C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 427 60th Anniversary - motor failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 09:08 AM
my60th
Heel & Toe

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default C6 427 60th Anniversary - motor failure

I hope I am in the right discussion area. I am new to this and joined last week and I want to keep everyone in the loop, and any positive help is appreciated. I recently purchased a 2013 427, 60th Anniversary Collectors Edition from CarMax. I love the car. I bought the car in February and put 3,000 miles on it and it now has a bit over 9,000 miles. I had the Chevy dealer inspect it thoroughly before the purchase and they said the car was in great shape. One of the main reasons I was happy with the purchase was CarMax offered a bumper to bumper warranty. Its in with same Chevrolet dealer now diagnosing a low oil pressure issue. They checked the oil and found shavings in the motor and they need to tear down to diagnose further. I know the warranty company is a 3rd party administrator, but I was told to work with the service manager at the Portland CarMax. Chevy service manager was concerned about tear down and coverage and told me he didn't get a good feeling from CarMax service manager. I went to Chevy dealership on Friday and had both the service managers (CarMax and Chevy) on phone together with me. I flat out asked the CarMax manager on the phone that if there was no (misuse or abuse) would there be an issue with coverage. He stated on the phone there shouldn't be. Well, I am allowing Chevy dealership to tear down motor, approx. $1500. A new motor around $12,000. If it does need a motor, chevy service managers will not put a re-manufactured motor in there, they said they would refuse the job, because they felt the car was practically brand new (2013 with low miles). I just hope everyone I am working with is honest, and all goes well, and I can afford to keep my baby.. Thanks, Ray

Last edited by my60th; 06-25-2018 at 09:08 AM.

Popular Reply

08-29-2018, 08:25 AM
my60th
Heel & Toe

OK, Its been awhile, but I have my 427 back!! The total bill was a little over $19,000. It was expected to be around $13,000, but with the help of this web site and some discussion with the mechanic and then viewing each crank rod, he knew we needed to order the rods. At $750 each for titanium, it brought the total up $6,000. They also replaced the intake manifold. The mechanic noticed the the coating on the new rods was a little different than the one on the original rods, he wasn't sure why or if it meant anything. With the cost for some fluids, front end alignment and few miscellaneous things, my out of pocket was $260. I was very very pleased about that. I drove the car home last night, it felt smooth and strong. I thought I would have had some other minor issues with all that the mechanic had to do to get the motor in and out, but so far nothing. I was hoping the AC was good and cold because it has been extremely warm her in southern Maine and it was. The oil pressure is where it should be, temps look good, car shifts the same and steers the same. I commend the service department at the chevy dealership and the CarMax warranty program. I hope this is just a 1 time burp and that I can enjoy thousands of miles out of her. They wanted me to bring car back at 500 miles, but I plan to bring it in around 250 or 300, and then 500 after that. Chevy is giving me 24 months, 24,000 miles for the warranty on their work and parts. After a couple thousand miles I will send the oil out for analysis. This was a bit stressful for me at times, so if anyone on this site ever needs support with something like this, please feel to reach out to me. I will continue to post over the next few months. I keep my fingers crossed and thank everyone here. Pic was taken, the night before my birthday in June, and the day before it entered the shop for repair. Ray
Old 06-25-2018, 09:35 AM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

I used a CarMax warranty at a Subaru dealer for warranty work on an Outback that I bought at Carmax and had no problems at all. The Subaru service guy told me they do work on Carmax cars often and that they are easy to work with. He said the only negative is that you lose a day or two because they have to submit their findings to Carmax for approval before proceeding with the work. Other than that, no worries.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 09:44 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I had to use carmax warranty twice at the dealer and they paid immediately no questions.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:45 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Good chance it is the rods. The rods can rub against each other as the coating wears off. This sends titanium through the motor and into the bearings. Oil pressure is then lost. It is a known issue on that particular year.

Good luck and don't give in. They owe you a motor, or at a minimum a complete rebuild.
Landru (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 09:46 AM
my60th
Heel & Toe

I really appreciate the response. It definitely makes me feel better. Thanks
Old 06-25-2018, 09:48 AM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Hoping the warranties work out for you! Good Luck!
Old 06-25-2018, 10:06 AM
427C62013A
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by my60th
I hope I am in the right discussion area. I am new to this and joined last week and I want to keep everyone in the loop, and any positive help is appreciated. I recently purchased a 2013 427, 60th Anniversary Collectors Edition from CarMax. I love the car. I bought the car in February and put 3,000 miles on it and it now has a bit over 9,000 miles. I had the Chevy dealer inspect it thoroughly before the purchase and they said the car was in great shape. One of the main reasons I was happy with the purchase was CarMax offered a bumper to bumper warranty. Its in with same Chevrolet dealer now diagnosing a low oil pressure issue. They checked the oil and found shavings in the motor and they need to tear down to diagnose further. I know the warranty company is a 3rd party administrator, but I was told to work with the service manager at the Portland CarMax. Chevy service manager was concerned about tear down and coverage and told me he didn't get a good feeling from CarMax service manager. I went to Chevy dealership on Friday and had both the service managers (CarMax and Chevy) on phone together with me. I flat out asked the CarMax manager on the phone that if there was no (misuse or abuse) would there be an issue with coverage. He stated on the phone there shouldn't be. Well, I am allowing Chevy dealership to tear down motor, approx. $1500. A new motor around $12,000. If it does need a motor, chevy service managers will not put a re-manufactured motor in there, they said they would refuse the job, because they felt the car was practically brand new (2013 with low miles). I just hope everyone I am working with is honest, and all goes well, and I can afford to keep my baby.. Thanks, Ray
I hate to hear this, so far I have not had any engine problems. What's the last four digits of your VIN #? Mine is 1665 with 6300 miles. Another guy on here had a 2013 427 that lost his motor with bad rod bearings last fall.

Last edited by 427C62013A; 06-25-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:17 AM
my60th
Heel & Toe

Last 4 digits = 1884
Old 06-25-2018, 11:39 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by 427C62013A
I hate to hear this. What's the last four digits of your VIN #? Mine is 1665 with 6300 miles. Another guy on here had a 2013 427 that lost his motor with bad rod bearings last fall.
Not all CE LS7s had this problem, like the well known valve failures it happened w/ some, not others.
w/ CEs it happened it was always on low mile vehicles ~<10K.
If one does go due to CRs as Mordeth cites, unfortunately it isn't a surprise to anyone familiar w/ LS7s.

Good news you bought a warranty and if LS7's stock w/ no tune, it's a new engine.
Have heard nothing but positive comments re Carmax & their standing behind products/warranty.

Keep thread updated, have a notion a new LS7, installed, will cost a good deal more than $12K.
IF a new engine's installed it'll still have suspect valve train so acquiring rebuilt heads is a wise tack.
Rebuilt heads can be ordered with better guides/valves, reducing likelihood of a failure.

G/L .

my60th (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 01:09 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

If it ends up being the rods or some kind of catastrophic internal failure then they will also need to replace all of the oil lines, replace the oil cooler, replace the oil pump and remove and flush the dry sump tank. The titatium and metal gets EVERYWHERE.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:21 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Speaking from first hand experience, since the car is out of the 36 month warranty there is no GM participation in the fix. GM Customer Service will listen to you and file an incident report but that will be the end of their interest. Very disappointing the position that GM takes on known issues and low milage failures but that is what we have to live with. The fix is out of your pocket.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:53 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Speaking from first hand experience, since the car is out of the 36 month warranty there is no GM participation in the fix. GM Customer Service will listen to you and file an incident report but that will be the end of their interest. Very disappointing the position that GM takes on known issues and low milage failures but that is what we have to live with. The fix is out of your pocket.

Not if he has the Carmax warranty.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:02 PM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

The OP stated that he has a warranty thru CarMax, he should be covered.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:14 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Wouldn't it be 60 months for the powertrain warranty?

What does GM owe someone who bought an out-of-warranty vehicle from a used car dealer?
Old 06-25-2018, 03:43 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by 919cw313
Wouldn't it be 60 months for the powertrain warranty?

What does GM owe someone who bought an out-of-warranty vehicle from a used car dealer?
The powertrain warranty is 100% transferable but it may be out of the 5 year time frame.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:46 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by my60th
I really appreciate the response. It definitely makes me feel better. Thanks
Not long ago, can't recall if it is was in C7 Gen or C6, but there was a CarMax engine blow. It was fully covered by CarMax. That was the same person and time, "we" (me) learned that CarMax also allows service at other places such as dealers. I think it was stated there are two levels of warranty provided by CarMax (I could be wrong), but whichever it was, the total cost was covered, and the work was not done by CarMax---to their credit to know Clint's quote ("a man has to know his limitations")

Good luck, tell us how it all turns out for you.

Note: Well lucky me! I saved the thread. Here it is, it IS about a C6. And there does seem to be more than one level of warranty coverage. The one quoted in this thread by the OP is Max Care by The Warranty Group, whoever they are. Hope it helps you!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-warranty.html

Last edited by AORoads; 06-25-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:05 PM
ValegoC6
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Sent you a PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 427 60th Anniversary - motor failure

Old 06-25-2018, 04:12 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I have seen too many of these threads concerning the 427 motor. In the Z06 section this comes up even more often. It is one of the reasons I went with a GS. The uneasy feeling of waiting for the 427 to pop would of ruined the experience of owning the car for me. I know getting the heads done is always an option on these, but I never wanted to have to consider going that route either.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:00 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
The powertrain warranty is 100% transferable but it may be out of the 5 year time frame.
Right. I was only correcting the post I quoted, not suggesting there was any warranty left. I see it may be read differently.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:51 AM
my60th
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by AORoads
Not long ago, can't recall if it is was in C7 Gen or C6, but there was a CarMax engine blow. It was fully covered by CarMax. That was the same person and time, "we" (me) learned that CarMax also allows service at other places such as dealers. I think it was stated there are two levels of warranty provided by CarMax (I could be wrong), but whichever it was, the total cost was covered, and the work was not done by CarMax---to their credit to know Clint's quote ("a man has to know his limitations")

Good luck, tell us how it all turns out for you.

Note: Well lucky me! I saved the thread. Here it is, it IS about a C6. And there does seem to be more than one level of warranty coverage. The one quoted in this thread by the OP is Max Care by The Warranty Group, whoever they are. Hope it helps you!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-warranty.html
Thankyou for all the information and the thread. I reviewed my CarMax service agreement last night and it seams pretty straight forward. I have seen good reviews. Thanks Again!!

Quick Reply: C6 427 60th Anniversary - motor failure