C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodbye, So Long and Thanks for all the fish

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 09:30 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Goodbye, So Long and Thanks for all the fish

Esteemed members of the Corvette Forum, I wanted to say thank you for all the great information, the Tech Help and some of the best laughs reading posts for the last 18 years. Especially in PR&C. OMG, some of the folks there can either make you laugh or cry, sometimes both.

Today I sold my beloved Sancha, my 2008 Victory Red Corvette. I was sad to see her go, but I ended up buying an Audi S5. I hope that the Audi Forums are as helpful and friendly as the folks here.

My son looking over Dad's new purchase

Buying the TIE Fighter

Thank you so much for everything, and may the wind always be at your backs.

Last edited by KBoltz; 07-13-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:43 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You will be back, once you drove a Corvette, there isn't anything better out there for the price and speed.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:58 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Congratulations! I think you made a good choice. Plenty of high-tech goodies and excellent traction in the S5. Fast enough for any reasonable person too.

Looks like a VW Golf behind your son in that picture. That's what I recently picked up (2018 R with DSG) to replace my used 2005 base coupe which was starting to annoy me with its annoying annoyances. The Golf R is not a 1 for 1 trade but it's fast, handles great, practical, is brand new, my wife can get in/out of it easier and did I say it's fast? It's also a sleeper and I don't have idiots racing me every other day like in the Corvette. I never got sucked into that BS but was tired of it happening.

Have fun!

Kevin
The following users liked this post:
KBoltz (07-14-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 11:00 PM
LV Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 1bdvet
You will be back, once you drove a Corvette, there isn't anything better out there for the price and speed.
I agree he will be back someday. Once a Corvette person, always a Corvette person. But you have to admit, the Audi is a beautiful car. Good luck with the new car.
KBoltz (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 06:54 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Good choice on the Audi....Nice car! Congrats......
Old 07-14-2018, 10:42 AM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

My wife's looking seriously at an A5 Sportback - not exactly an S5 but built on basically the same platform. They're very nice cars.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:32 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 705 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 07-14-2018, 12:37 PM
OneBadLT123
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

See ya soon once your warranty expires on your new Audi
Old 07-14-2018, 12:45 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Enjoy your maintenance and repair bills!

And you don't have to leave OT and PR&C, nobody on there owns a vette either.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:31 PM
Celticknot
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

My daughter has an S5 sport back for 4 months now. It is a Really Nice ride! Not a corvette though.
KBoltz (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 10:20 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 919cw313
Enjoy your maintenance and repair bills!

And you don't have to leave OT and PR&C, nobody on there owns a vette either.
LOL. OT and PR&C, yeah no one there owns a Vette. I wonder if some of them even OWN A CAR!!!

My kid brother, John, owns Caliber Motorsports, and he just did an S4 engine build and driveline swap into an A4 Estate wagon for a friend of ours. Real sleeper. He knows the ins and outs of the Audi platform, hence the reason I went with the S5. One of the other reasons is that teen aged son of mine. Even on his own policy, our car insurance was going to skyrocket $2400 a year, even if he isn't listed as a driver. Just because he has access to a sports car like the Corvette. Sometimes I think insurance is the worst scandal on the face of the earth.

The insurance premium on the S5 for me is, $400 every six months for full coverage with a $250 deductible. What I save in insurance will pay for the maintenance and repair bills. We drove the TIE Fighter (the S5's nickname) in a torrential downpour last night. It was stable as a bank vault. My wife was driving (I forgot my regular glasses, all I had were my prescription Oakleys and I couldn't see squat) and was grinning from ear to ear. Happy wife equals happy life. Plus we both own these.

My Honda Fury and her Kawasaki Vulcan 650S

After I washed, clay barred, washed again and applied Top Coat F11

My son's VW GTI in the background. Fun little car, except cleaning the bloody intake valves. Damn direct injection motors. Thank God for CRC intake valve cleaner and Sea Foam.

We plan on getting a track day car only. Seriously thinking about an Ariel Atom, once I retire and no longer have to move all over the bloody place, and the Son is out of the house and in the US Air Force. Feeding him is like having a new car payment!!! 6 feet 2 inches tall and like 4% body fat. Works out 6 days a week. The kid eats his body weight in protein. We have to buy a damn steer every year to keep up with his food intake. I should have just bought a ranch and raised cows and chickens, it would have saved me a ton of money.

Last edited by KBoltz; 07-14-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:32 AM
heisnuts
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 457 Likes on 208 Posts

I did the exact same thing almost a year ago. When Audi released the new redesigned S5 last year, I really debated on ordering a new C7 or new S5 to replace my 2005 C6, which I had owned since new. I ended up ordering a new S5 Coupe with just about every option except for their dynamic steering. What steered me to the S5 was all of the performance, luxury and toys that it offers and actually came in a little less than if I had bought a fully loaded C7. I have found that having the Quattro system in the S5 makes a huge difference in how the car handles, especially when accelerating hard out of turns on back country roads, which I do all the time. It also makes the car so nice to dive all year long, which was a blast over the Winter being able to take it out in the snow, which was something I would not have even dreamed of with the C6. I found the car so nice that it has became my daily driver that I look forward to driving every day. The 0 to 60 numbers on paper are identical to my C6, but the S5 just feels quicker on how it delivers that performance.

Audi also has done a really nice job adding a lot of technology to the S5. One of the features I really like is the drivers assistance package with traffic jam assist. When I am stuck in stop and go traffic, turning on the system allows me to sit back and let the car almost take over completely. It will "see" the car in front of me and take care of the stopping and going by itself. It also sees the lane markings and will keep the car centered in the lane, including following curves in the road. During long road trips the same system turns into adaptive cruise control and will act as normal cruise control but always be looking to adjust on its own if the car in front of me slows or stops. Since the car also "sees" speed limit signs as well (and displays the current limit in the HUD and gauge cluster) I can even set the system to keep the cruise set to the current speed limit or tell it to go +5 or +7 over the limit if I want. Then there's Audi's new virtual cockpit that allows you to configure how the gauge cluster looks and what it displays since it is just one big screen with no analog gauges at all.

Then there is all the little toys that just make the car fun and cool. Things like lighted door sills that look awesome at night when entering and exiting the car in addition to what Audi calls Audi Beam Rings that is a LED projection on the bottom of both doors that projects the Audi rings onto the ground when the door is open. Then there's the LED lights in the foot wells, cup holders, interior door panels and dash panel that can be changed to over 20 different colors or shut off completely if wanted. There's also a foot operated trunk release that allows you to open the trunk by kicking your foot under the rear bumper and even massaging seats that I have found really nice even on short drives.

Finally, there is the service support that I have found far exceeds the service I received from my local Chevy dealers. So far there have only been a few service visits for some squeaks and rattles and oil changes, but every one of those visits far exceeded any of the visits I had with my C6. My local Audi dealer always has new Audi loaners on site for even minor services, with everything from their A4 models all the way up to their A8 models and everything in between. Their shop looks like a clean room with tile floors that looks like you could eat off of them, and the equipment looks new instead of some of the pictures we see here on the forum from Chevy service bays. I must admit, I was a little nervous when the S5 went in for it's first visit for rattles, especially since I knew the repair would require taking apart some of the interior, but over the few visits for rattles and service work, I have been impressed to find on the return that I have not been able to find and damage or even marks where they have had to work on the car. I used to do all the service work on my C6, but after seeing the shop and work from my local dealer Audi made it a no brainer by offering a service package for $869 that covers all of the factory services (including spark plugs at 45K) all the way up to 50,000 miles. When the first service came up I was impressed that the service department already know that the new S5 was one of the first Audi models to switch to a new 0W-20 oil, and they had already ordered the new oil before my car came in for service and even gave me the oil remaining in the last quart since it takes 7.4 quarts and they did not want to overfill it by just dumping the 8th quart in completely. I also couldn't find any signs of residual oil or hand prints anywhere on the car so I was pretty impressed.

I must admit, I will miss the attention the C6 would attract on the road and the Audi forums are nowhere as active or helpful as this forum. However, I must say the S5 puts as big as a smile on my face as my C6 did and I have the benefit of being able to drive it everyday. I am now at almost one year and 11,000 miles with a lot of those miles being fun back country road drives like I did with my C6.

The following 2 users liked this post by heisnuts:
KBoltz (07-15-2018), kevinkar (07-15-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Goodbye, So Long and Thanks for all the fish

Quick Reply: Goodbye, So Long and Thanks for all the fish