C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with a Dumb Question

Old 07-12-2018, 09:51 AM
Cardinal Flyer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Help with a Dumb Question

Have been running this question for several days on the Audio/Electronics Forum without a response. Hoping someone here can help me:
I’ve read posts that talk about “Front” when referring to the C6 center mono speaker and “Rear” when referring to the C6 2 mono rear speakers. My Dumb Question is when referring to the C6 HU stereo left and right “Front and Rear” outputs does this refer to the tweeter and bass door speakers or.....? I'm planning to run new tweeters and new mid-ranges (in the Bose door sub location) off a new amp, with a self powered Sub in the trunk so I need to figure this out!
Thanks for helping educate me!
Old 07-12-2018, 03:44 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

My guess is yes, but why not ask the same question in the Corvette General Topics/Audio/Electronics section. I'm sure someone there could answer.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:39 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,065 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The front speakers are your left and right door speakers ... Replace them with a set of 2-way component speakers consisting of a 6 1/2" midrange / woofer [and] a separate 1" tweeter in each door

The rear speakers are the left and right speakers mounted high behind your head on the sides ... Replace them with 4 ohm 2-way coaxial speakers consisting of single 5 1/4" midrange / woofer (1 on each side)

The center speaker is mounted in the center of the dash .... most folks just disconnect that speaker

In my 2011 GS with the non-Bose audio system, I did not replace the HU ... The OEM head unit is not what causes the poor audio quality ... it's the OEM amplifier that is junk.

I replaced my OEM amp with a 5-channel Arc Audio amp (mounted behind the passenger seat) .

Channel 1: Powers the left front (door) speakers
Channel 2: Powers the right front (door) speakers
Channel 3: Powers the left rear speaker
Channel 4: Powers the right rear speaker
Channel 5: Powers the subwoofer I installed in the rear cargo area - right side cubby (see photo below) .... My car is a coupe ... Vert may be different

Attachment 48333367

Attachment 48335933

The AOEM-GM24 taps into the HU and has RCA input connectors so standard RCA audio interconnect cables can be used between the HU and the 5-channel amp.

The following 2 users liked this post by Turbo6TA:
Cardinal Flyer (07-12-2018), kevinjm (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 07:58 PM
kevinjm
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for that very detailed reply.

Any reason why the center speaker is left disconnected? I imagine it's a PITA to replace...

Old 07-12-2018, 08:14 PM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinjm
Thanks for that very detailed reply.

Any reason why the center speaker is left disconnected? I imagine it's a PITA to replace...
There have been posts about this in the past. Apparently,stereo separation is improved by disconnecting the center speaker. I think it's pretty simple to access.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:45 PM
Cardinal Flyer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Turbo,
Thanks a lot for your response---you kept me from making a BAAAAAD mistake!
It's so counter-intuitive that Bose would take the Rear stereo HU output, then (presumably) run it through it's amp (or something) to convert it to a mono signal for the stock rear speakers!
I'm old school enough to love the idea of stereo rear speakers, but will want to make sure they don't rival the door speakers in volume; I'll have to research that.
Again, thanks to all for the quick response! I still haven't gotten any reaction to this post on the CF's Audio Forum; I gather that forum isn't attracting the audio wizards that clearly haunted it in the past---But the C6 folks come through for me again!

Get notified of new replies

To Help with a Dumb Question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with a Dumb Question