somewhere between $1k - $2k and painting could be about $1k. Plus the huge amount of miles. But fixing those before selling it won't necessarily make that money back.

I bought a 2005 base in 2013 with 57,000 and excellent shape for $26k. I just got rid of it about 4.5 years later as a trade in with 73,000 miles and it was recently sold for about $19,000 and it only had curb rash from the previous owner. Tires were still in excellent shape too.

I think the $10k max noted above is maybe a bit generous because, if I were in the market for that particular car, I'd definitely point out the couple grand needed to replace tires and attend to the wheels. That's down to $8k. That's probably more likely.

Sounds like a car that was used but not necessarily cared for that well. If I were you, I'd stop working on it and sell it as-is. It's bound to be bought by a high school kid who will start posting here shortly!

Good luck!
Old 06-19-2018, 12:17 AM
Twin6s
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Based from your description and the amount of work needed, I think 10k is a generous figure. I think you should probably expect to get negotiated down to 8-9k range at most.

A young kid looking for a a fixer upper or someone looking to build a racecar is probably your best hopes. This is the kind of car I will be looking for in a year or so when I go looking for my "race" build.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:26 AM
BLEKVET
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 150 Posts

This is a $7500 car. All the best.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:12 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

I bet it sells for 10k pretty easy
Old 06-19-2018, 04:38 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,425 Likes on 2,792 Posts

On one hand, it has a ton of miles. On the other hand, most people buying a high mileage car can't afford something better and so once you're in that land, prices domt drop off more.

I'd say you could sell it for 15k if you took the time and weeded out the lowballers who will want to deduct for tires and other nonsense on a 200k mile car. 12k if you wanted you sell fast. So IMO ask 16k and go from there, or just keep it and enjoy it.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:54 PM
mhatton222
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

The mileage would be my biggest hang up. I would say $12k if it had new tires and the oil leak fixed. If you put a couple grand in on the tires and oil leak may be worth it. Without, I doubt you would get $10k. Good Luck
Old 06-19-2018, 06:48 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,607 Likes on 2,339 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

I would list at $14k, hope for $12k, and grab anything over $10k.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:52 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Is the rocker panel cracked as it looks like in the picture with the rubbing marks? If so you are looking at a big repair. Depending on your market I would say between $8-10k will be the final price. Wheels/tires are about $800 used. Do you know what the "small" oil leak is? IF it is something simple then I would fix it.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:01 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

I would list at $12K, but be willing to take anything you can live with. If it remains mechanically sound, it would be a great first Vette for someone who doesn't have much cash. It is very possible to get another 100K miles out of it without engine work, and that might appeal to someone.

As for the paint, silver is not terribly glossy anyway, so the next owner might want to do a matte black wrap, which could look pretty cool. A new set of tires from TR can be had for under $700.

There are a lot of things that could be done with this car to give it a new life. For the right person, it could be well worth it.

Where in Vegas are you? I might like to come look at it just for fun. Are you going to buy another Vette?

Last edited by buckmeister2; 06-19-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:07 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

list it high with OBO and have a number in mind you are good with and make the deal...it will sell....ask $13.5 OBO...you can always go down but you can't go up

GLWS
Old 06-20-2018, 11:45 AM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Thanks all for the input and advice. Interesting comments and opinions in this thread.

I think it will do fairly well. As mentioned it's not worn out and doesn't feel "worn out" it's a very solid well driving car. I could see either a race car project or, someone mechanically inclined (especially a mechanic) buying it. It's a C6 with a clean title selling for C5 money.
Sure it will need little things but, overall a very solid car.

Wife and I are away this weekend for her birthday but when I get back I will list it and see how it goes.

"you can always go down but you can't go up" - I remember a very successful businessman saying that to me when I was young. Love that saying!

I'll report back how it goes for anyone who is interested.

Thanks again for all the help!

Last edited by VtVette; 06-20-2018 at 12:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Price check please: 2006 C6 with 198,900 miles

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Price check please: 2006 C6 with 198,900 miles