C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My nightmare - need recommendation!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 09:03 AM
kozmatic
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default My nightmare - need recommendation!

Well, about 3 months into ownership and catastrophe has struck. While driving 55 mph this past Sunday I had a sudden loud engine squeal and it started running terribly. Long story but had it towed to local Chevy dealer. They just called confirming a lifter is bad.

It's a 2008 base with BTR stage 4 cam. They're saying the lifter doesn't show any signs of damage, so the thinking is the cam is ok. But they'll still need to confirm that.

So, change out all the lifters - $4k with 2 year warranty on the parts/labor.

Or engine swap (their idea for an option) - $8k. That's a brand new LS3 with 5 year/100k warranty. No custom cam after that.

I'm looking for options. Does anyone have any recommendations for a performance shop in the north Florida area? Anywhere I can get some ideas, alternatives, help.... whatever?

​​​
​​​​​
Old 07-10-2018, 09:54 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Tough call. How is your financial situation?
Old 07-10-2018, 10:01 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Does the custom cam really matter all that much to you? Do you have any other supporting mods to go with the cam?
Old 07-10-2018, 10:02 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Is it possible a 'bad lifter' shows 'no damage'?
I mean if it's 'bad', right?

How long you'd planned owning this car would dictate course, for me.
Long term maybe invest the $8 large on a new LS3.
OTOH if planning to turn it over soon address lifter(s) at half the cost, then flip.

G/L w/ decision, update thread which way's chosen.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:45 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by kozmatic
Well, about 3 months into ownership and catastrophe has struck. While driving 55 mph this past Sunday I had a sudden loud engine squeal and it started running terribly. Long story but had it towed to local Chevy dealer. They just called confirming a lifter is bad.

It's a 2008 base with BTR stage 4 cam. They're saying the lifter doesn't show any signs of damage, so the thinking is the cam is ok. But they'll still need to confirm that.

Or engine swap (their idea for an option) - $8k. That's a brand new LS3 with 5 year/100k warranty. No custom cam after that.

I'm looking for options. Does anyone have any recommendations for a performance shop in the north Florida area? Anywhere I can get some ideas, alternatives, help.... whatever?

​​
The red parts conflict each other.

Especially: "They're saying the lifter doesn't show any signs of damage, so the thinking is the cam is ok."

So if the lifters and cam are okay, what *IS* wrong with the engine?
Old 07-10-2018, 10:55 AM
kozmatic
Advanced

Thanks guys, the financial situation it tight when going with the engine replacement mainly due to some other plans I had this year. But it's not going to kill me either way.

The cam is obviously fun, loud and I'd miss it. But there may be another option. GM has a LS376/480 option. It's an LS3 cammed from the factory with 480HP. Dealer said same warranty applies. I've got to get their price on that and that might be the choice.

I have cold intake, headers, x pipe and 3 inch into Borla S-Type II, so it might still be close to what it is now.

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19369333.html

​​​​
Old 07-10-2018, 10:58 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Second opinion is called for here, for sure.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:03 AM
kozmatic
Advanced

Yeah, the bad part is it's non-driving so any other options require a tow, etc. But where the hell do I even go?
Old 07-10-2018, 11:04 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by hope2
Second opinion is called for here, for sure.
I'm still curious about the first diagnosis. Apparently, the cam and lifters are ok.

So what is wrong with the engine? Does anybody know?
Old 07-10-2018, 11:13 AM
kozmatic
Advanced

The squel sound is the lifter bearing. We know that. They're saying they haven't seen anything to think there's cam damage, but really without a visual inspection there's no way to know for sure. Problem is there's a lot of work to get to the cam and if there is damage, labor costs to get that far along with a new cam just got me cost close to the engine replacement cost. So it's a gamble.

Of course, all of this is over the phone and I've not been able to to inspect anything myself. So I'm taking their word. I've been using this dealership for years and I have as much trust in them as you can have in a dealership. For whatever that's worth....
Old 07-10-2018, 11:26 AM
kozmatic
Advanced

Well, the LS376/480 isn't an option now.... the cost for that just went up to $12k. Nowhere near worth it. I need to find another shop to talk to.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:28 AM
dsmith1523
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 2nd opinion wouldn't hurt, maybe a local mechanic or specialized shop?

Sorry to hear about it, regardless.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:30 AM
kozmatic
Advanced

Originally Posted by dsmith1523
A 2nd opinion wouldn't hurt, maybe a local mechanic or specialized shop?

Sorry to hear about it, regardless.
Thanks, I'm trying to find another option. I guess everyone took today off at local shops - can't even get anyone to answer the phone
Old 07-10-2018, 11:32 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Or engine swap (their idea for an option) - $8k. That's a brand new LS3 with 5 year/100k warranty. No custom cam after that...​​​
Engine swap. Keep the old motor and fix or fix and sell.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:46 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 653 Likes on 472 Posts

​​​
​​​​​
$8K for a factory crate motor installed sounds like a good deal.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:48 AM
kozmatic
Advanced

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Engine swap. Keep the old motor and fix or fix and sell.
I'm leaning that way...ugh
Old 07-10-2018, 12:25 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

If you put a new engine in, you’ll be upside down... an 08 is only worth 22k or so. Get more opinions. Find you least expensive repair. Your at the tipping point in respect to making serious/expensive repairs to a decade old C6

Get notified of new replies

To My nightmare - need recommendation!

Old 07-10-2018, 01:16 PM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Personally I'm skeptical of the diagnosis. These days most dealer shops are parts swappers, they're used to doing warranty work where they don't even bother to diagnose, they just drop in a replacement crate engine and send the bad lump off to GM to be remanufactured. I would find a reputable indie who does in-house LS rebuilds on a regular basis. They may find the actual problem and it might not cost that much to fix. WIth an indie there would also be the option of dropping in a used engine, which I don't think a dealer will do. And even if you went with a crate engine, the labor would still be less at an indie. Worst-case you could part it out or sell it as a roller to someone wanting to build a track car.
The following 2 users liked this post by ben z:
corvette312 (08-27-2018), JerriVette (08-26-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 01:33 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

If there's no damage to the lifter bores, lifters or cam, how can they be sure that was the actual cause of the failure. How was this diagnosis achieved? Were the heads removed? Compression check? Oil checked for particles? Etc etc.

We're not getting the whole of the story here. If a lifter bearing failed, it usually takes out the cam at minimum, commonly the lifter bore and pushrod as well. Occasionally the rocker and valve spring. If the heads were removed it's generally a more reliable diagnosis, if they weren't then I wouldn't trust any diagnosis.

Either way, I'd take it somewhere else.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:52 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

I they repair it is the 2 year warranty on the complete engine or just the lifters? If somehow they warranty the engine I’d repair it and keep the cam.

Quick Reply: My nightmare - need recommendation!