C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing the stock nav/stereo unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 09:39 AM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Wow! Good to know.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:10 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 897 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Today I had my installer put in a Kenwood DNX874S Mutimedia Receiver with built-in Garmin Nav in my 2011 GS.

Here is what I found out today after getting this head unit installed that does not make me happy ...

In my other car, I have mobile Garmin "Drive 60LM" GPS. This GPS can be moved from one car to the next if needed. This GPS comes with free map upgrades for life. Usually a new map update comes out about once every 6 months.

So, since my Garmin "Drive 60LM" GPS has free map updates, I thought that the Garmin Nav in my new Kenwood head unit would too .... WRONG !

I just checked today to see if there was an update now available for my new Kenwood / Garmin .... Yup, there sure is .... and it costs $70 to download it !

I had no idea ! !

Kenwood, Mutimedia Receiver with Garmin Nav . . . DNX874S

6.95” Motorized LCD Capacitive Touch Screen

Built-In Garmin GPS and HD Radio Tuner

Plays CD, DVD, SD and USB Flash Drives

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Compatible

Pandora, Spotify and Sirius XM Ready

Bluetooth Hands-Free Calling and Audio Streaming

13-Band Equalizer with Digital Signal Processing

Front and Rear Camera Inputs

Yes, this has completely turned me off on the Kenwoods. I don't understand why they will sell a stand alone GPS for under $100 with free lifetime map updates but insist on screwing everyone who spends substantially more on a premium head unit. It's not like the map updates are trivial, I update my standalone unit about twice a year because I drive through some areas that have major road construction projects going on year after year. With the old maps the unit thinks you are 4-wheeling and keeps telling me to "drive to the highlighted route".

How current are the maps in your new unit? I know the 2 standalone units I've bought over the last 20 years came with very old maps so an update right away was pretty much manditory.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:38 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

Now I'm glad I bought the non Nav. kenwood unit. $70 for an update??? that should be illegal. I plan to just use google maps or Waze as I have in the past, but hopefully through android auto.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:46 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,954 Likes on 941 Posts

I just installed a Pioneer unit with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto - here is my post about it: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...h-2330nex.html
Old 04-18-2019, 08:54 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,086 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by dr_gallup

yes, this has completely turned me off on the kenwoods. I don't understand why they will sell a stand alone gps for under $100 with free lifetime map updates but insist on screwing everyone who spends substantially more on a premium head unit. It's not like the map updates are trivial, i update my standalone unit about twice a year because i drive through some areas that have major road construction projects going on year after year. With the old maps the unit thinks you are 4-wheeling and keeps telling me to "drive to the highlighted route".

how current are the maps in your new unit? i know the 2 standalone units i've bought over the last 20 years came with very old maps so an update right away was pretty much manditory.
2016 ...
Old 04-18-2019, 11:58 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

FYI, I spoke to Crutchfield about the map updates for Kenwoods, and in addition to the cost, Garmin says they will only guarantee map updates will be made for five years from when the model is released. After that, you may not be able to get updates for it at any price. Crutchfield thinks it may depend on how many of a particular model are sold.

So just be aware, after 5 years you may not be able to update your Kenwood at all.
The following users liked this post:
Turbo6TA (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 01:29 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I know with my Pioneer unit, they offered 1 free map update within 30 days of purchase if I remember correctly. I am kind of surprised that Kenwood and Garmin don't offer a similar map update so that the unit can at least be up to date at time of purchase and install. As far as updates after 5 years, I wouldn't really be concerned about that. As long as Kenwood and Garmin continue their relationship, I would assume that you will be able to continue to get updates after the 5 year mark. With Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, built in navigation is becoming less and less of a selling point for head units. I still prefer to have built in navigation, even though in my case I almost never use it.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:41 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 897 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by CSixDude
FYI, I spoke to Crutchfield about the map updates for Kenwoods, and in addition to the cost, Garmin says they will only guarantee map updates will be made for five years from when the model is released. After that, you may not be able to get updates for it at any price. Crutchfield thinks it may depend on how many of a particular model are sold.

So just be aware, after 5 years you may not be able to update your Kenwood at all.
Just like the factory NAV, last update was 2016.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:27 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
As far as updates after 5 years, I wouldn't really be concerned about that. As long as Kenwood and Garmin continue their relationship, I would assume that you will be able to continue to get updates after the 5 year mark.
Don't make that assumption. Crutchfield called Garmin and was told that Garmin would not be offering updates beyond the 5 year mark for some of the Kenwood models.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:42 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by CSixDude
Don't make that assumption. Crutchfield called Garmin and was told that Garmin would not be offering updates beyond the 5 year mark for some of the Kenwood models.
They are not going to promise you on going infinite support. There are no guarantees regardless. Even if they offered 20 years, companies go out of business. A lot depends on if Kenwood and Garmin continue their relationship in the future and the terms of their future agreements. So I guess we can't really say for sure either way. If sales drop on navigation units, maybe they end their relationship. Imo, most people are better off with a unit without navigation anyway. With Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, built in navigation becomes redundant and probably effects sales of navigation head units. I have it in my Pioneer, but it was a personal preference for me since my car had factory navigation. For most I would recommend an aftermarket head unit with out the built in navigation.

Quick Reply: replacing the stock nav/stereo unit