C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So many for sale

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 11:07 AM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by marinablu67
I don't read the NYTimes, or for that matter any newspaper. I get all my information on the internet!
i actually get all of my news from facebook.
The following users liked this post:
marinablu67 (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 11:55 AM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

You'll see more C7's for sale also because GM makes a ****-ton of them. 2009-2013 was something like 12k-16k per year. 2014-2017, 32k-40k.

And Corvettes in general aren't driven like other cars, they average less miles per year than all other non-exotics and less than half the miles of normal cars.

Last edited by 919cw313; 07-14-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Gotta-Qik-C7 (07-15-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 07:27 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The total production of all C6 Corvettes from 05-13 was about 215,000 units, the production total so far (through 2017) for the C7 Corvettes from 14-17 is about 145,000 units, more C7 cars are being built as the numbers indicate
Old 07-15-2018, 12:15 PM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

The C7 has been out for many years now so of course sales are way down. There really is no upside to upgrading unless you go Z06 or ZR1. The LT1 has 460HP vs 430 or 436 for the LS3. You may get a bit more tech but get poorer visibility, cylinder deactivation, a cramped interior, and the ugliest rear end in Corvette history. The jury is still out on wether the LT1 with direct injection can go 2 to 300 thousand miles like the reliable LS3. The honeymoon phase is over with GM’s attempt to lure new buyers with its radical redesign. What can they do to bring back the die hard Vette guy who just has no interest in the current car?

Last edited by GrandSportRob; 07-15-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:38 PM
rmtt
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandSportRob
The C7 has been out for many years now so of course sales are way down. There really is no upside to upgrading unless you go Z06 or ZR1. The LT1 has 460HP vs 430 or 436 for the LS3. You may get a bit more tech but get poorer visibility, cylinder deactivation, a cramped interior, and the ugliest rear end in Corvette history. The jury is still out on wether the LT1 with direct injection can go 2 to 300 thousand miles like the reliable LS3. The honeymoon phase is over with GM’s attempt to lure new buyers with its radical redesign. What can they do to bring back the die hard Vette guy who just has no interest in the current car?

I kind of feel the same way. It took me years before I sold my Fixed Roof Coupe C5 to move to a C6. I just didn't care for the long sloping rear window of any coupe, but the C6 grew on me especially since the design wasn't so radically different from the C5. The interior upgrades were what swayed me in the end......and would probably be the determining factor if I ever moved to a C7. But the exterior design is so much different between the C6 and C7..... That would definitely take a long time to get used to.

I've always waited for the next generation to come out before moving up one as the prices drop so dramatically because a lot are scrambling to get the "latest and greatest"....and I can pretty much pick exactly what I want for a significant cost savings.

I had actually started mulling over getting into a C7 as those prices dropped quicker than I thought they would.

But I just recently put my longtubes and ported FAST on with a nice tune, and I'm in love all over again with my C6!
Old 07-15-2018, 02:52 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Depends on which forum you are in as to the success and popularity of the C7. I have been lurking around in the C7 forum for a while. That car has its issues, as did the C6, C5 and previous generations. But most of them love the C7 compared to their previous C6. And things like the rear end, cylinder de-activation and tighter interior tend to grow on them just like the non-hideaway headlights that many in this forum blasted on the early C6 is now a non-issue (other than the lenses hazing up). The C6 is time proven.....good or bad (depending on how you look at it). The C7 has a while to go before it can be compared to the previous generations. We shall see.
Olsarge (07-18-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 03:01 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
Someone could say that a 2013 C6 with only 13K miles must be a disappointment for the owner. Mine just hit 50,000 miles and I am not disappointed.
I agree with Bob here. OP is mentioning C7 owners that have low mileage when his own car averages less that 3k a year. With a new C7 it doesn't make sense buying a new one only to dump in a 2-3 years as you'll lose about $1k a month or more. 14 owners seemed to really get upset since they paid MSRP or above when they first came out.

I like mine so much I bought the same car twice.

But as long as people pay their bills I don't give a crap what they do with their money. Now those that file bankruptcy for getting into trouble due to material goods are just costing us all money in the end.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:09 PM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Received 217 Likes on 150 Posts

GrandSportRob,
I couldn’t of said it any better.

Last edited by Rick369; 07-15-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:36 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Basically the C7 was aimed at the "gotta have that new ****" crowd. They bought it, because it was new. Now, it isnt new, and theyve moved on to another car that is more new and gets more attention.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:22 PM
ontime
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 85 Posts

yes I agree with you about going with the z cars but I had to move my 2013 GS out of the garage and it still brings a smile to my face, might buy an extra set of wheels for it but haven't found anything I like yet. After driving my son in laws CTS V with the supercharger I would want a Z06. My wife went with me to the local Chevy dealer and told me to get it if I want but don't give up the GS. Isn't she great?
Old 07-15-2018, 09:58 PM
jamesvettes
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

back of c7 looks like a camaro which i dont like, c6 is unique and everyone on the street when i drive gives me right of way sometimes when ii go through haha
Old 07-16-2018, 09:59 AM
cal45
Drifting

Received 479 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by ontime
I was looking at the C7 for sale section and what gives with so many for sale with practically no miles. Are they that big a disappointment? I have a 2013 GS with 13K miles on it and was toying with the idea of getting a Z but seeing so many for sale might be saying something.
I noticed this too when I began looking for my new toy after a 6 year absence. I think the fact that Chevy introduced the Z06 a year after the C7 arrived, and now have the ZR1 out for 2019 - this may be one reason for the increased supply.

For me, I never really looked hard at a used C7 for two main reasons: smaller cockpit, especially as the driver foot well really narrows down towards the pedals. As I wear a prosthetic left leg, I cannot turn my left foot to adjust to the smaller space. The other reason (which has been beaten to death here) is the taillights, from 1960-2013, those were a signature mark of a Corvette. Now with that said, if someone would like to gift me a 2019 ZR1 - I wouldn't turn them down.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:13 AM
SlothX311
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

OP, I see a lot of low mileage vettes too and share the confusion. Being a relatively young vette guy, I'll never understand the notion of buying a corvette (or any sports car for that matter) to not drive it. I was at a cars and coffee maybe a month ago and I was talking specs with the guy that parked close by (In the vicinity of dozens of other vettes). First thing he says after the year, as if he was proud of how little he drives the thing, is 9k miles on a 2010 GS. Personally... I bought mine to drive the **** out of it. Its a pushrod V8 with legendary dependability and at the end of the day its not a collectable exotic thats going to go for mega money at auction by not driving it. To each their own I suppose.

Last edited by SlothX311; 07-16-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:25 AM
GS982
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 200 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

I have a '16 C7Z A8 (bought new 2 years ago), and just bought a '13 427 Vert a couple months ago. FWIW, I don't see myself driving the Z very much because I enjoy the LS7 M6 so much more. I have to keep the Z b/c it's the only auto toy I own and my wife doesn't do manuals. The C7 is much more cramped for bigger guys, visibility sucks in the coupes, and in normal cruising you can't tell the Z has any more power. You have to get the blower spinning to feel the extra power. From my experience, any time I get in the throttle and actually let the car pull, I'm approaching triple digit speeds around town or well over on a highway pull. It's hard to exploit any of the Z's power on the street without being reckless. My biggest complaint with the C7Z is that the A8 has no business being in a car of this caliber. Shifting the car manually is a joke. I know the auto is "faster", but a complete disappointment IMO. Also, if I had a do over, I would opt for the front camera as parking lots can be an expensive guessing game with the CF aero kit. Haven't smashed it yet, but know it's a real possibility.

My advice would be to wait for the ME car to come out and then decide if you want the new ME or want a C7 on the cheap when there's a glut of them, new and used, for sale due to everyone wanting the new ME car.Sounds like you have a great car to throw a blower at and call it a day.
ontime (07-17-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 11:44 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,671 Likes on 1,699 Posts

It doesn't appear to be too out of the ordinary to me. Vettes are typically pleasure cars, bought by people with disposable income. The C7 was meant to attract a younger audience because let's face it, we baby boomers are aging out of our prime car buying years and the Corvette will be in trouble if GM doesn't attract a new audience.

There have always been plenty of people who try a Corvette, decide it isn't for them, sell it and move on. There have been more C7s produced so statistics dictate there will be more for sale.

Last edited by BadAV; 07-16-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:02 PM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Just looked at a C7 ZO6 used for $73.000 . Original sticker $103,000 The seats were to narrow and my first thought was this is tighter than a coffin., Did not inpress me at all and neither did the 1963 split window coup when it came out so who knows every ones taste is diffrent.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:34 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

There are no more C7's for sale than C6's...people buy them hoping the car will do something for them that others cars have not. Then, they find out it's a bit hard to get in and out, the seats are narrow, the hood too long, the outside vision too restrictive, more power than they wanted, less power than they wanted...blah, blah, blah. These are all reasons, among others, there are so many very low mileage Vettes out there.

I have found that people who are happy with a mid-size coupe, or mid-size SUV, and never owned a Vette, will generally not be happy with a Vette, Most people on this board are exceptions to that.

Get notified of new replies

To So many for sale

Old 07-16-2018, 01:41 PM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 517 Likes on 303 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Traded my 2012 GS vert for a 2014 vert. 7 months later, sold the 14 and bought a 2013 GS vert. The C7 just didn't suit my wife and I.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:26 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

This is a generalization and always single exceptions.

Consider the life cycle of buyers of any series Corvette all the way back to C1s.

First generation buyer - these are usually people with the financial wherewithal to buy new, They tend to prefer leading edge, they're less mechanically inclined, tend to drive/use the car (or stare at it) until the warranty winds down, then trade it on the next new model (might or might be a Vette). Money (and money lost on depreciation) is relative and not as big a deal to these buyers.
Second generation buyer - Buys from the first owner, tends to be more able to care for the car out of warranty and more likely to do mods. Also more apt to take better care of the car. They more "personalize" the purchase and have more of a connect to it the first gen.
Third generation buyer - Resale Pricing now is reaching out to the buyer who really can't afford the car new by a stretch and is looking for a bargain. This is the hardest time to sell a series if you're the owner. These buyers too, can cherish the car and are more connected than first gen.
Fourth generation - these are the bottom feeders, looking for broken cars, salvage, doesn't matter. More like junk collectors hope for something for nothing.
Fifth generation - Restorers - series is old enough now that real mechanically creative types come in and can restore or make something out of "what was".

I see the C7 in the second gen, with signs of the third.
C6 is between the third and fourth (witness all the threads about bringing flood cars back to life, salvaging salvage cars, etc.)
C3 is an example where prices are heading back in a positive direction, fifth gen. Even C4s, as bad as they were, are showing slim signs of a regen life on the ZR1s.

This life cycle is not limited to Corvettes, but fit just about any car series other than pure commuter cars.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 07-16-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:05 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the combination of the new design drawing in more younger first time buyers that are not prepared for the performance of the vehicle. Enough power to scare them right out of it after a few drives. Not being able to afford it as a second car it is then sold to buy something they feel safe in.

Quick Reply: So many for sale