C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1>4 shift light

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 08:51 PM
mkitt27
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Hmmm, I heard of this and once in a while see the 1->4 light pop up and then back off, but have never experienced it blocking my shifting. Maybe the previous owner did a fuse thing. I've had my C6Z06 for a few months now.
Or, could be that since this is my first V8 performance car and I am used to high revving cars that my driving habits keep my out of the 1->4 conditions. In my other sports cars I was not often below 3000rpm and rarely if ever below 2000. Think of this - in my S2000 the overall drive ratio in 6th is nearly the same as 3rd gear in the Z - wow. In the S2000 taking it easy upshifts were at 5-6000, and having a go at it was at 8000.
Now, in the Corvette I don't have to rev so much to get going, but I still don't upshift from first or second gear until I'm over 3000rpm. And I live in a sleepy suburban neighborhood. then again maybe the neighbors complain about me but don't say anything ? k
Old 06-25-2018, 09:25 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by mkitt27
Hmmm, I heard of this and once in a while see the 1->4 light pop up and then back off, but have never experienced it blocking my shifting. Maybe the previous owner did a fuse thing. I've had my C6Z06 for a few months now.
Or, could be that since this is my first V8 performance car and I am used to high revving cars that my driving habits keep my out of the 1->4 conditions. In my other sports cars I was not often below 3000rpm and rarely if ever below 2000. Think of this - in my S2000 the overall drive ratio in 6th is nearly the same as 3rd gear in the Z - wow. In the S2000 taking it easy upshifts were at 5-6000, and having a go at it was at 8000.
Now, in the Corvette I don't have to rev so much to get going, but I still don't upshift from first or second gear until I'm over 3000rpm. And I live in a sleepy suburban neighborhood. then again maybe the neighbors complain about me but don't say anything ? k
If you're seeing the light but don't shift until the light goes off, then you're running through the enable speed and through past the disable speed. Once past the disable speed which many have referred to as an RPM range, the CAGS shuts back off again. Next time, hold the speed when you see the light. Make sure the light is on, then try the shift. If you make it into 2nd, then you either have the fuse or the trans bypass harness. The harness is easy to spot right at the trans where the electrical connector is. There were a few different fuse designs so don't know what to tell you to look for there (I'm not that much a fuse fan and more the trans harness if tune is not an option).

C6s are really getting old now. Not that many original owners anymore, and the CAGS bypass, in one form or another, was (is) wildly popular. Very likely if you have a used C6 manual it has one form of bypass or another.
The following users liked this post:
mkitt27 (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 09:33 PM
mkitt27
Racer

Thanks Blindspot. I'll try that out. Initially assumed I was driving through the criteria, then as I was writing the above realized the PO may have done the fuse. Will be interesting to find out.

Both my cars are 2008 models. Both new to me and were well taken care of so seem new... but you're right they are not new and I'm not the first owner!!
Old 06-26-2018, 09:45 PM
mkitt27
Racer

OK I tried driving reallllly slooooowly today and was able to get the 1->4 light to come on, shifted, and was directed to 4th. So, mine isn't bypassed. However I have to drive so slowly to engage it I cannot imagine spending $3. to disable it. It was really hard to engage and took several tries. I don't drive that fast or crazy, but I suppose I do get doing faster than most other commuters.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:50 PM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,119 Likes on 609 Posts

I have the fuse, but been tuned since then... hell i actually need to pull that thing out
Old 06-29-2018, 01:00 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
I with you. I don't agree with the more throttle method. I want to shift when I want to shift. End of story. Even though it would not happen very often, why should I have to adjust the way I drive to try an avoid the skip-shift when I can just eliminate it and never have to worry about it again.
The feature makes you shift from 1st, to 4th. So why don't you want to shift to 4th gear? And if you don't want to give it more gas, why not just stay in 1st gear? Just curious.

On the very rare times when I prematurely try to shift and 2nd gear is blocked, my car allows me to go to 3rd gear. Some days I purposely shift from 1st, to 4th gear to see if I get better mileage.. It's not so bad, but I don't think a tank of gas goes further from doing it.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:30 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

I've had a few cars with this "feature," and our friend's C6 has it.

It's usually not a problem for accelerating, as generally I'm above (or sometimes below, more on this to follow) the speed threshold when I shift.

The one time it can be an issue is in stop and go traffic. My strategy then is, use 2nd gear. It won't try to force a shift if you're in 2nd. These things have plenty of torque to take off in 2nd gear unless you're on a steep hill, and stop and go traffic is generally on Interstate highways in the city, where the hills aren't that steep.

If You absolutely have to get rid of the feature, you can have it tuned out, or you can use one of the suggested kits or parts to disable the solenoid.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:53 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by ByRiver
The feature makes you shift from 1st, to 4th. So why don't you want to shift to 4th gear? And if you don't want to give it more gas, why not just stay in 1st gear? Just curious.

On the very rare times when I prematurely try to shift and 2nd gear is blocked, my car allows me to go to 3rd gear. Some days I purposely shift from 1st, to 4th gear to see if I get better mileage.. It's not so bad, but I don't think a tank of gas goes further from doing it.
When I'm going to 2nd and it's blocked, it's already too late to give it more gas since the shifter is no longer in first. The reason I don't like the feature, is because it always happens at the most inopportune time like when driving in a parking lot. I don't want to be giving it more gas in first in a parking lot and shifting to 4th is not ideal in those circumstances. I also sometimes skip gears on my own, but I want it to be by choice not force. Regardless, for me, I have had the feature eliminated first with the fuse, but also have since tuned it out with the Diablo Intune. The whole point of having a M6 is because I want to have control over the shifting. The fact that GM could avoid a gas guzzler tax or improve mileage figures with the feature is great, but it's not a really practical feature in real world circumstances.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:22 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

When I'm going to 2nd and it's blocked, it's already too late to give it more gas since the shifter is no longer in first. The reason I don't like the feature, is because it always happens at the most inopportune time like when driving in a parking lot. I don't want to be giving it more gas in first in a parking lot and shifting to 4th is not ideal in those circumstances. I also sometimes skip gears on my own, but I want it to be by choice not force. Regardless, for me, I have had the feature eliminated first with the fuse, but also have since tuned it out with the Diablo Intune. The whole point of having a M6 is because I want to have control over the shifting. The fact that GM could avoid a gas guzzler tax or improve mileage figures with the feature is great, but it's not a really practical feature in real world circumstances.
Two choices there.

When I drive our friend's C6, and when I drove earlier vehicles I owned with this "feature," I started in 2nd gear a lot. 2nd gear starts are fine in a flat (mostly level) parking lot. That avoids the entire issue. In stop and go city traffic, again, just shove the thing in 2nd and forget about it. Use clutch and brake as appropriate, but don't touch the shifter. It's not hard, and it really doesn't wear the clutch any more than fumbling around the 1→4 skip shift junk. If you're shifting 1st to 2nd, and back, all over the parking lot or in the stop and go traffic, you're probably wearing the clutch just as much as you would just starting in 2nd and forgetting about the shifter until you're on a more open road.

The other choice is disable the solenoid with one of the kits, or the fuse substitution trick.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:28 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
Two choices there.

When I drive our friend's C6, and when I drove earlier vehicles I owned with this "feature," I started in 2nd gear a lot. 2nd gear starts are fine in a flat (mostly level) parking lot. That avoids the entire issue. In stop and go city traffic, again, just shove the thing in 2nd and forget about it. Use clutch and brake as appropriate, but don't touch the shifter. It's not hard, and it really doesn't wear the clutch any more than fumbling around the 1→4 skip shift junk. If you're shifting 1st to 2nd, and back, all over the parking lot or in the stop and go traffic, you're probably wearing the clutch just as much as you would just starting in 2nd and forgetting about the shifter until you're on a more open road.

The other choice is disable the solenoid with one of the kits, or the fuse substitution trick.
Well, that's my whole point. Why do I, or anyone else, have to make adjustments to the way we want to drive when I can just by-pass the feature for a few dollars and save myself from ever being bothered again.

I'm just making the argument against letting the 1-4 shift dictate your driving habits. If you are trying to avoid the 1-4 skip shift, then that tells me you don't like it and for a few dollars you can eliminate it. In my post I mention that I have eliminated it already, but it just seems like an easy decision to do it and be done with it.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 06-29-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:37 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The 'smart-***' answer to the OP's problem ....

Get a C6 with the automatic transmission !

The following users liked this post:
C6_Racer_X (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 01:41 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Well, that's my whole point. Why do I, or anyone else, have to make adjustments to the way we want to drive when I can just by-pass the feature for a few dollars and save myself from ever being bothered again.

I'm just making the argument against letting the 1-4 shift dictate your driving habits. If you are trying to avoid the 1-4 skip shift, then that tells me you don't like it and for a few dollars you can eliminate it. In my post I mention that I have eliminated it already, but it just seems like an easy decision to do it and be done with it.
I agree with you...and others too though, about the frequency 1/4 shows up. Before I shut off CAGS, I found that it was infrequent it was an issue, but it was annoying when the car did something I didn't intend it to do.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:50 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

I guess it's all in your past experiences. I learned to drive a stick on early VW GTIs. I had several over the years, and with 3.45:1 first gear and a 3.94:1 of 4.25:1 final drive, using 2nd in stop and go traffic was more comfortable in those. I also had a big full sized truck for many years with a very low first gear and 4.10:1? (maybe 4.11:1) rear gears. That one I pretty much started in 2nd unless I was towing a very heavy trailer.

Whatever works for you.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:08 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
I went with the fuse too. Cheap, simple, easy & it works. The problem with the "more throttle" method is that this almost always happens when you are in slow moving traffic and you can't use "more throttle".
This is when it used to bug me all the time. I'm in traffic and I want to shift to second, but Noooooooooooh shift to fourth and lug the engine. The fuse method the eliminator ... just do it.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:20 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

It's not really worth arguing about, but why do you need to shift out of 1st gear in a parking lot? The shift gets blocked if you try to shift under 19 mph. Red line is 6500 RPM.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:09 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ByRiver
It's not really worth arguing about, but why do you need to shift out of 1st gear in a parking lot? The shift gets blocked if you try to shift under 19 mph. Red line is 6500 RPM.
I'm not sure if you are joking or not, but some parking lots are kind of big. And driving around more than a few yards in first is not always practical and a shift to second is sometimes in order?

Truth is, the skip-shift feature probably only engaged on me a total of 4 times before I eliminated it. But it only took one time, the 1st, for me to realize I really didn't like the feature and wanted it gone. Luckily I wasn't the only one who disliked it since there was already a few different products available to eliminate it.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 06-29-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:18 PM
GRCTampa
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 96 Posts

Get a tune and eliminate this annoying feature as well as improving the cars responsiveness and performance. Best mod I've done so far!

Get notified of new replies

To 1>4 shift light

Old 06-29-2018, 10:00 PM
mkitt27
Racer

I suspect the PO tuned or fused mine out... I swear I've engaged it a couple times but the more I try to engage it now it won't no matter how slow I go. That said 1st is pretty tall and often don't get into second until out on the street.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:29 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mkitt27
That said 1st is pretty tall and often don't get into second until out on the street.
I guess you are referring to the parking lot conversation? Since when are parking lots one universal size. Lots of large parking lots around me. Have you guys ever been to a shopping mall? Sometimes they are even mostly empty until you get close to the store front. I don't get what is so strange about shifting to second.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:52 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

I'm not sure if you are joking or not, but some parking lots are kind of big. And driving around more than a few yards in first is not always practical and a shift to second is sometimes in order?

Truth is, the skip-shift feature probably only engaged on me a total of 4 times before I eliminated it. But it only took one time, the 1st, for me to realize I really didn't like the feature and wanted it gone. Luckily I wasn't the only one who disliked it since there was already a few different products available to eliminate it.
So why are you short shifting the car and finding out you wearn't going fast enough to go fast across a large parking lot?

I rolled my eyes at my adult son when he went speeding across a shopping center parking lot on a foggy day when he crashed his car into a light pole. The car was hauled away as scrap. Not sure what speed it took to do that.

Personally, I like winding out my car in a low gear. Sounds pretty cool. My motorcycle can do 97 MPH in first gear. Now that is a blast to do.

Quick Reply: 1>4 shift light