C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Information on and about the new LED headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 04:56 PM
Caveman74
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Information on and about the new LED headlights

I am currently the only one that has these on their car. I have been seeing a lot of misinformation being posted about them.

1. The Amber DRLs are always on
2. The White LED DRL Only comes on by itself IF you click down once on the light stick from Auto. These are technically your parking lamps.
3. The White LED stays on With the headlights
4. You can turn off everything by clicking once up from the Auto
5. With the White LED on... They will not turn off if you use your turn signal..
6. You can either have sequence or straight Amber for your turn signal. You unplug the box in back.
7. Ambers go OFF when you pull up your E-Brake

You will need to adjust these when you get them. It's in your best interest to look on how to align HID.

Last edited by Caveman74; 06-21-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:06 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

This is why I really do not know about everyone stating that the "L" light is the DRL. Everyone is stating that this is now true, but why is it not true for you? You're the only one in the US with a set. I can't imagine that the DRLs would be different on your set and we will all be getting a different set where the "L" light is the DRL. Is it even possible for the install to have "gone wrong" and caused you to have the amber lights as your DRLs? That seems really odd.

Definitely somewhat frustrating not knowing 100% for sure. I appreciate all the time you're taking to answer questions and provide info on these lights.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:13 PM
Caveman74
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frankie15
This is why I really do not know about everyone stating that the "L" light is the DRL. Everyone is stating that this is now true, but why is it not true for you? You're the only one in the US with a set. I can't imagine that the DRLs would be different on your set and we will all be getting a different set where the "L" light is the DRL. Is it even possible for the install to have "gone wrong" and caused you to have the amber lights as your DRLs? That seems really odd.

Definitely somewhat frustrating not knowing 100% for sure. I appreciate all the time you're taking to answer questions and provide info on these lights.
Thats why I posted this. Tired of seeing false information .
Old 06-21-2018, 05:30 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Caveman74
Thats why I posted this. Tired of seeing false information .
One thing I don't understand is picture 1, 4, 5, and 7 in the Umnitza thread. Note how the car has the white L shaped lights on, but the parking lights are not on. The parking lights can't be on because I believe the side markers illuminate when they are. Is that right?
Old 06-21-2018, 05:36 PM
Caveman74
Instructor

One thing I don't understand is picture 1, 4, 5, and 7 in the Umnitza thread. Note how the car has the white L shaped lights on, but the parking lights are not on. The parking lights can't be on because I believe the side markers illuminate when they are. Is that right?
On my car the Parking lamps are just the white led. And my side markers are on
Old 06-21-2018, 05:38 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Caveman74
On my car the Parking lamps are just the white led. And my side markers are on
Right, that's what I mean. Your set is not matching what the set shown in the Umnitza thread is showing. I find that very odd.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:43 PM
Caveman74
Instructor

Right, that's what I mean. Your set is not matching what the set shown in the Umnitza thread is showing. I find that very odd.
Yeah, because the pin that runs the old parking lights (which are the only semblance of a “DRL” originally) also runs the turn signal - this was the only way to wire the lights without re-wiring the car.

So basically the best suggestion would be to turn the stalk 1 click to make the white LED DRL work.

OR, you can tap the wire that runs that feature into any switched 12V circuit that comes on when the car is running (like radiator fan power or something of that sort) and they’ll turn on automatically when the engine is running
Old 06-21-2018, 06:04 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

So you're thinking there was a modified installation on that yellow GS? That's the only thing that could possibly explain why your results don't match that one.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:37 PM
Caveman74
Instructor

So you're thinking there was a modified installation on that yellow GS? That's the only thing that could possibly explain why your results don't match that one.
Probably so. Our cars dont have enough wires to run an extra set of DRL

Last edited by Caveman74; 06-21-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:59 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

From what I saw in the video of the Yellow GS, it appeared that the lights were not connected to the cars electrical system. I think this is the case since it does not look like anyone was in the car changing the switch setting.
The info that Caveman74 is providing follows how the current setup works.
The turn signal/parking/DRL bulb is 2 filaments, one low power for the parking lamp and a high power for the DRL/Turn signal.

Gary
Old 06-21-2018, 07:38 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SilverC54me
From what I saw in the video of the Yellow GS, it appeared that the lights were not connected to the cars electrical system. I think this is the case since it does not look like anyone was in the car changing the switch setting.
The info that Caveman74 is providing follows how the current setup works.
The turn signal/parking/DRL bulb is 2 filaments, one low power for the parking lamp and a high power for the DRL/Turn signal.

Gary
I agree that I don't think they were connected to the car's electrical system either. You can see a bunch of wiring on the ground near the passenger side when they come back to the front of the car. The side markers also do not light up with the headlights which is a dead giveaway.

Look at screenshots 1,4,5, and 7 in the Umnitza thread though. The side marker lights are on there when he has the headlights on.

I've never been so crazy about lighting, but I feel that this is important haha.

Get notified of new replies

To Information on and about the new LED headlights

Quick Reply: Information on and about the new LED headlights