C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active Handling System

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 10:42 AM
my2010vet
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Active Handling System

On my 2010 GS the AHS warning light came on saying service is required. What does that mean and what needs to be done? The engine light also comes on and acts like it is running on 4 cylinders at low speeds. At 50mph not so bad. I can not get the lights to go off and even tried to reset with no luck. What's up. Is it a easy fix I hope? I only have 26,000 miles on this car and it's like new. I know what the AHS is for but I have never used it because I never drive it in the rain. Thanks in advance, mike....................
Old 09-20-2021, 10:53 AM
grpweld
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm not sure where to start! So I'm going to recommend that you hit the search bar for "AHS warning light came on saying service is required"
You do have a issue that needs to be addressed, It can be many things including ABS sensors, SWPS, even TPMS if I recall correctly

Last edited by grpweld; 09-20-2021 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:24 PM
Carl Timonen
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I had the same come up on the DIC. Took me 3 start ups to be able to get the reduced(limp)mode to clear. Got home and pulled the code, something to do with either the TPS or TAC voltages. Cleared the code and hasn't appeared since.
Old 09-20-2021, 03:24 PM
LLL746
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the Service Active Handling warning a few months ago. My Chevy dealer (they have some service guys that I trust and like) found a problem with the steering wheel sensor. Replaced. I've had no problems since then.
Old 09-20-2021, 03:28 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Easiest fix...disconnect the battery (both terminals) for 10 minutes. Not fixed, pull the wheel speed sensors clean them, and plug them back in. Still not fixed? Now it's probably the time to contact the stealership.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:55 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by my2010vet
On my 2010 GS the AHS warning light came on saying service is required. What does that mean and what needs to be done? The engine light also comes on and acts like it is running on 4 cylinders at low speeds. At 50mph not so bad. I can not get the lights to go off and even tried to reset with no luck. What's up. Is it a easy fix I hope? I only have 26,000 miles on this car and it's like new. I know what the AHS is for but I have never used it because I never drive it in the rain. Thanks in advance, mike....................
The Check Engine and Active Handling lights mean that fault codes are stored in both systems. Your next task is to retrieve the codes.

You'll have at least one powertrain code which will be retrievable with a generic scan tool, but you'll also have one or more stored in your ABS computer (called the EBCM) which will require a GM-aware tool, such as a Tech 2, to retrieve.

Do not disconnect the battery or otherwise attempt to clear the codes before reading them. That's like deleting a voicemail before listening to it. It doesn't "fix" anything.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 12:07 AM
NextOne
Melting Slicks

Received 1,046 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by LLL746
I had the Service Active Handling warning a few months ago. My Chevy dealer (they have some service guys that I trust and like) found a problem with the steering wheel sensor. Replaced. I've had no problems since then.
@LLL746 I've been have the AHS error off an on for years. What did they charge for the new steering wheel sensor? PM me if you like.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:27 AM
grpweld
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by NextOne
@LLL746 I've been have the AHS error off an on for years. What did they charge for the new steering wheel sensor? PM me if you like.
Most of the time the sensor does not need replacement.! Mine just needed the connector cleaned up with electrical cleaner
Old 09-21-2021, 01:02 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

iirc some people have had a spark plug wire come off with these symptoms.

But, just in case, check out the AHS recall sticky too.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:54 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,193 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

The very first thing to check is the battery. Is it weak or old? If so replace it. C5/6/7 are all very sensitive to low battery voltage, and will throw weird errors (service Active Handling, Traction Control, etc) that would seem completely unrelated. If you're sure the battery isn't the issue, check your plugs/wires to make sure one isn't arcing, which as others mentioned can cause this. Beyond that you're getting into things like the yaw sensor, steering position sensor, etc.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:16 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by torquetube
The Check Engine and Active Handling lights mean that fault codes are stored in both systems. Your next task is to retrieve the codes.

You'll have at least one powertrain code which will be retrievable with a generic scan tool, but you'll also have one or more stored in your ABS computer (called the EBCM) which will require a GM-aware tool, such as a Tech 2, to retrieve.

Do not disconnect the battery or otherwise attempt to clear the codes before reading them. That's like deleting a voicemail before listening to it. It doesn't "fix" anything.
Fixed my issue twice now.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:59 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin
Fixed my issue twice now.
What got "fixed?" Say the OP clears the codes and they don't come right back. Now all he knows is the problem is intermittent. Intermittent faults are difficult to diagnose, and he just threw away the best available diagnosis. If MIL comes back in a month, is it the same problem or a new one?
Old 09-22-2021, 08:43 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

I get what you're saying...but sometimes (and in my case, twice) it was just a freak thing that went away after I did those two things. Car has been fine ever since. His case may be different, sure. But start simple and cheap. If this doesn't work...dig deeper. That's all I was offering.
Jason71 (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 10:09 AM
Jason71
Burning Brakes

Received 802 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
What got "fixed?" Say the OP clears the codes and they don't come right back. Now all he knows is the problem is intermittent. Intermittent faults are difficult to diagnose, and he just threw away the best available diagnosis. If MIL comes back in a month, is it the same problem or a new one?
What got “fixed”?? Nothing, but maybe it was just one of the many electrical gremlins that these cars sometimes get as they age. If there truly is a problem, no harm done......it will come back with the same codes. I’m with Ronin......start simple and cheap. It doesn’t cost anything, and the ECBM will tell you what you need to know. Like you suggested earlier.......write down the codes before you clear them with a battery disconnect, but I would still try clearing the codes to see if there really is a problem.

JMHO of course
Old 09-22-2021, 11:51 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jason71
What got “fixed”?? Nothing, but maybe it was just one of the many electrical gremlins that these cars sometimes get as they age. If there truly is a problem, no harm done......it will come back with the same codes. I’m with Ronin......start simple and cheap. It doesn’t cost anything, and the ECBM will tell you what you need to know. Like you suggested earlier.......write down the codes before you clear them with a battery disconnect, but I would still try clearing the codes to see if there really is a problem.

JMHO of course
My quarrel isn't with clearing codes. It's with clearing codes without retrieving them first.
Jason71 (09-22-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Active Handling System

Quick Reply: Active Handling System