C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shimmy at speed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 09:52 PM
wickerpete
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Shimmy at speed.

Hello. Looking for help from the collective wisdom of the forum. New owner from Wisconsin of a 2012 GS with 16,000 miles that I bought last summer with 9000 miles on it. When I took it out this spring after sitting for the winter I notice a shimmy in the car which seems to be coming from the front end. It’s pretty subtle and I really don’t remember it last summer but didn’t put many miles on it and was still getting to know the car so it might have been there. I can feel it between 50 and 55 and then it seems to go away until about 70. Then between 70 and 85 I can feel it in the steering wheel. Its not there constantly but comes and goes quickly, there for a second and then gone for half a second to return again for a second and repeats in a rhythmic fashion. I was told I had a bad rim so replaced it. No better. I thought maybe I had a bad tire so I put new tires on the car but the problem continues and isn’t any better with the new tires. I’ve had the tires rebalanced and no improvement. There is nothing obviously loose in the front end that I can see although I am no mechanic. Planning on going to the Black hills rally next week and would really like to go 80 😊. Hate the thought of bringing it to the dealer.
Any thoughts on this issue would be appreciated.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:01 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

My first thought would have been flat spots from sitting but you said you put new tires. Did you have them roadforce balanced? And if you did have them roadforced what was your roadforce numbers?
Old 07-12-2018, 10:05 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by wickerpete
Hello. Looking for help from the collective wisdom of the forum. New owner from Wisconsin of a 2012 GS with 16,000 miles that I bought last summer with 9000 miles on it. When I took it out this spring after sitting for the winter I notice a shimmy in the car which seems to be coming from the front end. It’s pretty subtle and I really don’t remember it last summer but didn’t put many miles on it and was still getting to know the car so it might have been there. I can feel it between 50 and 55 and then it seems to go away until about 70. Then between 70 and 85 I can feel it in the steering wheel. Its not there constantly but comes and goes quickly, there for a second and then gone for half a second to return again for a second and repeats in a rhythmic fashion. I was told I had a bad rim so replaced it. No better. I thought maybe I had a bad tire so I put new tires on the car but the problem continues and isn’t any better with the new tires. I’ve had the tires rebalanced and no improvement. There is nothing obviously loose in the front end that I can see although I am no mechanic. Planning on going to the Black hills rally next week and would really like to go 80 😊. Hate the thought of bringing it to the dealer.
If you've replaced the tires and the wheels aren't bent and have a correct balance the only thing left to do is an alignment. Though it's possible to get a bad new tire it's highly unlikely. What did the tire wear look like on the old tires?
Old 07-12-2018, 10:11 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Tie rod issue maybe
Old 07-12-2018, 10:18 PM
wickerpete
Advanced

Thank you. The local Tires Plus shop did road force balance the front ones and the numbers were OK although I don’t remember exactly what they were I think they were around 15. They said they couldn’t do the rears because they were too wide. I’ve been convinced that this is a tireor a wheel problem but can’t seem to get it fixed even with new tires and a new wheel.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:22 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tires and wheels seem to be eliminated. Seems like you need to look elsewhere.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:36 PM
wickerpete
Advanced

Thanks for your reply. That’s what I’m thinking too.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:40 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Thank you. The local Tires Plus shop did road force balance the front ones and the numbers were OK although I don’t remember exactly what they were I think they were around 15. They said they couldn’t do the rears because they were too wide. I’ve been convinced that this is a tireor a wheel problem but can’t seem to get it fixed even with new tires and a new wheel.
Those are not good numbers for a Corvette. Should be under 10 preferably around 5. Were the rims match mounted to the tires? Yes it is a tire or wheel problem, you just need a competent tire guy who knows how to use the roadforce machine. And by the way not being able to do the rears because they are too wide is utter nonsense! That should have been your first clue the guy does not know how to operate the Hunter machine. BTW when you put the wheels back on the car did you torque them to 100 ft lbs? Another must on a Corvette.

Last edited by Oh Boy; 07-12-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:52 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
Those are not good numbers for a Corvette. Should be under 10 preferably around 5. Were the rims match mounted to the tires? Yes it is a tire or wheel problem, you just need a competent tire guy who knows how to use the roadforce machine. And by the way not being able to do the rears because they are too wide is utter nonsense! That should have been your first clue the guy does not know how to operate the Hunter machine. BTW when you put the wheels back on the car did you torque them to 100 ft lbs? Another must on a Corvette.
OP had the same problem with previous tires and wheels. Chances of having identical problem twice is very unlikely.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:05 PM
wickerpete
Advanced

Thanks Oh Boy. Good info. did torque to 100ftlbs. Don’t know if they were match mounted. Guess I need a new tire guy more familiar with Vettes.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:16 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by saplumr

OP had the same problem with previous tires and wheels. Chances of having identical problem twice is very unlikely.
He said he wasn't sure if he had the problem last year before he put it away for the winter. Then having it laid up all winter his tires could have flat spotted and when he put new tires on now the tech could have balanced them wrong so nothing is resolved. I still am betting with the proper tire guy on the Hunter machine he will have found a bad or unbalanced tire or bad rim.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:18 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Thanks Oh Boy. Good info. did torque to 100ftlbs. Don’t know if they were match mounted. Guess I need a new tire guy more familiar with Vettes.
You need a new tire guy who is familiar with the proper art of using a Hunter roadforce machine!

Old 07-12-2018, 11:18 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
He said he wasn't sure if he had the problem last year before he put it away for the winter. Then having it laid up all winter his tires could have flat spotted and when he put new tires on now the tech could have balanced them wrong so nothing is resolved. I still am betting with the proper tire guy on the Hunter machine he will have found a bad or unbalanced tire or bad rim.
Today’s tire technology virtually eliminates flat spotting.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:19 PM
wickerpete
Advanced

I guess I’ll have to look around to find someone else who has a hunter machine and give it one more try. Thanks for the info
Old 07-13-2018, 06:30 PM
wickerpete
Advanced

I guess I’ll have to look around to find someone else who has a hunter machine and give it one more try. Thanks for the info
Thanks for all your help guys. I took your advice and googled Hunter road force balancer elite in my area and went to discount tire. Talked to the guy at length and he seem to know what he was talking about. Told him I needed the tires balanced to 10 or less and he completely understood. When he was done the numbers were nine in the front and 10 in the rears. He said he had to add weight to every wheel and had to add a quarter pound to one of them. It seem to do the trick. At 80 to 85 it now runs pretty smooth. I guess not all tire installers are created equal. Thanks to the great advice from forum members.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:06 PM
hrt vlv
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

If you have eliminated tire and wheel problem, you may have a caliper hanging up. use an IR thermometer and check rotors after run.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:20 PM
wickerpete
Advanced

Good idea. Thanks for your reply. It looks like a good road force balance might have done the trick.

Get notified of new replies

To Shimmy at speed.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:26 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

For what its worth, i had the same thing happen on my c7 z06 earlier this year. New wheels and new tires acted identical to what you are experiencing Took a different shop that force balanced all four. Problem gone. Good Luck.

Last edited by RACE U; 07-17-2018 at 03:09 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:33 PM
wickerpete
Advanced

Thanks Race U!
Old 07-14-2018, 09:35 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Just curious, but what tires are on this car?

Quick Reply: Shimmy at speed.