C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hopefully soon to be C6 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 09:45 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by satown830
I want to meet the engineer of my Honda clutch and beat him.
There's a few designer-engineers at GM needing a horse whipping, too.
Harmonic balancers, fuel system (pumps/sending units) to headlight ballasts to name just 3 PITA items.
Poor component locations = extremely difficult to access = labor $s flying out of the pocket.
Now, add part cost.

As already suggested be patient, be persistent & keep looking.
The C6 in question sounds like a train wreck, IMO,
You're looking for one like you missed, driven by a little old lady & sparingly at that.
They're out there.
Just have to hunt 'em down, AND, be ready w/ checkbook to pounce.
G/L
Old 06-21-2018, 09:52 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeek!! Idler or belt was squeaking? Better check that out.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:42 PM
satown830
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeesh, I don't know if I want to become a Corvette owner after a few of the cars I've seen that are owned by total tools lol. Check out this ad:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...odelCode1=CORV
Old 06-22-2018, 11:28 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

towny...you have a lot of good questions, but you need to drive a couple more C6's to get a better idea of what you want. Saying that it feels like you are getting rear-ended on a WOT downshift makes me think you don't have much experience with High HP cars. The A6 is supposed to downshift into the gear that will allow the greatest amount of power applied to the rear wheels. If you are in a particular sweet spot of RPM's, you will get a kick in the *** when it downshifts.

Squealing from the belt area is likely the harmonic balancer, though could be an idler, or bad belt.

Your comment that price will likely limit you to an '06 is not entirely correct. What will limit you to an 06 is how much you restrict yourself in geographic search area. You said you are using an online site, autotrader, I think it was. Add cars.com, and look nationwide on both. It doesn't mean you have to buy nationwide, but you will not know what is a good price, or not a good price, if you restrict your search area. IMO, you need to "look" (online) at hundreds of cars before you buy your first one. Otherwise, you might overpay, or settle for something you don't really want.

as for that car you looked at...run away, fast. If a person does not care to properly repair a broken panel, which is very visible, what are they not fixing or maintaining that you cannot see?

Last edited by buckmeister2; 06-22-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:33 PM
satown830
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
towny...you have a lot of good questions, but you need to drive a couple more C6's to get a better idea of what you want. Saying that it feels like you are getting rear-ended on a WOT downshift makes me think you don't have much experience with High HP cars. The A6 is supposed to downshift into the gear that will allow the greatest amount of power applied to the rear wheels. If you are in a particular sweet spot of RPM's, you will get a kick in the *** when it downshifts.

Squealing from the belt area is likely the harmonic balancer, though could be an idler, or bad belt.

Your comment that price will likely limit you to an '06 is not entirely correct. What will limit you to an 06 is how much you restrict yourself in geographic search area. You said your are using an online site, autotrader, I think it was. Add cars. com, and look nationwide on both. It doesn't mean you have to buy nationwide, but you will not know what is a good price, or not a good price if you restrict your search area. IMO, you need to "look" (online) at hundreds of cars before you buy your first one. Otherwise, you might overpay, or settle for something you don't really want.

as for that car you looked at. run away, fast. If a person does not care to properly repair a broken panel, which is very visible, what are they not fixing or maintaining that you cannot see?
I was the one that ended the test drive. If someone would not do an alignment, and cover the car with stickers and decals, they had no interest in taking care of the car. I do have experience with higher horsepower cars but the transmission just didn't feel right. That very harsh downshift with a second of shutter before accelerating.

I am searching nationwide to see what pricing is. Also if I find a good enough deal I'll fly over and drive back. I did that with my Honda. Trying to find a V6 6-speed in a fully loaded trim was hard to find.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:48 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

I was the one that ended the test drive. If someone would not do an alignment, and cover the car with stickers and decals, they had no interest in taking care of the car. I do have experience with higher horsepower cars but the transmission just didn't feel right. That very harsh downshift with a second of shutter before accelerating.

I am searching nationwide to see what pricing is. Also if I find a good enough deal I'll fly over and drive back. I did that with my Honda. Trying to find a V6 6-speed in a fully loaded trim was hard to find.

towny, please forgive me...I misread your original comment on the downshift. You are already doing what most of us would suggest. Good luck to you. Let us know if you need opinions...we all have them....
The following users liked this post:
satown830 (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 08:23 AM
Chicago Bob
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

the transmission just didn't feel right. That very harsh downshift with a second of shutter before accelerating.

I believe you have answered your question....no transmission should have shutter.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:51 AM
SK '08
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts

Have you tried CarGurus ? They are better at finding what you want than most other sites. There is a lot of info and filters to use to narrow down your choices. I bought mine last year after seeing it in another state on CarGurus. A clean Carfax history listed on the viewing & seeing and driving it in person sealed the deal ! Good luck & keep doing research, doesn't hurt !
Old 06-24-2018, 10:03 AM
vezePilot
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

I have to recommend CarGurus, as well. There are a lot of 2006 - 2008 Corvettes on there. Even though many are all over the country, I still found the three I could consider right here in town on CarGurus. Absolutely love my Red 2007 3LT A6, great price and mint condition. Somewhere I saw an article or maybe video about C6 Corvette being absolutely best sports car value for $25 grand.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:03 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

I also recommend cargurus, along with cars.com, and autotrader. I often see the same cars on two, or all three. They all have the same filter potential, but CG is a bit easier to use. However, do not pass up on the others, as the car you want might be on that site.

Quick Reply: Hopefully soon to be C6 Owner