C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing the stock nav/stereo unit

Old 06-23-2018, 10:21 AM
Northshore3lt
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
For the C6 you can not re-use the factory mic. Also, not sure how he wired the steering wheel controls but my guess is he screwed something up. This is a very simple install with the correct wiring interface (Pac Audio RP5-GM11). If you use OnStar, it is suppose to mute the radio, not turn it off.
Thanks,I'll get them to fix it on Monday
Old 06-23-2018, 10:51 AM
humvet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can we assume that HUD displays for XM, turn directions, etc. go away once the HU is replaced?
Old 06-23-2018, 11:05 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by humvet
Can we assume that HUD displays for XM, turn directions, etc. go away once the HU is replaced?
Yes. No aftermarket hu is compatible with HUD.
The following users liked this post:
humvet (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 11:42 AM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

How is it you have Google Maps? Do you have CarPlay? I can only get Apple Maps on my new head unit.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:21 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
How is it you have Google Maps? Do you have CarPlay? I can only get Apple Maps on my new head unit.
If you have an Android phone, you would use Android Auto instead of Apple CarPlay. In that case, you get google maps.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:30 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
Crutchfield says that does not fit, too deep. ???
Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
Check out the new Pioneer AVIC W8400 NEX. It's a beast and looks like it's factory installed.
Why not get the 8200 NEX? What's 8400 got on it?

Originally Posted by Ken's 05 in Troy
Also looking to upgrade radio/nav unit in my '05 . Really don't need nav -Google works fine from phone.Went on Crutchfield & Newegg sites to compare & Newegg $ are cheaper . Kenwood DDX9704S or DDX9903S same $. if anyone has those units how do you like them ? I'm just looking for better sound quality
Exactly my point. I didn't need a Nav either. But I was getting the 4200NEX from (Azmn, Crutchfield, Eby) for the same price as the 8200 from Newegg. And 8200 is miles ahead of 4200.

...Just saying...
Old 06-24-2018, 01:55 PM
808_Vette
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Got a Sony XAV-V631BT (didn't need NAV) from Crutchfield and couldn't be happier. Sound is good and it connects to my iPhone very quickly. Its also a touchscreen and a digital media player with an input for a rear view camera if so desired. I don't recommend you have Crutchfield do the wiring harness for you because last I checked they were using butt connectors instead of soldering the connections. The install went perfect but I wish I watched the MGW C6 shifter and console removal video on youtube first because its way better than the instructions that Crutchfield provides. Good luck in your search.

Old 06-24-2018, 03:24 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, I assume using either of them uses you cell data for the Nav??
Old 06-24-2018, 06:51 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jeff T.
Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, I assume using either of them uses you cell data for the Nav??
Yes. Either your head unit has built in navigation or you use your phone nav through the head unit via Apple CarPlay and/or Android Auto.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff T. (06-25-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 09:01 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

For the C6 you can not re-use the factory mic.
Yes you can. I had it done on my '13 GS with a Kenwood. Double D mods figured out how to do this a couple of years ago and my installer called him and he told him how to do it. Unfortunately I don't know what he did and I since took out the Kenwood and went back to the Bose/Nav head unit.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:06 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
since took out the Kenwood and went back to the Bose/Nav head unit.
Just curious, why?
Old 06-24-2018, 09:30 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Yes you can. I had it done on my '13 GS with a Kenwood. Double D mods figured out how to do this a couple of years ago and my installer called him and he told him how to do it. Unfortunately I don't know what he did and I since took out the Kenwood and went back to the Bose/Nav head unit.
Well I'm not going to say you are wrong, but without more info your post is not real helpful. And speaking of Double D mods, I just did a search and found about a dozen posts of his where he states that you need to use the mic supplied with the new head unit. If he found a way to re-use the mic, he wasn't sharing it with all of us.

Post #16 in this thread for example,
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...le-d-mods.html
Old 06-24-2018, 09:42 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RobLo
Just curious, why?
In my opinion the Bose amp and speakers definitely clash with Kenwood. The Bose uses difference staging specs to achieve their sound and I did not like the sound the Bose/Kenwood combo produced. Too overdriven and even with the 13 band EQ the Kenwood comes with I could never get a good clean tight sound. Either too tinny or too muddy. After one week I went back to the original Bose/Nav head unit and never regretted it.

Last edited by Oh Boy; 06-24-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:50 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Well I'm not going to say you are wrong, but without more info your post is not real helpful. And speaking of Double D mods, I just did a search and found about a dozen posts of his where he states that you need to use the mic supplied with the new head unit. If he found a way to re-use the mic, he wasn't sharing it with all of us.

Yea unfortunately I don't have info and for all I know my installer could have duped me and hid the mic somewhere and told me the factory one was still working. I only had the Kenwood in for a week and don't remember much.
But he was on the phone with DD and they were talking about the mic. I do know for a fact thou other people have had it done in their Pontiac G-8's with Onstar.

Last edited by Oh Boy; 06-24-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:03 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

In my opinion the Bose amp and speakers definitely clash with Kenwood. The Bose uses difference staging specs to achieve their sound and I did not like the sound the Bose/Kenwood combo produced. Too overdriven and even with the 13 band EQ the Kenwood comes with I could never get a good clean tight sound. Either too tinny or too muddy. After one week I went back to the original Bose/Nav head unit and never regretted it.
Are you sure your installer installed your head unit properly? The only time I ever hear someone say their aftermarket head unit sounded worse than the factory head unit, is when there was an issue with the install or the wrong wiring interface was used. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:00 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Are you sure your installer installed your head unit properly? The only time I ever hear someone say their aftermarket head unit sounded worse than the factory head unit, is when there was an issue with the install or the wrong wiring interface was used. Just my 2 cents.
Yup it was done correctly. RP5-GM-11 plugged in the amplified port. Bose uses specific specs and frequencies to match their head units to their amps and speakers to achieve the sound staging they get. I believe the Kenwood amp and the Bose amp causes a imbalance in the pairing. I can't speak for other aftermarket head units as the Kenwoods are the only units I have ever used or listened to. Believe me I really wanted to like it, it just didn't do it for me personally. I do know sound as I have played a instrument for most of my life. BTW I just put a new Kenwood in my DD 2000 Deville and the sound difference was dramatic (post #11 in this thread) but I have no Bose or premium stereo in my Deville so the Kenwood was able to do it's thing on it's own merits.

Last edited by Oh Boy; 06-24-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:14 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Well today halfway thru a road trip I lost my satellite radio. It's not even an option anymore on the screen. Brand new Pioneer head. Also got an onscreen message saying parking garage brake sensor was disconnected, but I have no idea what that's for.

Get notified of new replies

To replacing the stock nav/stereo unit

Old 06-25-2018, 07:39 AM
Northshore3lt
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Going back to Best Buy this morning to fix the Microphone issue,I'm assuming easy fix.
I am more concerned/annoyed with the issue of pressing phone icon on steering wheel,which causes new unit to lose power,and reboot(old menu voice plays over speakers",please press OnStarbutton",I do not use OnStar
PAC harness was used,other steering wheel controls work fine.
Any suggestions to discuss with tech?
Old 06-25-2018, 02:32 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Northshore3lt
Going back to Best Buy this morning to fix the Microphone issue,I'm assuming easy fix.
I am more concerned/annoyed with the issue of pressing phone icon on steering wheel,which causes new unit to lose power,and reboot(old menu voice plays over speakers",please press OnStarbutton",I do not use OnStar
PAC harness was used,other steering wheel controls work fine.
Any suggestions to discuss with tech?
Any updates? I think it's just the way he wired it (OnStar issue). It should be an easy fix for both issues.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:49 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

One way to do it is to cut the microphone off the end of the Kenwood mic and run the wire up to the factory microphone. Cut the factory connector off and solder the Kenwood wire to the factory mic. You would lose OnStar doing this but everything on the new HU that requires voice should work.
This is the factory microphone.

There was an upgrade to the microphone by GM later on but it still has the same connector on it.

Last edited by EVRose; 06-25-2018 at 02:52 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: replacing the stock nav/stereo unit