C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My nightmare - need recommendation!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 02:04 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by kozmatic
Well, the LS376/480 isn't an option now.... the cost for that just went up to $12k. Nowhere near worth it. I need to find another shop to talk to.
it pays to shop around for crate engines.LS3/376 480hp p/n 19370411 $7,256. @ Scoggin Dickey.Cultrag Performance for their holiday sale last week had the LS3 new long block assembly p/n 19256529 available for $4,751+your core.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:06 PM
Northshore3lt
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I totally agree with Ben Z,with rare exceptions most dealerships are just part changers,with limited diagnostic ability.
I don't know you're area at all,but there must be a good independent shop that could do the work better and more reasonably.
Maybe reach out on regional forum?
I don't use dealerships for anything except warranty work,in my past experiences most are not very good.
The following 2 users liked this post by Northshore3lt:
mcm95403 (07-10-2018), Yokesc5 (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 06:04 PM
kozmatic
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So I've decided to go with the LS3 swap. My thinking is this - I'm 99% confident that the issue is in fact a bad lifter based on the sound and the way it instantly started running like crap. There is another bad lifter diagnosis in this forum with a video that has the exact same sound as mine. Thread here. Believe me, when you hear that sound you don't forget it.

Since I believe the lifter is bad, I know enough to know the cam almost certainly has damage and it's a 50/50 proposition at best that it does/doesn't, and there could be other internal damage as well. Due to the cost associated with breaking it down to know for sure, it's a bit of a gamble that I'd end up spending close the same amount on a repair that I'd spend on the swap. Yes, I'm losing out on the cam benefits, but at least there's no question about the fix with the swap and the warranty that comes with it.

I know I could have it towed somewhere and roll the dice on a local specialty shop, but I've NEVER had good results with those places. At least with Chevy there's some accountability and they have to stand behind the work. I'm going to be more than upside down in the car, that's for sure and I'll probably second guess for the life of the car, but whatever. It's just money. In 5 years it won't matter.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:24 PM
Yokesc5
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

That is alot of money to spend without a Full inspection of All related parts, a cam isnt alot, one lifter is less. Just many dollars for the work. Just my take but the ls3 just sitting may sound like a way to go but you need it in, running n tuned,so what does that look like in $. If a cam swap costs the same as a engine, then you are at the wrong shop also did you ask them if they would put in an engine from another place ?
thinking about the swap, they will need to pull the same parts to go on the swap engine as those needed to inspect the cam.

Last edited by Yokesc5; 07-10-2018 at 06:32 PM. Reason: addl info
Old 07-10-2018, 06:40 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by kozmatic
So I've decided to go with the LS3 swap. My thinking is this - I'm 99% confident that the issue is in fact a bad lifter based on the sound and the way it instantly started running like crap. There is another bad lifter diagnosis in this forum with a video that has the exact same sound as mine. Thread here. Believe me, when you hear that sound you don't forget it.

Since I believe the lifter is bad, I know enough to know the cam almost certainly has damage and it's a 50/50 proposition at best that it does/doesn't, and there could be other internal damage as well. Due to the cost associated with breaking it down to know for sure, it's a bit of a gamble that I'd end up spending close the same amount on a repair that I'd spend on the swap. Yes, I'm losing out on the cam benefits, but at least there's no question about the fix with the swap and the warranty that comes with it.

I know I could have it towed somewhere and roll the dice on a local specialty shop, but I've NEVER had good results with those places. At least with Chevy there's some accountability and they have to stand behind the work. I'm going to be more than upside down in the car, that's for sure and I'll probably second guess for the life of the car, but whatever. It's just money. In 5 years it won't matter.
Chevrolet has near zero accountability for their products and will squeek out on anything they can. Don't believe just cause you dropped a ton of money they'll do a damn thing for you.

Second, I have yet to see one photo confirming the diagnosis you gave us and you don't seem experienced mechanically to know either. Lots of stuff could sound similar to a bad lifter bearing, even simple fix stuff. Down coil pack, broken plug, intake gasket leak, broken pushrod, rocker, valve spring, lifter cup, etc.

So I ask, again, what was done to give you a definitive diagnoses of a lifter failure?

Last edited by Shaolin Crane; 07-10-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:07 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane
Chevrolet has near zero accountability for their products and will squeek out on anything they can. Don't believe just cause you dropped a ton of money they'll do a damn thing for you.

Second, I have yet to see one photo confirming the diagnosis you gave us and you don't seem experienced mechanically to know either. Lots of stuff could sound similar to a bad lifter bearing, even simple fix stuff. Down coil pack, broken plug, intake gasket leak, broken pushrod, rocker, valve spring, lifter cup, etc.

So I ask, again, what was done to give you a definitive diagnoses of a lifter failure?

I asked twice earlier in the thread, still waiting . . .
Old 07-10-2018, 07:21 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by torquetube
$8K for a factory crate motor installed sounds like a good deal.
I agree, 8k for a new LS3 with a warranty installed for that price? That would be my choice along with demanding old engine back so that you could recoup some of your cash outlay
Old 07-10-2018, 07:29 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

My apologies if I’ve overlooked this, but I’m curious how many miles were on the original engine before it failed?
Old 07-10-2018, 07:34 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Keep you old engine if you replace. A new engine should not have a core charge and if they say it does, then I would bet someone there is wanting it for themselves. Keep the old engine and either hold on to rebuild later or sell to someone who wants to rebuild it.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:54 PM
QuickSilverC6
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Do a new engine swap with a LS7 or LSX or just do a built LS3. You gotta have some great performance shops around you.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:28 PM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I would spend the 8K for the 495 HP engine with the 50,000 mile warranty. Thats a whole lot of engine for not that much money. If you ever sell it the resale should be good.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:04 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I can only tell you what I did when my '05 developed a lifter issue.

I replaced it with an LS3 crate engine, along with most of the stuff under the hood for not too much more than what I was quoted a few places for an engine rebuild. ZIP did mine.

I don't regret it one bit!
Old 07-11-2018, 12:51 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

An LS7 crate motor can be had for around $12k these days.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:39 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I would rebuild the heads, new cam, lifters, timing chain. Or.....

A complete installed package with warranty from Lingenfelter.

https://www.lingenfelter.com/product...l#.W0XPp8IpCUk

$12,000 includes....

C6 Corvette ZO6 427 CID LS7 630 HP

Package Includes:
- Engine removal & removal of intake manifold, cylinder heads, camshaft
- Lingenfelter CNC porting & polishing of cylinder heads for optimal flow
- Lingenfelter multi-angle valve job & surfacing for 11.5:1 compression
- Lingenfelter dual valve springs, titanium retainers & valve locks
- Lingenfelter ZO6 GT19 camshaft by Competition Cams
- Lingenfelter High Flow C6 ZO6 Air Induction & 4" diameter Lingenfelter Mass Air Sensor
- Port Matched LS7 intake manifold
- Ported and polished LS7 throttle body
- GM Head gaskets & head bolts
- 160 degree thermostat
- American Racing Long Tube Headers & high flow catalysts
- Lingenfelter Logo Koolsox spark plug wire thermal heat protectors
- Professional engine assembly and degreeing of camshaft
- Professional engine installation, testing & tuning
- Chassis dyno report before & after installation
- Excellent drivability, highway mileage not adversely effected
- Lingenfelter 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty
- Lingenfelter certificate of authenticity

Package price - $12,046.00
Old 07-11-2018, 11:37 AM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
I would rebuild the heads, new cam, lifters, timing chain. Or.....

A complete installed package with warranty from Lingenfelter.

https://www.lingenfelter.com/product...l#.W0XPp8IpCUk

$12,000 includes....

C6 Corvette ZO6 427 CID LS7 630 HP

Package Includes:
- Engine removal & removal of intake manifold, cylinder heads, camshaft
- Lingenfelter CNC porting & polishing of cylinder heads for optimal flow
- Lingenfelter multi-angle valve job & surfacing for 11.5:1 compression
- Lingenfelter dual valve springs, titanium retainers & valve locks
- Lingenfelter ZO6 GT19 camshaft by Competition Cams
- Lingenfelter High Flow C6 ZO6 Air Induction & 4" diameter Lingenfelter Mass Air Sensor
- Port Matched LS7 intake manifold
- Ported and polished LS7 throttle body
- GM Head gaskets & head bolts
- 160 degree thermostat
- American Racing Long Tube Headers & high flow catalysts
- Lingenfelter Logo Koolsox spark plug wire thermal heat protectors
- Professional engine assembly and degreeing of camshaft
- Professional engine installation, testing & tuning
- Chassis dyno report before & after installation
- Excellent drivability, highway mileage not adversely effected
- Lingenfelter 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty
- Lingenfelter certificate of authenticity

Package price - $12,046.00
That price goes off him already having a 427, so figure the price would be double total
Old 07-11-2018, 01:15 PM
kozmatic
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey guys - a quick update to answer a couple questions.

- The engine has just under 38k miles.

- The dealer diagnosed the lifter buy removing the valve covers and inspecting the push rods and rocker arms. They show no signs of damage. The squeal is coming from the driver's side head and it just comes down to what else could it be? The lifter is most "likely". I was not aware of this diag method until this morning I went to the dealer to talk to them in person.

After sleeping on this over night, I changed my mind about the replacement...for now. I told them that a engine replacement seems like the nuclear option for a bad lifter and indicated that I was going to take the car elsewhere for a 2nd opinion and they didn't like that. So we agreed that they need a visual inspection of the lifters and cam. I'm assuming that the cam will have been damaged too. So we agreed that if it is, I'll purchase a replacement cam myself for them to install along with their lifters for the same $4k cost previously quoted. The cam is about $400.

If they get in there and can show me that the engine is damaged beyond reasonable repair they've dropped the LS3 engine swap cost by $2k. So that option is still there. Additionally - they have included the LS376/495 engine option for $9,300 +tax, installed.

I expect to be able to visually inspect the lifters/cam myself tomorrow and will go from there.

Side note - I never realized you could haggle with the service department. I thought that was reserved for sales. Who knew.
The following users liked this post:
Jstan2014 (07-12-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 02:25 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

No offense, guys but I never could understand why people want all these problems because 400-425 horsepower isn't enough for them. Guess I'm just gettin' old.

Get notified of new replies

To My nightmare - need recommendation!

Old 07-11-2018, 02:36 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy W1
No offense, guys but I never could understand why people want all these problems because 400-425 horsepower isn't enough for them. Guess I'm just gettin' old.
That's the key right there, for most of us. My best friend is a recent member of this camp.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:58 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

I mean, (and once again- no offense) I've had mine for about seven years. I've only romped on it hard about three times when I first got it. And all three times I almost lost control of it-it went all over the road.

I was at a cruise in last night and a guy parked next to me in a 427 Camaro with, he said 680 hp. He was complaining because his back tires were bald. "And those things ain't cheap either", he replied.

Aaaaaaaaaaah...OK.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:10 PM
rmtt
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy W1

I've pretty much joined that club. Last C5 was 500+ to the wheels, and with the clutch to hold it I found myself driving it less and less.

My C6 is nice, but I did do a Ported Fast 102 and Longtubes. Car put down something like 404/407 rwhp/rwtq on a conservative tune.

After driving that....its the perfect blend of power and driveabillity without having to go into the valvetrain which inevitably means more wear. Plus I don't have to deal with that classic "sewing machine" sound either! 😁
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (08-26-2018)

Quick Reply: My nightmare - need recommendation!