C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Grand Sport Seat Ripping

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 04:11 PM
mabunn
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Grand Sport Seat Ripping

There is something pressing through the left side of the drivers seat and it is causing the leather to split. I suspect I can repair the rip or replace the seat cover but I need to figure out root cause before repairing the seat.
Pictures are attached.

BTW, Are there leather seat covers I can purchase to replace the one I have?

Really appreciate your help!
Thanks much,

Mabunn
Old 06-20-2018, 06:06 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

My guess would be it's something to do with the side bag configuration. I can feel something hard behind mine also and have always been afraid of what it may do to the seat cover.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:12 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,768 Likes on 4,218 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

My seat foam had a hole in it right there and the hard plastic curved part of the seat back was poking through the foam. I'd purchase new foam part # 19330722 (heated seats) or 19330724 (non-heated) $75.57. I would also wrap felt around that curve in the plastic seat back when you put on your new foam. The seat cover is part # 19250672 (heated) $173.96 or 19250652 (non-heated) $159.14. I'm assuming those are cashmere by the picture?

Btw - the new seat foam has a section of cloth woven into it right at that exact spot to help prevent this. My stock foam did not have that cloth piece woven in.

Driver seat in the back, you can see the rip in the foam from the curved part of the seat back.

Last edited by JABCAT; 06-20-2018 at 06:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (06-22-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 06:32 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

It’s from getting g in and out of the seat. Your not doing it right.
Or the previous owner wasn’t.just sayin
Old 06-21-2018, 10:36 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ptroxx
It’s from getting g in and out of the seat. Your not doing it right.
Or the previous owner wasn’t.just sayin
Yes....these C-6 seats are so cheap that they require using caution when entering or exiting, but under normal circumstances and with a reasonably quality seat, there really isn't a wrong way to get in and out of a seat.....short of standing in it with you feet first.....LOL......
Old 06-21-2018, 11:21 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Originally Posted by windyC6
Yes....these C-6 seats are so cheap that they require using caution when entering or exiting, but under normal circumstances and with a reasonably quality seat, there really isn't a wrong way to get in and out of a seat.....short of standing in it with you feet first.....LOL......

this is is a good example oh the correct way to get into the car

The following 2 users liked this post by ptroxx:
03CARISMA (06-26-2018), jh61408 (06-30-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 09:27 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

http://youtu.be/DQK7ukX19LQ
"It's about $1,000 to fix this leather cover" Typical car salesman, the cover is only $200 on a C7 non-sport seat. Just pointing out - don't take it to the dealership to have repaired.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:16 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

http://youtu.be/DQK7ukX19LQ
I've been getting in and out using the apparently "incorrect" way for all my life. 10 1/2 years of a C6 and 153 K miles, hasn't even come close to showing wear, let alone damage.
Damage comes more from the size of the butt than method the butt uses.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:59 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I've been getting in and out using the apparently "incorrect" way for all my life. 10 1/2 years of a C6 and 153 K miles, hasn't even come close to showing wear, let alone damage.
Damage comes more from the size of the butt than method the butt uses.
I’m sorry. But it’s not the size of the butt. Is how you plant it.
And when you wear jeans it’s worse. Seen it a lot.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:45 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

It seems that the poor quality of these seats doesn't care about the size of the butt. Especially the bolster area. I don't think it matters if the butt is connected to a 300 pound body, or is connected to a 125 pound body. If you slide in and out directly over the outside bolster it is gonna break down quicker than you can say CHEAP !!!!.....
Old 06-22-2018, 11:01 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Guess we we can blame the way someone enters and exits their car on poor quality. What the heck it’s friday.
There’s 10’s of thousands that do not have bolster issues. And that’s because they don’t rub their butt against the bolster.
I catch myself doing it from time to time. But my seat already had the rub from previous owner so. Good thing the seat covers are cheap.

It seems that the poor quality of these seats doesn't care about the size of the butt. Especially the bolster area. I don't think it matters if the butt is connected to a 300 pound body, or is connected to a 125 pound body. If you slide in and out directly over the outside bolster it is gonna break down quicker than you can say CHEAP !!!!.....
Old 06-22-2018, 11:04 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Key word "slide'. If you lift your butt above the seat edge vs slide it across, you won't wear out the edges.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:20 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Key word "slide'. If you lift your butt above the seat edge vs slide it across, you won't wear out the edges.
this is the key. Like in the video I turn completely into the seat and not slide down. I’ve watched bigger guys do this with great ease And some just fall right into the bolster and roll down the seat Lolol. Yeah not so much lol.

Youll notice some seats have a blue color to them from men’s jeans too.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:01 PM
CBRDude
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That section is actually vinyl and not leather! The only portion that's actually leather is the face of the seat. The rest is what I call pleather. (Plastic imitation leather)

That hard object you feel is the frame poking through the foam. the frame has poked through from getting in and out incorrectly. Also it's not very good material anyway! So it's not all your fault or the previous owner if one applies.

You can also set the set for easy exit at least that's an option for mine. The only issue I see is that the constant in and out wears on the electric seat track gears and you know what happens next? Worn out parts. Remember it's not a Lexus, it's a GM (Government Motors or Guaranteed Maintenance).

You should replace that foam piece as well while you have the seat apart.

There are plenty of you tube vids showing how to do it. Someone above has provided part numbers. Mine have the C6 logo's on the headrest and I'm having a hell of a time finding the covers. I'm think about going without the logo headrest. I've taken mine to a shop but they are telling me they can't guarantee the color match.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:56 AM
mabunn
4th Gear

Really appreciate your response and advice. I will definitely look for the thread with parts.

Have a great weekend,
Michelle
Old 06-23-2018, 12:14 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by mabunn
Really appreciate your response and advice. I will definitely look for the thread with parts.

Have a great weekend,
Michelle
I provided the part #s for you up in post 3 before everyone decided to derail this thread into arguing about how to get into the car.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:11 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Originally Posted by JABCAT

I provided the part #s for you up in post 3 before everyone decided to derail this thread into arguing about how to get into the car.

you call it derailing.
I call it, the question was answered appropriately so someone added a way to avoid this happening for the OP when he does fix it with said parts. and the next person hopefully will use the search button and not start a new thread. Lolol.

oh and the OP did ask for the Root of the problem. So wasn’t really a derail. Just sayin. LOL. Boot be made at us because the OP ignored your post. Lololol.

JK. Many LOL’s.

Last edited by ptroxx; 06-23-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2012 Grand Sport Seat Ripping

Old 06-23-2018, 04:10 PM
mabunn
4th Gear

Default One more boost needed!

[QUOTE=JABCAT;1597446939]
My seat foam had a hole in it right there and the hard plastic curved part of the seat back was poking through the foam. I'd purchase new foam part # 19330722 (heated seats) or 19330724 (non-heated) $75.57. I would also wrap felt around that curve in the plastic seat back when you put on your new foam. The seat cover is part # 19250672 (heated) $173.96 or 19250652 (non-heated) $159.14. I'm assuming those are cashmere by the picture?

Btw - the new seat foam has a section of cloth woven into it right at that exact spot to help prevent this. My stock foam did not have that cloth piece woven in.

Driver seat in the back, you can see the rip in the foam from the curved part of the seat back.

I really appreciate this! I have to look at my sticker from when I bought it 5 years ago to see what the color is.

Do you have a recommendation on where you prefer to buy parts like these?

I'm an engineer by trade, so I suspect I can do this myself. Are you aware of any utube or instructions you have seen published in the past the would provide me some guidance?

Really appreciate you!

Old 06-24-2018, 01:33 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

I purchased my seat foam from chevynationparts.net (those were the prices I quoted above). You can fix this yourself, getting the seats out is easy & swapping the seat covers isn’t too bad either, I’ve done it a few times now in the last few months - you can find my posts on here.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:18 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRDude
That section is actually vinyl and not leather! The only portion that's actually leather is the face of the seat. The rest is what I call pleather. (Plastic imitation leather)

That hard object you feel is the frame poking through the foam. the frame has poked through from getting in and out incorrectly. Also it's not very good material anyway! So it's not all your fault or the previous owner if one applies.

You can also set the set for easy exit at least that's an option for mine. The only issue I see is that the constant in and out wears on the electric seat track gears and you know what happens next? Worn out parts. Remember it's not a Lexus, it's a GM (Government Motors or Guaranteed Maintenance).

You should replace that foam piece as well while you have the seat apart.

There are plenty of you tube vids showing how to do it. Someone above has provided part numbers. Mine have the C6 logo's on the headrest and I'm having a hell of a time finding the covers. I'm think about going without the logo headrest. I've taken mine to a shop but they are telling me they can't guarantee the color match.
take a picture of option codes in your glove box and your vin number to dealer.they will be able to tell you what cover p/n with the crossed flags you will need to order

Last edited by irok; 06-24-2018 at 09:20 AM.

Quick Reply: 2012 Grand Sport Seat Ripping