C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam & headers MPH? LS3 M6

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 11:31 PM
Pete2k_Z28
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Cam & headers MPH? LS3 M6

Out making my first passes with the new cam and I’m a little disappointed with the MPH. Mods are FIPK w/ Beehive and Vette-Air, Kooks 1 7/8”, NPP. Before the Beehive, Vette-Air, cam and tune (with headers) I ran 112mph in the heat. Today with the cam I’m only running 117. I know the weather is an ideal but I expected at least 120. AFR was a bit lean at 13.0 and timing is 28*, no KR. Cam Kaotik so it’s a pretty beefy cam.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Pete2k_Z28; 06-23-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:42 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

5mph is a good improvement from a cam change. Dont let the internet give you other ideas.
The following users liked this post:
Pete2k_Z28 (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 11:24 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete2k_Z28
Out making my first passes with the new cam and I’m a little disappointed with the MPH. Mods are FIPK w/ Beehive and Vette-Air, Kooks 1 7/8”, NPP. Before the Beehive, Vette-Air, cam and tune (with headers) I ran 112mph in the heat. Today with the cam I’m only running 117. I know the weather is an ideal but I expected at least 120. AFR was a bit lean at 13.0 and timing is 28*, no KR. Cam Kaotik so it’s a pretty beefy cam.

Thoughts?
Just me, but I would be more concerned about ET improvement. Regardless, how was your traction on launch. If you're not hooking clean, I would say you need a taller tire. A taller tire, if it hooks well, will also give you a higher top end.

Last edited by buckmeister2; 06-24-2018 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:45 PM
Pete2k_Z28
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
Just me, but I would be more concerned about ET improvement. Regardless, how was your traction on launch. If you're not hooking clean, I would say you need a taller tire. A taller tire, if it hooks well, will also give you a higher top end.
Thanks! I was not worried about E/T at all, just doing tuning on the old track dyno. Trying to cut a light and a 60' is about the WORST thing you can do when trying to make a consistent pass for tuning. Also, wanted to have as many things identical to my baseline for an accurate comparison as this was really just an A/B test so a taller/different wheel and tire combo would have been a wildcard. I've done the "drag race your street car" thing in the past and honestly all it did was cost me a bunch of money in broken parts and pretty much ruin the enjoyment of a nice street car.

Last edited by Pete2k_Z28; 06-24-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:51 PM
Pete2k_Z28
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
5mph is a good improvement from a cam change. Dont let the internet give you other ideas.
Thanks! Would have expected to be closer to 7-8, but looking at my logs I think I'm pretty much maxed out on timing and adding a few points of fuel didn't seem to change anything, so I'm going to say that's all she's got. I may try swapping the TR-55's back in for the platinum's; I've heard mixed reviews about how well the TR-55's compare with back to back dyno tests. Some cars seem to love them, others, not so much. Other than that, time to just enjoy the car!
Old 06-25-2018, 02:40 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Thanks! Would have expected to be closer to 7-8, but looking at my logs I think I'm pretty much maxed out on timing and adding a few points of fuel didn't seem to change anything, so I'm going to say that's all she's got. I may try swapping the TR-55's back in for the platinum's; I've heard mixed reviews about how well the TR-55's compare with back to back dyno tests. Some cars seem to love them, others, not so much. Other than that, time to just enjoy the car!
Without knowing the DA and the 60' times for consistency, I'd have little faith in relying on MPH numbers for comparisons. Back when I was bone stock plus a propped shroud, I was 115-117 MPH in 1200-1900' DA. Now I'm 124-126 MPH in similar DA with only bolt-ons. The 60' times went from 2.0 to 1.5. I only make tuning changes after reviews of all the data from 2 or 3 sessions and then compare that to previous multiple sessions. Tuning during a single session has too many variables for me to make changes using limited data.

You might try another session without any changes to the car or tune for a DA adjusted comparison that'll show a better picture for you.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:55 AM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Thanks! I was not worried about E/T at all, just doing tuning on the old track dyno. Trying to cut a light and a 60' is about the WORST thing you can do when trying to make a consistent pass for tuning. Also, wanted to have as many things identical to my baseline for an accurate comparison as this was really just an A/B test so a taller/different wheel and tire combo would have been a wildcard. I've done the "drag race your street car" thing in the past and honestly all it did was cost me a bunch of money in broken parts and pretty much ruin the enjoyment of a nice street car.
didn't know you were just running for tune specs. Agreed that you would not want to throw in more variables.

Last edited by buckmeister2; 06-25-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:42 PM
Pete2k_Z28
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
didn't know you were just running for tune specs. Agreed that you would not want to throw in more variables.
No worries! I actually thought I put that in the post but now that I re-read it I see I didn't. Actually posted that from the staging lanes before my last pass.... it was hot and I was tired!

Get notified of new replies

To Cam & headers MPH? LS3 M6

Quick Reply: Cam & headers MPH? LS3 M6