C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Prime Cooling" aluminum radiator on Amazon

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 02:46 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by zryder07
Corvette Ed- Hope you never cheap out on yours! Agree to disagree but not here! Please remove yourself from this thread if you feel the need to comment anymore with “cheating out” insults or any non helpful comments- we’re all here as a community to help and i clearly got your point!

i am recording my current coolant temps with relation to outside temps and driving conditions. I am interested to see what this gimmick cheaply made China knockoff radiator will do ..LOL
It was "cheaping out." And if you want to post on an open forum, be prepared for opinions that differ from your own.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:59 PM
zryder07
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Removed

Last edited by zryder07; 07-14-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:35 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

I've been through dozens of these "cheaper" discussions and they just get stronger and more personal. No body wins. There are cheaper everything somewhere. Just like there are cheap cars than Corvettes or buying laptops and tablets. You buy what you want and everyone wants to feel they made a good decision. When someone tells them it was a bad one they will get defensive. Human nature. What gets lost in all these back and forth jabs is talking about the features and benefits of a higher end radiator. Most of the time the customer (high end or low end) doesn't ever know the difference.
All of your USA made (not sold or warehoused) aluminum radiators are going to cost between $500-$800 depending on the company and options. The lower ones are most likely going to be imported from China.
Does that make them Junk? No.
Will they fit and cool? Probably
Are the same as DeWitts radiators? No
The reason is in the materials, process, and support. The first major difference is material thicknesses. Now it isn't going to sound like a lot when I start counting thousands of an inch however all this material adds up. In fact, one of the things that we are constantly justifying to racers is why our cores weigh two pounds more than the competitor. DeWitts uses thicker tubes, thicker fin, and thicker header material than any other brand. Most cores will balloon (expand tubes) at 40 psi when DeWitts cores can go to 75 psi. More propaganda can be found HERE if interested. The point is, they are not the same, even if the others fit and work. But above all this, the most important feature is the people and support. I built this company on customer support and my original staff is still there. If you ever do have a problem with DeWitts product, and it does happen, I guarantee you will not be left hanging.

Last edited by Tom@Dewitt; 07-14-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:51 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by zryder07
Removed
Yeah, real nice sending PM's calling me names and cussing me out while your own PM's are blocked. Feel free to put me on ignore. Real mature.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 07-14-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:46 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
I've been through dozens of these "cheaper" discussions and they just get stronger and more personal. No body wins. There are cheaper everything somewhere. Just like there are cheap cars than Corvettes or buying laptops and tablets. You buy what you want and everyone wants to feel they made a good decision. When someone tells them it was a bad one they will get defensive. Human nature. What gets lost in all these back and forth jabs is talking about the features and benefits of a higher end radiator. Most of the time the customer (high end or low end) doesn't ever know the difference.
All of your USA made (not sold or warehoused) aluminum radiators are going to cost between $500-$800 depending on the company and options. The lower ones are most likely going to be imported from China.
The reason is in the materials, process, and support. The first major difference is material thicknesses. Now it isn't going to sound like a lot when I start counting thousands of an inch however all this material adds up. In fact, one of the things that we are constantly justifying to racers is why our cores weigh two pounds more than the competitor. DeWitts uses thicker tubes, thicker fin, and thicker header material than any other brand. Most cores will balloon (expand tubes) at 40 psi when DeWitts cores can go to 75 psi. More propaganda can be found HERE if interested. The point is, they are not the same, even if the others fit and work. But above all this, the most important feature is the people and support. I built this company on customer support and my original staff is still there. If you ever do have a problem with DeWitts product, and it does happen, I guarantee you will not be left hanging.
Thank you Tom, and rest assured, once I get my supercharger installed, a DeWitts radiator is going to be part of the package. No Chinese knock-offs for me. I don't cheap out when it comes to my Corvette.

The following users liked this post:
jkaissar (10-09-2022)
Old 07-15-2018, 02:16 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Tom,
I know you have a great rep here and build great stuff. In my case you were the first one I thought of, but at the moment budgetary concerns have to come first. We're having some seriously hot days here and at freeway speed mine was running at 215-220 on the wimpy stock radiator. I figure if this holds me over for a year and does a decent job of keeping the engine cool then next summer I'll be in better shape and can buy a proper radiator from you.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:18 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I put a Dewitt’s on my previous Vette ( 95 ) and the cooling was amazing. I had that car when I moved to Florida and the temps were cooler than stock. It’s a very well made radiator. I would not hesitate to get one on any Vette. It cost more but to me it was worth it. No real modifications as it dropped right in.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:03 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mcm95403
Tom,
We're having some seriously hot days here and at freeway speed mine was running at 215-220 on the wimpy stock radiator. .
That's actually normal. Newer cars and trucks are designed to run in this range. My 2016 sierra runs at 240 no matter what the outside temperature is.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:31 AM
harleypower69
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DeWitts has every option and some that GM didn't offer. It really comes down to how many internal coolers you want or need that determines the model. The radiators are all the same just the cooler options changes from none, to one, or two.
Two row core (1.0" wide tubes)
  • Direct Fit Upgrade-No modifications
  • No gaskets or plastic tanks
  • Billet aluminum end tanks with no fabrication seams
  • 7-plate (TOC & EOC) coolers where applicable
  • Factory Quick connect transmission fittings included
  • 100% assembled, brazed, and welded in USA
  • Proven design over 10 years running
Here is the page that calls out the applications
DeWitts C6 Direct Fit

Normally DeWitts only has one sale per year because of a stocking dealer network but if there was enough interest in a group purchase (say 12-15 people) I could talk to them about making a special summer offer to C6ers. I sold the company three years ago and retired so this is no longer my decision but I can go to bat for y'all.

Oh, and there all shortened versions (cut down) available for those needing extra blower clearance over the top. Here
Tom, I own a 2011 GS A6 here in Arizona. The car always ran hot since I purchased it. My friend, Parker, suggested I buy your radiator with both TOC and EOC. Best addition to this car ever. The dual electric fans and your fine radiator keep my car cool even in 112 degree temperatures stuck in traffic on the highway for 1.5 hours with zero movement. I put transmission in Neutral, ran the A/C and waited patiently. It never went over 203 degrees. In the past it would have been North of 225 degrees. Excellent R&D and love the DeWitt products, none finer.
Thank-you,
Chris
Old 07-15-2018, 04:45 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by harleypower69
Excellent R&D and love the DeWitt products, none finer.Thank-you,Chris
No, thank You!
Old 07-15-2018, 07:47 PM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

The only review on this item didn't have a lot of kind words to say. Reviews are helpful.
The following users liked this post:
Corvette_Ed (07-15-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 05:11 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 897 Likes on 584 Posts

3 row and 4 row cores are a china gimmick Click Here for more

If I started a group purchase with a discount would anyone be interested.
I would be if I hadn't already installed one in my '13 GS. I went with the #1139105B with both coolers in it so I could get rid of the oil-to-air cooler.

Last edited by dr_gallup; 07-16-2018 at 05:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-20-2018, 09:11 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Here is a C5 example of what customers are telling us all the time. The only difference is this guy had the ***** to report it.

C5 thread

Last edited by Tom@Dewitt; 07-20-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:01 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Here is a C5 example of what customers are telling us all the time. The only difference is this guy had the ***** to report it.

C5 thread
Yep. That was exactly the point I was trying to make.

Quick Reply: "Prime Cooling" aluminum radiator on Amazon