C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you drive your Vette or just look at it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 04:09 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
It's the "Religion of the HMP," the self-anointed, superior race that posts among us.

The HMPs (high-mileage people) must condemn the normal people (deplorables) because it (apparently) is an unforgivable sin to not drive your C6 to some arbitrary number per year, as set by them. If you don't follow THEIR rules, you are up for ridicule, scorn, hatred, and condemnation. But it does not go both ways. We deplorables just live our lives, leaving others to do as they please.

The minimum miles required per year for salvation, as set by The Chosen Ones, is unknown but we deplorables don't care and we were completely unaware of this juvenile religion until we came to the Corvette Forum. It does not seem to exist ANYWHERE in real life. We do not have the same hatred towards them, and don't really care what they do.

But when school lets out for the summer, the internet is often flooded with loonies so no surprise that this thread popped up again. The HMPs never seem to get their HS diplomas.

There's a good chance I may not look at my Vette today either, so that will be TWO DAYS IN A ROW!

Old 06-24-2018, 04:11 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

One of the cool things about these cars is that it can be _both_ or just _one_ of these things for all the owners. Seriously... how many of us have bought a pickup or a mundane family sedan and even asked like owners the same question posed here? "How many of you bought your Silverado to just look at it?" LOL

But it is obvious by some of these posts that regardless of how the vehicle is used, it brings all of us a lot of enjoyment. I have some guns... I don't shoot them much. Does that make me less of a gun owner? Now that may kids have moved out, I have rooms in our home I don't go into very often and "use." Should I downsize?

Some of us have long commutes and one vehicle, some of us office out of our house and have multiple vehicles. I happen to fall into the latter category. So I have a 16yr old C5 I bought new that just rolled 26k miles, and recently picked up a C6 ZR1. I drive them when I want, and as far as I want.

My son has an '07 coupe, he bought when he was a junior in college. It was his only vehicle for 3 years and it now has 60k miles on it. Doesn't matter how many miles are on these things as long as we are enjoying them, right?

Last edited by WA 2 FST; 06-24-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:11 PM
LimaCharlie
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

I am retired and live in Northwest Oregon. I drive my C6 convertible year around including in the rain. I leave it in the garage when it snows or there is black ice on the roads since there are no chains available for it. I park it as close to the door as possible in parking lots. It is just a nice car.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:22 PM
techmonkey
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Garage kept, daily driven. I haven't had it long but my yearly average is 20-25k.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 05:02 PM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

Weekend ride. I do about 2500 miles/year. I plan to keep my GS forever. It’s 5 years old and still looks new with under 11k miles.

Last edited by GrandSportRob; 06-24-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:16 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Attachment 48347311
Old 06-24-2018, 05:30 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

I am on my 6th Corvette which is a 2013 60th Anniversary 427 Vert. This is probably the one I like the best. It take it out once or twice a week for a short drive if the weather is nice. I am not out to impress anyone, have other vehicles to drive to work and every day use. Nice thing about owning your Corvette is you can do with it as you wish and let the rest of the world go by.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:35 PM
techmonkey
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Not having been on this forum long I had to look that up (HMP). Use your car however you see fit but how about I bought this car used with 50k on it and intend to use the same way I would any other car. It's not collectible and I have more fun driving it than my last car. And btw my lifestyle requires me to drive more than most.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:52 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I hate to look at my car while I'm driving. It just takes too much of my time from texting, shaving, and reading the news.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:04 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

It's a sports car. If I bought a Ferrari, I would park it right next to the Corvette in the garage and I would have 2 cars I barely drive. If I had the room and the budget, I would add a Porsche GT3, Mustang GT350, 70 Mach 1, 69 Camaro, 70 Chevelle, and a few others. All in the garage barely getting driven.

And also, don't forget about a boat and maybe a G6. All of which would barely be getting used.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:15 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
It's a sports car. If I bought a Ferrari, I would park it right next to the Corvette in the garage and I would have 2 cars I barely drive. If I had the room and the budget, I would add a Porsche GT3, Mustang GT350, 70 Mach 1, 69 Camaro, 70 Chevelle, and a few others. All in the garage barely getting driven.

And also, don't forget about a boat and maybe a G6. All of which would barely be getting used.
My motorcycle sat for three years before I sold it.

My boat hasn't seen the water since 2011. Apparently then, I'm not "a real boater."
Old 06-25-2018, 03:14 AM
Awesterbeck
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I put 400 miles on mine today!

Last edited by Awesterbeck; 06-25-2018 at 03:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Awesterbeck:
JerriVette (06-25-2018), Welker1 (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 06:15 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Cool photos! cool car...!

awesome day...

congrats and enjoy!
Old 06-25-2018, 06:45 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I’m on my seventh vette. I’ve had them as daily drivers and weekend drivers. After driving a Cadillac CTS for almost four years and then a Sierra Denali truck for six months I had enough.

I traded my my truck for my current vette and it is my DD.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 10:37 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by vezePilot
I've only had mine less than two weeks. There are excuses to drive it coming out of the woodwork. Like now, we just finished adding sand to some asphalt patch in that rut at the end of the driveway. My front air dam was catching the pavement every time I backed out. Now I need to go out and test the patch. And of course the long way around the scenic route will take at least a half hour ...

Also, for those who say that they do occasionally look at their Corvette, it seems like we should see more photos. It's true, some of you folks may be even older than me, and are concerned that your iPhone will run out of film.
But trust me ... or ask one of the youngins ...

Points taken and well said. Absolutely of course when one (including me) gets a new-to-them C-6 Corvette then they are gonna drive the crap out of it. I would use every excuse under the sun the first several weeks I had mine also. Need a cup of sugar.....both bathrooms are occupied.....etc....etc. But when I noticed that the newness was starting to wear off I would relax and just start driving it when I wanted. Works out much better that way...for me at least......
Old 06-25-2018, 11:09 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by windyC6
Points taken and well said. Absolutely of course when one (including me) gets a new-to-them C-6 Corvette then they are gonna drive the crap out of it. I would use every excuse under the sun the first several weeks I had mine also. Need a cup of sugar.....both bathrooms are occupied.....etc....etc. But when I noticed that the newness was starting to wear off I would relax and just start driving it when I wanted. Works out much better that way...for me at least......
I'm with you 101% on that, windy. New motorcycle, Vette, guitar, computer, whatever, it's human nature to be obsessed with new inanimate objects, and it's also human nature for that obsession to wane as time goes on. But when young, the obsession can last a very long time.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:37 AM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default Drivers

Originally Posted by 45gunner
I belong to a Car Club where many members own Corvettes. Some only take theirs out on Sunday for a short drive and only if it isn't raining. A few, like myself, drive it all the time. In other words, a daily driver. Another friend bought a 1963 Coupe and had a frame up restoration. It took three years. Now it only comes out of his garage for car shows. Seems to me for all the money these cars cost, they should be driven.

Do you drive yours or do you wax it and admire it without doing a lot of driving? If you don't drive it, why not?
+

when I got mine (2009 in 01/2017), it had 98k miles. it is currently 131k miles. this not my daily driver ( I might drive once a week to work ), but usually is on the weekend. I just did a 6k mile trip last month. I would love to drive it everyday, but know that the commute would wear it down. my hope is to get a second 'vette, after I get my first daughter through college ( senior this coming year ).
our family loves to drive. we did several cross country trips when I was a wee lad. visiting on relatives in ohio.
I remember hating it as a kid, but now it appears to be my hobby.
unfortunately, my two daughters don't seem to have the same passion. as do none of their friends either.
we may be a dying breed. if so, i'll enjoy it to the end!

Get notified of new replies

To Do you drive your Vette or just look at it?

Old 06-25-2018, 11:52 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by 45gunner
I belong to a Car Club where many members own Corvettes. Some only take theirs out on Sunday for a short drive and only if it isn't raining. A few, like myself, drive it all the time. In other words, a daily driver. Another friend bought a 1963 Coupe and had a frame up restoration. It took three years. Now it only comes out of his garage for car shows. Seems to me for all the money these cars cost, they should be driven.

Do you drive yours or do you wax it and admire it without doing a lot of driving? If you don't drive it, why not?
i hate, make that loathe, driving in traffic and never with the top down(fish bowl), parking lots, andodging huge pot holes just kills the experience. maybe if i lived in a warmer climate with little traffic i'd be a DD.
i don't wax like i use to-i figured a 1000 coats of wax is probably enough.
i HAVE to just admire it for the 6 months it HAS to sit in the winter
i have two other cars that meet my different needs.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:10 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by TBIRD57
i hate, make that loathe, driving in traffic and never with the top down(fish bowl), parking lots, andodging huge pot holes just kills the experience. maybe if i lived in a warmer climate with little traffic i'd be a DD.
i don't wax like i use to-i figured a 1000 coats of wax is probably enough.
i HAVE to just admire it for the 6 months it HAS to sit in the winter
i have two other cars that meet my different needs.
what car would you rather be dodging pot-holes in?
regarding the weather, while it would not be my consideration, it is high on the list. no way I'd make it, having a nice sitting in the garage for an extended amount of time.
if I want snow, I can get to it within 1-1/2 - 2 hours.
I waited long enough to get my car, I'm not gonna let is sit.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:54 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze

I was wondering what you looked like! Fearsome,

Quick Reply: Do you drive your Vette or just look at it?